Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
When she grows up, I think my daughter will remember that he coached her soccer team, not that he didn't make it home until soccer started.
...Or maybe both...I'd hope that the time spent together is what she only remembers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I will never buy the concept that men suffer some kind of separation anxiety from their "family"... The fact of the matter is that a mans identity is strongly attached to his work and the level of financial success that he attains. In other words, a job *is* more important to the psyche of a man than his family is, that is just a fact of life. Part of the reason that there is so much misery in this world is that people are trying to go against their fundamental nature because it is trendy or politically correct.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If a man did not "bust his ass" for 12 hours a day, most likely he would be spending his leisure time with male friends, or doing activities that he enjoys i.e. fishing, hunting, playing video games, than spending time with his family/children. Most men are more than happy to spend as much time away from their family as they can, especially if there are small children involved.

20yrsinBranson
Juxtaposing these two quotes makes me wonder... ... what do you think drives a man to want to have a family? Just to plants roots, seeds... a display of an additional conquer?

I'm a man... And I'd wanna spend time with my family. That should be the driving factor... And wanting to create a new life/lives with a woman whom you want to produce that new life/lives... as an embodiment of the love shared... Ideally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
About the military. I have seen the following (of course this is just stereotyping)

The military spouse never knows if their partner comes back from an deployment. It seems natural that they want children to have somebody around and to keep a memory of the military spouse. Also, they often can't have a real career because they move every few years.

The military member might want kids to keep the spouse busy and from cheating ...

I have worked in a daycare near a base. It was heartbreaking to see these little kids suffering when one parent left for deployment. After months of being depressed or angry, they finally get that daddy is gone. Then he comes back and they are confused again ... There is very emotional youtube videos when dads come home from deployment, I can't watch them without tearing up myself.

I also saw when dads came home after 9 months and their children didn't recognize them.
Thank you for giving us your observations of the military angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That sounds awfully selfish - no offense
And thank you again for that post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Tried to conduct a search on this topic, but I couldn't find anything...

Too often I see guys who work factory jobs that required 10 hr. shifts and OT, white collar, mid-upper level management, military men, coaches, etc. who are literally tied to their jobs. The jobs are more of their identity than the family. Majority of the the time, these dads/husbands are absent?

I salute men who are breadwinners and financially take care of home.

But it begs the question... if they're absent, then what's the point of even starting a family?

Inquiring minds wanna know. Please help me out of this...and are there any parents and wives in here who've dealt with absentee husbands and dads?
What's the point?..love of children...love of family.
As long as one of the parents is always there for the children, just knowing that those sweet lil things will be there to greet you when you ARE at home is worth it.
Raising children in a caring, loving household is a very rewarding experience, and can fill you with a great sense of pride and accomplishment....It's not necessary that the bread winner be there all the time for the children to still love and respect him/her.
It's very satisfying to see a child grow into a responsible caring adult.
It's even more satisfying to see them as great parents...and to enjoy the grandchildren, whose voices fill the house with joy, and laughter, and promises of more to come.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I love the women here telling men what we want and what we would or wouldn't do in whatever hypothetical situations. Listen to yourselves.

I love the stereotypes too: video games, hunting, hanging out with male friends, blah blah blah buncha stuff you see on tv blah balh blah. In my free time, I study foreign language, I travel, I read, I work out, I sing in a music group, and I go to movies and concerts. Men are just as diverse and have just as many sides as women do. Shocking, I know. If I have children, you're damn straight I'm gonna be around. You make time for your kids when you have them. They need parental attention and guidance.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
So someone active in the military shouldn't have children? After all, there's a risk they'll be separated from their children?

That's nonsense.

People who work long hours still typically see their kids...
If I were in the military, no I wouldn't have children until I was finished with my commitment.

It's not nonsense. It's the best interest of THE CHILD!

People who work for long hours see their kids for what, 2 hours after work before the kids go to sleep?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Good point and very true. Lots of men like that.
It's a stereotype. How is that a good point? Come on.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's a stereotype. How is that a good point? Come on.
It's a good point because that is how a lot of men are. It is not just a stereotype. No one is saying YOU are like that. But I definitely know a lot of men who are.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
I love the women here telling men what we want and what we would or wouldn't do in whatever hypothetical situations. Listen to yourselves.

I love the stereotypes too: video games, hunting, hanging out with male friends, blah blah blah buncha stuff you see on tv blah balh blah. In my free time, I study foreign language, I travel, I read, I work out, I sing in a music group, and I go to movies and concerts. Men are just as diverse and have just as many sides as women do. Shocking, I know. If I have children, you're damn straight I'm gonna be around. You make time for your kids when you have them. They need parental attention and guidance.
*salute* @bjimmy24

Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
If I were in the military, no I wouldn't have children until I was finished with my commitment.

It's not nonsense. It's the best interest of THE CHILD!

People who work for long hours see their kids for what, 2 hours after work before the kids go to sleep?

Still nonsense to me. Quality versus quantity. I've seen too many happy, healthy families with very successful children who adore there parents in both "working scenarios" described, so I agree to disagree!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Still nonsense to me. Quality versus quantity. I've seen too many happy, healthy families with very successful children who adore there parents in both "working scenarios" described, so I agree to disagree!
I don't doubt that such situations exist, I just think the trend is that two active parents is usually better than one. But yes, we can agree to disagree here.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that such situations exist, I just think the trend is that two active parents is usually better than one. But yes, we can agree to disagree here.
Who holds the definition of "active"? What is considered an "active parent"?

If a parent is working long hours to bring in money to meet the financial needs of their children, is that not active? If a parent devotes their time and energy to the children during the little time they are home, is that not active? You act like these kinds of situations are forever situations and they are not. Families are the ones who get to decide what is best for their children, not any of us. Unless that is, you're willing to write out the check so both parents can stay home more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy