Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:38 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
And you lived outside the USA and think this is still just an American thing?

It's not. It's actually the norm elsewhere too - even to more of an extreme in some places. What country in Europe considers it child abuse for both parents to work full time? First time I ever heard that.
Germany. Holland. Austria, Turkey, Hungary, Czech .... Probably Italy, France and Spain. At least you see lots of kids and parents out on the streets during the day in most European countries.

If you get divorced and then don't see your children regularly, that is an unplanned misfortune.

Having a child well knowing you are not there when they start crawling, walking, first day at school, etc. is not good parenting IMO.

Of course it is not officially called child abuse. But they neighbors would talk, the other parents at school, the teachers - everybody would say - why aren't those people not their for their poor child? Why do they have children if they miss out on every event in its life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
But I have to say, even though I am totally against having children grow up with nannies, the outcome seems to be the same.

Americans are not colder, more selfish or less able to keep relationships as people from other countries.

Still, I am against giving birth and going back to work like nothing happened.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
I dont choose to work a ten hour day, my boss tells me to. I have a job that provides a good living, and Ill be able to give my kids a good upbringing...but I dont deserve to have them because Ill have to work 10 hour days?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
But I have to say, even though I am totally against having children grow up with nannies, the outcome seems to be the same.

Americans are not colder, more selfish or less able to keep relationships as people from other countries.

Still, I am against giving birth and going back to work like nothing happened.
at lease you admit that your opinion has no factual basis.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Tried to conduct a search on this topic, but I couldn't find anything...

Too often I see guys who work factory jobs that required 10 hr. shifts and OT, white collar, mid-upper level management, military men, coaches, etc. who are literally tied to their jobs. The jobs are more of their identity than the family. Majority of the the time, these dads/husbands are absent?

I salute men who are breadwinners and financially take care of home.

But it begs the question... if they're absent, then what's the point of even starting a family?

Inquiring minds wanna know. Please help me out of this...and are there any parents and wives in here who've dealt with absentee husbands and dads?
I will never buy the concept that men suffer some kind of separation anxiety from their "family" which means, ostensibly children, while they are at work. I believe that the traditional roll of men to be provider and protector for the family is much more ingrained than the nouveau feminist concept that men have a "nurturing side". The fact of the matter is that a mans identity is strongly attached to his work and the level of financial success that he attains. In other words, a job *is* more important to the psyche of a man than his family is, that is just a fact of life. Part of the reason that there is so much misery in this world is that people are trying to go against their fundamental nature because it is trendy or politically correct.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
There is no point of having kids if you won't see them. It's also irresponsible to have kids when one of the parents is realy gone far more than the other. The above poster about men not caring about their families is hilarious and also complete bs. Give a man a chance to do something other than bust his ass for 12 hours per day. Sounds terrible??? You gotta be kidding me. A lot of men would love to be around more but when the mother doesn't want to work (really nice to have this option, btw) what choices does he have?

I think couples really need to have enough time, saved money, and need to talk a lot about this topic before they have kids. Raising kids minus one parent isn't good for anyone.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's also irresponsible to have kids when one of the parents is realy gone far more than the other.
So someone active in the military shouldn't have children? After all, there's a risk they'll be separated from their children?

That's nonsense.

Quote:
There is no point of having kids if you won't see them.
People who work long hours still typically see their kids...

Old 02-26-2014, 03:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
There is no point of having kids if you won't see them. It's also irresponsible to have kids when one of the parents is realy gone far more than the other. The above poster about men not caring about their families is hilarious and also complete bs. Give a man a chance to do something other than bust his ass for 12 hours per day. Sounds terrible??? You gotta be kidding me. A lot of men would love to be around more but when the mother doesn't want to work (really nice to have this option, btw) what choices does he have?

I think couples really need to have enough time, saved money, and need to talk a lot about this topic before they have kids. Raising kids minus one parent isn't good for anyone.
If a man did not "bust his ass" for 12 hours a day, most likely he would be spending his leisure time with male friends, or doing activities that he enjoys i.e. fishing, hunting, playing video games, than spending time with his family/children. Most men are more than happy to spend as much time away from their family as they can, especially if there are small children involved.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Tried to conduct a search on this topic, but I couldn't find anything...

Too often I see guys who work factory jobs that required 10 hr. shifts and OT, white collar, mid-upper level management, military men, coaches, etc. who are literally tied to their jobs. The jobs are more of their identity than the family. Majority of the the time, these dads/husbands are absent?

I salute men who are breadwinners and financially take care of home.

But it begs the question... if they're absent, then what's the point of even starting a family?

Inquiring minds wanna know. Please help me out of this...and are there any parents and wives in here who've dealt with absentee husbands and dads?
I think that would be figuratively tied to their jobs, not literally...

Like others have said, people have always been away from their families to provide from them. But I do think that a 40 hour a week job isn't good for families, individuals or anybody who is trying to have some kind of life/work balance. I think we'd all be better off with a four day work week or maybe five six-hour days. That would make it easier for parents to juggle childcare too. When our kids were little, my husband and I worked opposite hours at some points so the kids would be home with one of us all the time. Eventually I started my own business and started working at home when they were all about school age. Obviously it would be hard to run a business from home with babies and toddlers in the house.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If a man did not "bust his ass" for 12 hours a day, most likely he would be spending his leisure time with male friends, or doing activities that he enjoys i.e. fishing, hunting, playing video games, than spending time with his family/children. Most men are more than happy to spend as much time away from their family as they can, especially if there are small children involved.

20yrsinBranson
Good point and very true. Lots of men like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy