Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:23 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
If you really want to know, there's a very good book that addresses this issue specifically:

"The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives." by Leonard Mlodinow.

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives: Leonard Mlodinow: 9780307275172: Amazon.com: Books

The short answer is most things in life are much more random than most persons are inclined to believe.

Humans are susceptible to anthropic fallacy: attributing human characteristics and motivations to things that aren't. Because most persons perceive our behaviors as autonomous, intentional, and structured, we incorrectly assume that fundamental nature is as well. It is not.

This is hard for many to accept, but the probable reality is that most things don't happen for a particular reason(s); they just happen. While we sometimes have some understanding how things happen, in many cases we're just doing our best with incomplete information. Some things are so complex that we don't understand them with anything resembling completeness.
I'll take a look at that book. although I find it hard to believe that it's all random. Like certain events set up the antecedents for other events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 AM

93 posts, read 93,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
What do you guys think, are things random or is everything predetermined?
A definition of random is... 'proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern.'

My definition of random is... 'proceeding, made, or occurring with ulterior definite aim, reason, or pattern.'

Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 AM

I mean our lives and day to date events

Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM

93 posts, read 93,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I mean our lives and day to date events
I Know.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
The term "life is what you make of it" is a literal term. You can create your life by what you say and think. When God created the world, he gave us the same power in a smaller sense. Yes there are external factors that we may not have control over but we can speak over those things and control the outcome. I'm a huge believer in the teachings of Lousie Hayes, Rhonda Byrnes, Joel Osteen, and many other inspiring new thought teachers that adhere to metaphysics and the law of attraction. I believe in it because I've done it.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The term "life is what you make of it" is a literal term. You can create your life by what you say and think. When God created the world, he gave us the same power in a smaller sense. Yes there are external factors that we may not have control over but we can speak over those things and control the outcome. I'm a huge believer in the teachings of Lousie Hayes, Rhonda Byrnes, Joel Osteen, and many other inspiring new thought teachers that adhere to metaphysics and the law of attraction. I believe in it because I've done it.

You mean about 4.9 billion years after he created the earth he then gave the earth humans, and them the power you speak of.

He left the earth humanless for most of its long life.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:31 PM

56 posts, read 44,747 times
Are things random? Yes and no, at the same time.

Are things predetermined? Yes and no, at the same time.

As it pertains to Gods and religions, one must ponder the question of why God made a universe full of other planets if we cannot live on them, and why no religious books seems to be able to tackle this in a specific manner. Think about it.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
If God exists, I'm convinced he's actually the devil.

What true god would create a race, destined to die, with limited information about it's own existence and purpose, designed only to live, suffer, and die all while only being able to glimpse a microscopic section of what he's created.

Sure, there may be highlights along the way, but eventually we all suffer the same fate, some worse than others(Don't forget, god allowed you to be raped, stabbed, shot, and killed).

Therefore, I'm left with two options... believe in an uncaring "god" or believe in an uncaring universe based on physical laws.

They lead to the same result... an existance based on physical laws coming from cause and effect, but one just seems worse because in theory a god chooses to subject you to the suffering of the universe. The laws of physics do it without emotion or thought.

As a result, I'm optimistically atheist. Because if there is a god... I sure don't want to meet him.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
We have very little if any choice about what happens to us. But we do have considerable control about what we do about it.

Two old Chestnuts kind of sums it up, if you think about them.

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If life is a bowl of cherries, why am I in the pits?"

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
If God exists, I'm convinced he's actually the devil.

What true god would create a race, destined to die, with limited information about it's own existence and purpose, designed only to live, suffer, and die all while only being able to glimpse a microscopic section of what he's created.

Sure, there may be highlights along the way, but eventually we all suffer the same fate, some worse than others(Don't forget, god allowed you to be raped, stabbed, shot, and killed).

Therefore, I'm left with two options... believe in an uncaring "god" or believe in an uncaring universe based on physical laws.

They lead to the same result... an existance based on physical laws coming from cause and effect, but one just seems worse because in theory a god chooses to subject you to the suffering of the universe. The laws of physics do it without emotion or thought.

As a result, I'm optimistically atheist. Because if there is a god... I sure don't want to meet him.
I have thought that there may be a god, but nothing in the way organized religion claims. I mean when people mean god they always assume christianity. Why can't it be something else? why does god have to be the way organized religion states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy