U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 AM
 
975 posts, read 1,098,219 times
Reputation: 1479

Advertisements

some thoughts:
it is too big and complex.
too scary.
would rather watch superbowl than think about it.
"I can't do anything."

your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,486 posts, read 12,183,422 times
Reputation: 16673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
some thoughts:
it is too big and complex.
too scary.
would rather watch superbowl than think about it.
"I can't do anything."

your thoughts?
Could you be clearer on what you're asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 PM
 
10,573 posts, read 15,659,488 times
Reputation: 11936
Pay no attention to it. Not sure which particular fad you referring to, global warming or global cooling, but things of this nature were going on, irrelevant of human will, for eons, so simply take as what it is.
Also, theories on "what it's gonna be next to kill humanity" have been changing almost daily. So why bother? Live your life just like it may happen any moment, be prepared spiritually, as things of physical do not really matter, and let it be.
Like I always said - read the Protocols. Only lies will be taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
3,067 posts, read 2,113,415 times
Reputation: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Pay no attention to it. Not sure which particular fad you referring to, global warming or global cooling, but things of this nature were going on, irrelevant of human will, for eons, so simply take as what it is.
Also, theories on "what it's gonna be next to kill humanity" have been changing almost daily. So why bother? Live your life just like it may happen any moment, be prepared spiritually, as things of physical do not really matter, and let it be.
Like I always said - read the Protocols. Only lies will be taught.
worst poster on city-data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,655,465 times
Reputation: 974
I think it's largely a mix of a paranoid, conspiracy driven mindset and either genuine or wilful ignorance.

A significant amount of the climate change pushback comes from the big government conspiracy types- rather than seeing the All Gore's of the world as simply hypocritical or well meaning but ultimately having no real answers, they see a plan to curb individual rights and to increase central planning.

Couple that kind of paranoia with a woefully inadequate science background and it's not surprising that people refuse to or cannot understand what they're being told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,344,278 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I think it's largely a mix of a paranoid, conspiracy driven mindset and either genuine or wilful ignorance.

A significant amount of the climate change pushback comes from the big government conspiracy types- rather than seeing the All Gore's of the world as simply hypocritical or well meaning but ultimately having no real answers, they see a plan to curb individual rights and to increase central planning.

Couple that kind of paranoia with a woefully inadequate science background and it's not surprising that people refuse to or cannot understand what they're being told.
I agree, but I would add that you have to include the political component. Climate change deniers are almost always on the far right of the political spectrum. Even the rightists who acknowledge that climate change is happening pretty much deny that human actions have anything to do with it or that changing human behaviors could improve the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 03:45 PM
 
806 posts, read 512,650 times
Reputation: 1275
Is it not hellen keller who said "I am only one but still I am one I may not be able to do everything but still I can do something". So do what you can do to help the environment. Never mind it is too small too little too trivial. Just take the challenge and do what you can - some suggestions: plant a tree, clean up neighbourhood, support green initiatives, take walks instead of driving. I do a few of these but could do more and will try harder now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM
 
2,971 posts, read 2,757,808 times
Reputation: 6574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
some thoughts:
it is too big and complex.
too scary.
would rather watch superbowl than think about it.
"I can't do anything."

your thoughts?
Yes, Climate changes all the time in a range of cycles from 100,000 year Milankovitch cycles to 11 year solar cycles and at micro examples to macro examples over time. Long before the current 'human culprits' most often cited - existed.

No 'denial' per se, the universal consensus is that no matter the political ideology, and the climate change trend du jour, someone -(Solyndra and other alternate boondoggles et al. or the Seven Sisters[oil companies]) is looking at ways for monetary gain through government legislation, regulation, protection, research funding, creating insurmountable barriers to competition, artificial scarcity constraints, creation of tax revenues or any other such opportunistic ploy. And at its root, there is no concern for finding the best solution - if it doesn't make someone wealthy. (Read Buckminster Fuller's Critical Path from 1981)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,655,465 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I agree, but I would add that you have to include the political component. Climate change deniers are almost always on the far right of the political spectrum. Even the rightists who acknowledge that climate change is happening pretty much deny that human actions have anything to do with it or that changing human behaviors could improve the situation.
I think that portion of people sit where they do politically largely because of their paranoia, not vice versa.

It's also important to separate the people who legitimately question our current solutions or the projected ramifications, as they tend to come from a position of reasonable understanding. There's a vast gulf between a person who, for example, believes carbon credits are poor policy and someone who believes that carbon credits are a government conspiracy to tax people into a state of dependency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 AM
 
1,161 posts, read 1,984,593 times
Reputation: 2584
Well, if someone asked me if I "believed" in climate change, I'd say the climate is always changing. That's been the case as long as the earth has been around. There have been times in human history when the earth was warmer than it is today, which allowed the Vikings to sail to America and even grow grapes in Greenland. There were also mini ice ages during the Medieval era.

I do agree there are legitimate concerns about the effects of man made pollution on the environment, but that can be a separate issue from climate change. As it is I now sit outside the "climate change" debate because there are too many people on both ends of the spectrum who are too unwilling to consider the possibility that they may be wrong.

Interesting article, by the way: Will The Overselling Of Global Warming Lead To A New Scientific Dark Age? - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top