Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age a child turns into an adult?
16 12 9.76%
18 50 40.65%
21 32 26.02%
Make that 25 - our youth is so immature these days 29 23.58%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM

703 posts, read 870,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I just don't see any accurate and fair way to make a blanket definition for adulthood, let alone an arbitrary age below which certain privileges and freedoms are restricted.
it needs to be backed by research science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 03:51 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I felt the same way at that age. It can work both ways.
Lol glad I'm not the only one-
So then since I had to grow up so fast......
I think it's time for me to have my second childhood

Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
When they can pay their own way. As long as I'm footing the bill, I have a say. You're an adult when you are responsible for your own life.
Does that mean disabled individuals that can't work are never adults?

Old 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
Their adults when mommy and daddy are no longer supporting them. Sometimes they become adults based on wise choices, and sometimes their parents have to essentially "cut them off" and force them to become adults.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Scientific evidence is that brain wiring is not entirely complete until one's mid-twenties, particularly with respect to properly connecting actions with consequences.

In an ideal world, the legal privileges and responsibilities of majority would be conferred upon someone when they meet some objectively determined criteria that demonstrates responsibility. In the world we actually live in, my personal judgment is that reducing the age of majority from 21 to 18 in the US was a serious mistake, particularly in that current parenting trends seem to be producing children less equipped to exhibit the impulse control and empathy required to fully take their place in the adult world. I would increase the drinking age at least back to 21, as well as the age of medical consent and a few other things. Politically, it may be easier to just return the age of majority to 21 across the board.

The age of majority was originally lowered to 18 in the 1970s because 18 year olds were subject to the draft and the reasoning was that they should therefore have the right to vote. Or that is the argument that carried the day in the US, even though the draft itself was eliminated early in the latter half of that decade. There was also pressure from the fact that most other Western democracies had lowered the age of majority to 18 or 19 as early as 1950, and, as usual, the US was bringing up the rear on that trend. And the young were agitating for it, of course.

My take on all this is that this is one of the few areas where the US was well advised to be retrograde, and, besides, I don't think the draft was ethical or that 18 year olds should be turned into cannon fodder. We should have kept the age of majority at 21, AND not subjected 18, 19 and 20 year olds to military service. In my opinion. Obviously the military-industrial complex would not sit still for that, though.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
I always felt, if your old enough to join the military and hold a Carbine, your old enough to be a man, instead of crying for mommy and missing home, some do fail, most make it work and learn to drive on.. And when you think about the older guys who lied about their age during World War II at sixteen or younger, there is some guys who truly are men and Warriors at a very young age.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM

398 posts, read 471,175 times
I didn't get my first job until I was 21, so I'd say that's about right.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:47 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
I always felt, if your old enough to join the military and hold a Carbine, your old enough to be a man...
The age of majority, and the age at which people were subject to the draft, are arbitrarily selected ages that have nothing to do with how (im)mature someone actually is or what they are capable of, particularly in specific instances. Your argument has more merit if someone voluntarily joins the military, arguably, but again, I cite the science that says that people under the age of 25 are impaired in their ability to connect actions with consequences. An adolescent will romanticize adulthood and its trappings and yearn for it, little realizing the full implications of the responsibility and the hard work that come with it. They will yearn for marriage or at least the proverbial "room without windows or doors" in which they will make love 24/7 forever and never have to argue about anything or work anything out, literally ignoring the realities of relationships and the workaday world.

Many children can become full fledged adults by their early teens, many adults will exhibit childishness their entire lives, and there is a spectrum in between those two extremes. We seem to have decided as a society that on average most people can assume adult responsibilities / consequences by the age of 18. I would say most SHOULD be able to but for whatever reason far too many don't. That is the basis for which I argue for going back to 21 as the age of majority. Not for the purpose of coddling them, but to protect society from their profligacy.

I do acknowledge that it is a balancing act between denying unearned privileges and enabling an endless childhood. My thinking is based on the science, which says that no matter how children are raised or mis-raised, many are simply not fully capable of handling adult responsibilities, biologically speaking, until their brains are "fully baked" in their mid-twenties. In addition, there is no reason to be in such a dad-burned hurry, given the extensive demands of higher education in the modern world. The median age of first marriage has risen to around 28 in this country, and it's no coincidence that's about the time they finish graduate school and start to get established in a career. Combine that with rising life expectancies and I see no reason to afford youth the full range of adult options and burdens when they are still babes in the woods at 18. I wish I had not had those options open to me when I was that age. I was nowhere near ready for it myself.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
If we treat children according to what they're capable of doing (a LOT) and respect their intelligence (it's very high), and give them responsibilities, jobs, duties (it's not "child labor," it's the real world), they will thrive and mature in a healthy manner.

Pubescent teens really can be adults...seems to me that we hold them back for control purposes, so we can keep them in school (aka daycare) until age 18, freeing us up to be out earning money. Meanwhile the kids are restless and bored, full of potentially useful energy that's going to waste. They get into video games, drugs, alcohol, sexual mischief because THEY'RE RESTLESS & BORED & UNDERSTIMULATED. These kids need to be put to work. It's not cruel, it's productive. It's the stuff of life.
Finally, someone has seen the light.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Don't forget to include when their bodies can handle adult things, physically & mentally

You can have a mature 9-year-old, but you don't want it drinking.
In Europe, parents often let their kids have wine in moderation with a meal, they turn out just fine.

This extreme zero-tolerance-ism and lawsuit-esque fear-mongering needs to go, I can't put it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy