Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
But marriage was not a GOVERNMENTAL INSTITUTION
Nor should it have ever become a governmental institution.

A government that can allow a marriage can also prohibit a marriage. That fact should be front & center in the mind of anyone who favors same-sex marriage.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:01 AM

914 posts, read 943,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfUm View Post
Many of the things that have been written in this thread are reprehensibly homophobic in that 1980's fashion that we all though had died. So many insulting, demeaning, bigoted things have been said, I don't even know where to begin. As a gay person, I'm extremely offended, for I've never read such prejudiced comments on city-data before. Some have suggested that homosexuality is a mental illness. Well, it hasn't been considered such for over three decades by any practitioner worth his or her salt. A poster stated that child sexual abuse causes homosexuality. Wow, just wow! I can't imagine a more terrible, willfully untrue thing to say. Again, no reputable psychiatrist or psychologist takes such nonsense seriously. Someone else stated that homosexuals are mentally unstable, disease-ridden people who are fundamentally different from heterosexuals. This is nothing less than dehumanization. Is such a mean-spirited, obviously hateful claim meant to ridicule gay people even worthy of a response? My God, the hate, it's hard to imagine where it all comes from! Another poster said that homosexuals aren't as intelligent as heterosexuals--again, more homophobia, but a bit bizarre this time. And there are many more comments throughout this thread that are extremely offensive to gay people or anyone who supports LGBT equality. Reading such things, it makes me wonder if we've made any progress at all. It's hard to believe that in a progressive society in 2014, so much ignorance and vitriolic hate exist.
I am so sorry for the hatred directed your way. It's not cool, it's not Christian at all.

I came across this song on my iPod this morning, and it made me think of this thread, and the people towards whom all this hatred has been directed. This one is for you, King - and for all the other GLBT people out there.

I'm OK - by Styx, Written by Dennis DeYoung

If I could stand
Beside myself
Would I see me or maybe someone else
'Cause it's hard to please
Most everyone
When your spirit's got you on the run, on the run

They say do your best
But don't cause a fuss
Don't make waves be like the rest of us
But I can feel the tide is turning fast
'Cause deep inside I know that I can't last
Another day
Not another day!

'Cause I'm O.K.
I finally found the person I've been searching for
I'm alright
I'm feeling good about myself and that's for sure

'Cause I believed them when they said I must do things their way,
They tried to cast me in their mold
But I just had to say,
That I'm O.K.
I'm O.K. this way yes I'm O.K. Yes I'm OK!

I'm O.K.
I'm alright

I'm O.K.
I'm alright
I'm O.K.
I'm alright
I'm O.K. this way yes I'm OK!

You keep that close, King. And remember, never quit...if you quit the bastards win.
There are folks out there who got your back.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:56 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
A government that can allow a marriage can also prohibit a marriage. That fact should be front & center in the mind of anyone who favors same-sex marriage.
You can say that about anything and everything. Ergo the anti-government argument doesn't have any teeth.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:12 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Many of the things that have been written in this thread are reprehensibly homophobic in that 1980's fashion that we all though had died. So many insulting, demeaning, bigoted things have been said, I don't even know where to begin. As a gay person, I'm extremely offended, for I've never read such prejudiced comments on city-data before. Some have suggested that homosexuality is a mental illness. Well, it hasn't been considered such for over three decades by any practitioner worth his or her salt. A poster stated that child sexual abuse causes homosexuality. Wow, just wow! I can't imagine a more terrible, willfully untrue thing to say. Again, no reputable psychiatrist or psychologist takes such nonsense seriously. Someone else stated that homosexuals are mentally unstable, disease-ridden people who are fundamentally different from heterosexuals. This is nothing less than dehumanization. Is such a mean-spirited, obviously hateful claim meant to ridicule gay people even worthy of a response? My God, the hate, it's hard to imagine where it all comes from! Another poster said that homosexuals aren't as intelligent as heterosexuals--again, more homophobia, but a bit bizarre this time. And there are many more comments throughout this thread that are extremely offensive to gay people or anyone who supports LGBT equality. Reading such things, it makes me wonder if we've made any progress at all. It's hard to believe that in a progressive society in 2014, so much ignorance and vitriolic hate exist.
Greetings, KingOfUm,

The people who write and believe in such reprehensible things as you've mentioned above are in a state of denial. No, I don't mean they are closet homosexuals engaged in self-loathing.

No, they are in denial over their own immorality. Most of them, I think, understand on some level that their hatred and opposition to gays is largely irrational and, in many cases. overtly immoral. The vast majority of us were raised in such a way as to discourage this sort of prejudicial, hateful, and bullying behavior. They KNOW it is wrong - otherwise they wouldn't limit their lousy behavior to only target gays.

Therefore, they have to desperately scramble to find a justification for their bigotry. For the majority of anti-gay folks, the ONLY reason why they have such a hard time with homosexuality is because it pops their comfort bubble. That's really it. But in order to justify their behavior, they have to find a reason why that bubble was popped.

And so we're handed a virtual truckload of excuses, logical fallacies, and religious nonsense that only serve to justify their preconceived notions about gays. Because without those excuses, fallacies, and religious scripture, they wouldn't have a good reason (in their minds) to be so nasty.

Do they really believe the shyte their shoveling? Some do, I'm sure, but others are probably aware of how dumb their arguments are - especially those who have been utterly destroyed in a debate (which isn't difficult to do). Yet they still cling to their thoroughly debunked and trashed arguments as if they still have even an ounce of validity.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
I view homosexuality in much the same vein as being left-handed. People thought being a lefty was evil for thousands of years based on what's been written in religious texts.

Nowadays we think it's silly (mostly), but I'm not sure how it's any different. Lefties are typically born lefty and it's nearly impossible to change it unless you force them to (and their handwriting suffers greatly because of it).

There's some nurture involved when evaluating who teaches the child how to write, but a great deal of it is nature. It can be "fixed" like being gay, but it's never natural and the person will typically want to resort to what is natural.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I view homosexuality in much the same vein as being left-handed. People thought being a lefty was evil for thousands of years based on what's been written in religious texts.

Nowadays we think it's silly (mostly), but I'm not sure how it's any different. Lefties are typically born lefty and it's nearly impossible to change it unless you force them to (and their handwriting suffers greatly because of it).

There's some nurture involved when evaluating who teaches the child how to write, but a great deal of it is nature. It can be "fixed" like being gay, but it's never natural and the person will typically want to resort to what is natural.
Totally true about left-handedness. In fact, working in medical support as I do - I am familiar with medical terminology, and the left-side is even termed "sinister" in medical terminology...most of which comes from Latin.

For example, "Oculus Sinister" or "O.S." as it is often written...refers to the left eye.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Totally true about left-handedness. In fact, working in medical support as I do - I am familiar with medical terminology, and the left-side is even termed "sinister" in medical terminology...most of which comes from Latin.

For example, "Oculus Sinister" or "O.S." as it is often written...refers to the left eye.
Actually the Latin word for left is sinistra or sinistro, not sinister. Sinistral and dextral are the correct way to refer to the left and right side of the body. Sinister and dexter are the correct way to refer to left and right eyes.

H

Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually the Latin word for left is sinistra or sinistro, not sinister. Sinistral and dextral are the correct way to refer to the left and right side of the body. Sinister and dexter are the correct way to refer to left and right eyes.

H
True enough, I guess. Since a lot of my work involves the eyes...I'm more familiar with ophthalmologic terminology.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Awwwwww... can everybody all say awwwwww... seriously, didn't your mother tell you "never let them see you whine"? You have to know by now that it is futile to expect people to act the way you want them to. Black people have been in this country for over 400 years now and anti-black sentiment actually has been increasing as time goes on. What does that tell you about how long it will take for the gay lifestyle (it is a lifestyle regardless of how natural the cause of the desire for that lifestyle) become fully accepted. Some things just never will strike a responsive chord in the human heart. Asians have more or less overcome the initial hatred and disenfranchisement they received from the dominant culture. Blacks neveer will.

There was a time when there was a serious downside to being fat or anything else that wasn't mainstream. No tailor or dressmaker would make clothes for you if you were too gross. A certain amount of plumpness indicated prosperity and was desired even if not always attainable. Even in the modern world in many countries there is rigid social adherence to body type and fashion mainstreams. Step outside the lines and you are roundly chastised by your peers and your betters and scorned by your inferiors. Wrong? Cruel? I don't know... I see 450lb women (and men) whose only physical disability is an inodinate fondness for sugary drinks, deftly maneuvering electric power chairs around the pedestrian shoppers in Winco, and think to myself:s/he would not be that fat where I come from. They wouldn't be able to get clothes to be able to go outdoors, for one thing. The fact that heart disease is still the number one killer of Americans is why this matters. There is a real price in American lives for the politically correct "its all good" validation of every lifestyle and sub-culture.

I am atheist/agnostic, but my wife is spiritual and religious. She says that that's cool. She has her beliefs, I can have mine and its all good. Actually, its not. We can't both be right. One of us is wrong, and if its me, then she has failed me by not doing more to have brought me around to her POV. I am doing much more to bring her around to my POV than she is to explain her core principles. I think it is unreasonable of gay people such as yourself to be surprised, or upset or hurt that there isn't more support and acceptance of your chosen way of life. We can't both be right. It isn't enough that even in some of the most backward of hill towns in Appalachia gay men and women can publicly display their same sex attraction? You may not think there is anything wrong with a child being raised in a household where two parents of the same sex are free to display any amount of same sex attraction as they care to. And "wrong" is probably the word that raises your hackles. It isn't wrong for adults to walk around nude in front of their children, it isn't wrong for them to show intimate attention to one another in situations of low privacy. It's legal to do so. It does have an effect on children, however. It does influence their own thinking. Not at the time! Children that are sexually abused don't always know that its wrong at the time. They don't become promiscuous and take drugs while the abuse is going on. Its in the aftermath of the discovery and the full weight of the inevitable "oh you poor, poor, thing... you've been so awfully damaged". If you see someone gay and you find out that they have an older sibling of the same sex, you will NOT lose any money by betting that the older sibling is also gay. Genetic? A gay gene? Then why aren't the parents gay? Their parents? Their parents parents? Is this a mutation that has only occurred since anti-discrimination laws?

It is asking too much of this throw-back, mouthbreathing, over 50, traditionally raised guy to expect much sympathy for the minority of gay people that actually care what other people write about them on the Internet. I haven't been abusive, but I haven't been supportive. I think its fine to be gay. I don't think its fine to be gay and expect full acceptance by straight people. I happen to know that lesbians don't think much of gay men and vice versa. I happen to know that the gay marriage adherents don't want those rights extended to polygamous units. Isn't that a form of bigotry and intolerance? I don't see that gay people are anymore enlightened or evolved as regards their thinking about people whose lifestyles or beliefs differ from theirs.

H

Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

It is asking too much of this throw-back, mouthbreathing, over 50, traditionally raised guy...(snip)
You said it. No one else did.

Now that you said it, I assume WE can also say it without argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy