Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 44,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Silly me. BTW, are you from a culture where violence against females is acceptable as long as it's not done in public where the cops and neighbors could see it?
No I have never hit any woman I've been involved with. My sister has also attacked me in the past. I have a scar on my arm from one fight. I don't hit unless I'm hit first. Isn't it normal for siblings to fight though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
Aren't you a piece of work.

I'm almost surprised you haven't realized you want at least ONE daughter to take care of you in your old age.

Somehow I don't see a warm family dynamic in your future.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:06 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford Stan View Post
No I have never hit any woman I've been involved with. My sister has also attacked me in the past. I have a scar on my arm from one fight. I don't hit unless I'm hit first. Isn't it normal for siblings to fight though?
No. Argue? Yes.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Am I the only one who's more than a bit disturbed by the multiple suggestions that a good reason to have daughters is so they can be a caretaker in their old age? Really folks? REALLY?

Old 04-27-2014, 12:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford Stan View Post
I can't see myself having daughters. From my experience with teenage girls they are dramatic and volatile. At least sons are predictable and straightforward. I know its cliche but I would also have a melt down over having a sexually active teenage daughter but I would probably be able to tolerate it more with a son. Also by having multiple sons I can hedge my bet that I will have grandchildren who will carry my name which is important to me especially if one of my sons turns out to be gay ( nothing against them just the practical implications like the need to adopt for kids), unwilling to marry, or sterile/ not wanting kids. I know this is slightly selfish but when I die my name is my legacy and I want it to be passed on.
It isn't wrong, but your reasoning is flawed.

A double standard about sexually active teenagers is wrong and illogical.

You only need one son to carry on your name. Even if he is gay, he could still have a bio child and it could still have your last name.

Your name and your legacy are no more special than anyone else's. When you are dead, you won't care.

Your reasons are all selfish.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:31 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
No one other than genealogists will care who your ancestors are when they're taking measure of the person that YOU are. It's wasted pride and yes, childish ego. You will be judged and valued in life by your actions alone.
Correct-o-mundo

I'm descended from a nobleman in the court of Frederick the Great. Ancestor was so dear to Freddie, the king intervened when Ancestor wished to marry a young woman who had been sent to a convent by her family to keep the two youngsters apart. The grandchild of that pair immigrated to America and became my 5x great-grandfather.

It's interesting, but not a big deal in the long run. There are a number of descendants (my first cousins) who carried the name forward yet are the biggest wastrels one would ever meet. Constantly in-n-out of jail for one petty thing or another, can't have a wife for more than three months without being arrested for domestic assault, a few aren't safe around children. I totally washed my hands of them and refuse to acknowledge our connection. If those yokels were around at the time our ancestor was a courtier, they'd likely end up having their heads chopped off.

One should make the best of their own life, rather than project that responsibility forward based simply on a name.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:31 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
So, to recap:

We're responding to reproductive questions from a self-admitted weed dealer who steals from his school's Lost and Found area and breaks into other students' lockers to take their belongings. All the while admitting to assaulting his sister.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:43 PM

38 posts, read 44,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, to recap:

We're responding to reproductive questions from a self-admitted weed dealer who steals from his school's Lost and Found area and breaks into other students' lockers to take their belongings. All the while admitting to assaulting his sister.
It was self defense. That beeotch is crazy.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 25,234 times
I used to wish for having a boy since I'm the only son in my family and I love to have a son to play sport with. Well, God gave us 2 girls. I was disappointed in the beginning but I love my girls and enjoy my time with them, even after I moved 30 miles away after divorce. My point is kids are blessings from God so just enjoy what He gives you. My 2 cents. MD

Old 04-27-2014, 12:51 PM

513 posts, read 799,272 times
My daughters father was the same way. When I got pregnant he was sure it was a boy. There was no chance in his mind of it being a girl. When I had my ultrasound and they said it was a girl he said to check again. After being sure there was no mistake, he didn't speak for the rest of the day. He got over it, and now can't imagine having a boy. He is so happy he has a daughter and has said it changed his life.

You say this now. But in the end your child is your child, regardless of sex. A lot of guys say and think the same way as you and end up happy they had daughters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy