Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I'll check out his book, It's tough for me because I am opened minded but still very skeptical. There is allot out there in the scientific community that suggest that it's all an oxygen deprived brain.It could be… It's hard to think if there is anything more
the oxygen deprivation hypothesis doesn't have much to stand on (the obvious reason is NDE's aren't anything like what is experienced when one loses oxygen to the brain). People will look for any excuse possible as long as their belief systems get to stay intact.

Think about it, why would a brain starved of oxygen and dying produce hyper real, cohesive, stable experiences? shouldn't it be the other way around? If the experience is more real then normal waking life, which is experienced with a healthy brain...

You have to keep in mind that most of the scientific community have a vested interest in NDE's being nothing more then something simple, physical and easily explainable like oxygen deprivation. The prospect of NDE's being real is scary to them, dangerous. It threatens everything they believe.

Last edited by tofur; 05-18-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
The only reason to think it is more than this is because most people want there to be more. They want to be special.
mmhmmm, seems like you've spent a lot of time researching the phenomenon

Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default What's consistent is the light

Quote:
What do you think are NDE's real? or is it all BS

( Near death experiences meaning seeing heaven hell and all that and then coming back to talk about it)

I assume many of you heard about Colton Burpo and Dr. Eben Alexander.

It seems many people do believe them. I have a tough time doing that,now that's not to say there couldn't be something after death.

Why do we assume that death is the same as begin before birth? does it have to be or is it just guess?
I've had a few friends almost die and what is consistent is their story of seeing the light.
The descriptions match but as to what they mean?
I don't know, and neither to they.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:59 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
the oxygen deprivation hypothesis doesn't have much to stand on (the obvious reason is NDE's aren't anything like what is experienced when one loses oxygen to the brain). People will look for any excuse possible as long as their belief systems get to stay intact.

Think about it, why would a brain starved of oxygen and dying produce hyper real, cohesive, stable experiences? shouldn't it be the other way around? If the experience is more real then normal waking life, which is experienced with a healthy brain...

You have to keep in mind that most of the scientific community have a vested interest in NDE's being nothing more then something simple, physical and easily explainable like oxygen deprivation. The prospect of NDE's being real is scary to them, dangerous. It threatens everything they believe.
Um, you're kidding, right?

OP, there are numerous legitimate sources that debunk Eben Alexander, all you have to do is look for them.

It would be lovely to believe that there is some magical, mystical reason for NDEs, but I think most people with working brains are rightfully skeptical.

(Also, not sure this belongs in Philosophy. Maybe Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal, if you think there IS something mysterious and paranormal about the topic? )

Old 05-18-2014, 05:26 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
Karen is absolutely correct. ND experiences are probably real in the sense that they're real to the person experiencing them. But are they actually real in the sense that they objectively indicate there's an afterlife? Probably not.

As Karen says, they've been thoroughly debunked by neurologists and other medical scientists. I have no idea what tofur is referring to by stating that scientists are threatened by the prospect of NDEs.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, you're kidding, right?

OP, there are numerous legitimate sources that debunk Eben Alexander, all you have to do is look for them.

It would be lovely to believe that there is some magical, mystical reason for NDEs, but I think most people with working brains are rightfully skeptical.

(Also, not sure this belongs in Philosophy. Maybe Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal, if you think there IS something mysterious and paranormal about the topic? )

"Magical and mystical" to us currently might actually be normal. According to our current scientific knowledge(which is still in it's early childhood), it is magical and mystical. The same could have been said of many things in the past that are now normal and common knowledge.

Do you realize how many scientists back in the day resisted, attacked and ignored truths that are now considered common knowledge? A lot. It's human nature, scientists aren't immune to it. When something new comes along that can potentially destroy the belief system you have built your sense of self around, you either ignore it, attack it, or refuse to accept it even though it's right in front of your face.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Karen is absolutely correct. ND experiences are probably real in the sense that they're real to the person experiencing them. But are they actually real in the sense that they objectively indicate there's an afterlife? Probably not.

As Karen says, they've been thoroughly debunked by neurologists and other medical scientists. I have no idea what tofur is referring to by stating that scientists are threatened by the prospect of NDEs.
I'd love to see where NDE's have been legitimately debunked. Claiming they are a product of oxygen loss and then insulting and attacking anyone who questions you isn't debunking.

I've read the debunkers explanations, they aren't very convincing and aren't even close to explaining the experience as a whole. They focus in on certain pieces of the experience and by providing a semi-plausible explanation for that one aspect of it, claim to have debunked the whole thing. Their explanations for the pieces they choose to focus on aren't even rock solid.

I honestly don't care much either way, the way I see it if it's straight up non existence after death then I won't exist to care about it, so who cares. If there is a post death existence then I'm likely headed back into another life to learn more hard lessons. We will all find out for ourselves eventually, I'm waiting until then to make up my mind one way or another.

Last edited by tofur; 05-18-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 07:06 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,351 times
Quote:
"Magical and mystical" to us currently might actually be normal. According to our current scientific knowledge(which is still in it's early childhood), it is magical and mystical. The same could have been said of many things in the past that are now normal and common knowledge.

Do you realize how many scientists back in the day resisted, attacked and ignored truths that are now considered common knowledge? A lot. It's human nature, scientists aren't immune to it. When something new comes along that can potentially destroy the belief system you have built your sense of self around, you either ignore it, attack it, or refuse to accept it even though it's right in front of your face.
While it's absolutely true that scientists resisted and debased some things that were later proven true, all we can do is go with the best info available. It's also important to remember that the overwhelming majority of seemingly implausible ideas that have been proposed have indeed proven implausible.

NDEs are probably just a different variation of 'out-of-body' experiences that occur when a person is not near death. But both can be explained in terms of proprioception. Proprioceptive nerves relate to perception of our own body relative to the environment. In some conditions, these nerves can evoke perceptions that one is floating above or outside one's own body. While not solely responsible for NDEs, they probably play a significant role.

Could NDEs be real? Possibly, but a far more plausible explanation is an entirely subjective experiences caused by certain neurological activity. I don't know of any scientists who are truly intimidated by NDE proponents; the former just recognize that the latter are probably delusional.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
Quote:
mmhmmm, seems like you've spent a lot of time researching the phenomenon
I look at the science, not the speculation. The plural of "anecdote" is not "facts". Your confirmation bias is showing.

This belongs in the paranormal (woo) forum.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
Quote:
What do you think are NDE's real? or is it all BS

( Near death experiences meaning seeing heaven hell and all that and then coming back to talk about it)

I assume many of you heard about Colton Burpo and Dr. Eben Alexander.

It seems many people do believe them. I have a tough time doing that,now that's not to say there couldn't be something after death.

Why do we assume that death is the same as begin before birth? does it have to be or is it just guess?
From the age of 17 until about 35 i suffered from grand mal seizures and was out until my face was blue.
How long was i out, IDK but do know on some occasions it was many minutes as another person was present and why I'm alive today..

I think about those times and can honestly say i never saw a thing. No white light, nothing. I just dropped to the ground and seized which wasn't pleasant for whoever i was with at the time. And yes, i was like dead for minutes with no oxygen to my brain for a bit but always came out of it. And waking from a grand mal you memory is cooked for a bit. Your in a daze as the medics ask you simple questions like "your name" or what day it is or who the current President is...etc..

I would like to say i saw the wight light or something greater, but never did..

Talking about this is difficult as i was never diagnosed with epilepsy or anything..Sleep deprived and using some illegal things at the time where the cause. And i don't miss those times at ALL..

To the OP, yes I've been there but never experienced anything about the other side, and i believe in a power greater than me..

I'm just happy I'm here to talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy