Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 04:30 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You gotta be kidding that you think there is even one peer-reviewed legitimate scientific article supporting what you just said.

Can you provide a scientific article? Or a link to a publication in a science journal? because if it was scientifically verified, rather than just confused hearsay, that scientist may very well be in the running for a Nobel Prize because of what he/she has proven.

There isn't any "science" on NDEs as meaning anything other than what the brain does when its (usually) oxygen-deprived. One of the first sensations of oxygen deprivation to the visual cortex is a sensation of a narrowing of the visual field - and the consequent appearance of brightness at the end of a tunnel.

Its people's accounts of what they experienced - in most cases a dying brain (i.e. one which is undergoing at least a hypoxic situation). What would one expect at that point. Especially as there is some (actual not hopeful) evidence of a link between CNS hypoxia and endorphin release (you know, the molecules that make you feel blissful).

The susceptible see "evidence" because they don't really want to look at it in a clear-headed way.

Sure there may be an afterlife. There isn't a scrap of actually scientifically-verified evidence there is. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but don't start the pseudo-science claptrap please.
A most articulate debunking tofur's would-be evidence. I think I'll friend you for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
I have voluntarily been knocked out many times ("california high") in my youth, what can I say, I was a typical dumb, curious and bored teenager. Point is, I have lots of experience with a oxygen deprived brain and going in and out of consciousness. No tunnels, lights, strong bliss/euphoria(there is some but nowhere near what is reported in nde's), different beings and dimensions, nada. Its laughable that any person who considers themselves a scientist or of free and rational thought would claim oxygen deprivation is the cause of NDE's, sorry for being blunt but I'm really tired of hearing about it like it's some done deal/obvious reason. It's not, and every time I hear it I automatically know the person bringing it up has not done their homework.
tofur, some persons are susceptible to delusional perceptions. I won't pretend I'm qualified to diagnose you, esp on a message board, but the fact that you've voluntarily knocked yourself out (whatever that means ) indicates your brain is probably susceptible to such thinking.

The brain is an amalgamation of different comments that evolved during various stages of evolution. That our rational components (neo-cortex, etc.) have to coexist with more primitive structures (cerebellum, amygdala, etc.) can lead to some really strange, but entirely subjective perceptions.

Individuals are prone to a wide array of implausible subjective experiences? Are they real? To the person experiencing them, yes; an perceptions is subjectively real to the person experiencing it. Are they objectively real? Unless there's objectively observable evidence to support such perceptions, probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:13 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times
What if there is a God or an Afterlife that has nothing to do with the human concept of organized religion? has anybody ever thought that might be possible?

It would be different from any religion stated.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3HUNNA View Post
Your brain is why you are cognizant of yourself, your environment, and your existence.

When your brain stops working for whatever reason, you will no longer be cognizant of yourself, your environment, or your past existence.

There is no point in wondering what is the point of life, as there is no point to life except for the one you give it. The meaning you give life is pointless.

Since you are going to die anyway, why not wreck the world by doing your best in every conceivable way?

As long as you aren't hurting anyone, then do what you want, because one day, you will die.
Sure, but I wonder in many ways, why bother if all will be forget and no trace of us ever again.
Do you really think it's nonexistence?

Also, of all the millions of people that have been born, will be born and are born. Why are we conscious in our specific bodies? why was I born and conscious in as I am, why are people conscious in our different bodies?

No one can ever answer this.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:25 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
What if there is a God or an Afterlife that has nothing to do with the human concept of organized religion? has anybody ever thought that might be possible?
Is this a serious question? Of course they have and that's why many people say they are more spiritual than religious. You don't have to believe in a certain religion to believe in God. You have never heard of Deists?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
tofur, some persons are susceptible to delusional perceptions. I won't pretend I'm qualified to diagnose you, esp on a message board, but the fact that you've voluntarily knocked yourself out (whatever that means ) indicates your brain is probably susceptible to such thinking.
You are very wordy and eloquent so I would think you would understand that this is ad hominem (simply, just rude) and you probably shouldn't use this as an argument.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Is this a serious question? Of course they have and that's why many people say they are more spiritual than religious. You don't have to believe in a certain religion to believe in God. You have never heard of Deists?
No I have not spent allot of time in these types of discussions.Only my own thoughts. Hence these threads.

How would you define deists? is that what " spiritual" people are?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
Quote:

It would be different from any religion stated.
That's kind of like what I used to joke. "God" actually turns out just to be the cranky child of some alien race. He's all like, "what? Oh no, all that 'heaven', 'hell' and 'afterlife' stuff is all just bull s@#$ I made up just to f@#$ with you people, watch you suffer over your hope and disillusionment and then die. When I'm done playing with you you just die and go out of existence. See ya!" *poof!*

Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Perhaps non-corporeal consciousness (awareness) tunes in to compatible conditions. Like attracts like.
A non-approved, unsanctioned secular exploration of “out there”:
“Journeys Out of the Body,” by Robert Monroe
http://www.ghostcircle.com/ebooks/Ro...The%20Body.pdf
Robert Monroe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
“Your destination in the heaven or hell of Locale II seems to be grounded completely within the framework of your deepest constant (and perhaps non-conscious) motivations, emotions, and personality drives. The most consistent and strongest of these act as your "homing" device when you enter this realm. I am sure of this because it always works this way when I have traveled non-physically in Locale II. It works this way whether I want it to or not. The least stray desire at the wrong time, or a deep-seated emotion I wasn't aware of, diverts my trip in that 'like’ direction.”
- - - Robert Monroe, Journeys out of the Body
Assuming that one's ability to interact is based on compatibility and harmony, one might strive to become a person one would like to spent eternity with, and attract those of similar type.
Otherwise, one's companions may be less than appealing.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Quote:
If we are all going to die and fade into nonexistence and we assume there no after life and no god, just non existence. Like Before we were born. Then what's the point? How do we cope with this every second of the day fading away moment to moment into non existence?

Male your actions, behavior and legacy that you leave behind during the brief amount of time that you exist - echo into eternity.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Male your actions, behavior and legacy that you leave behind during the brief amount of time that you exist - echo into eternity.
Most of us won't. Most of us will not be an Einstein or Mozart or anything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy