Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age a child turns into an adult?
16 12 9.76%
18 50 40.65%
21 32 26.02%
Make that 25 - our youth is so immature these days 29 23.58%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
none of the above. For me a child is an adult when he or she starts acting like one. I know people in their 30's who are childish and don't act appropriately. On the flip side, I know some teens that act like adults and are very responsible.
I think there is some confusion since some are seeing it as an age while others are viewing it as a level of maturity, age at which a person is considered an adult versus a person being mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I'm not suggesting putting them to work in pointless minimum wage jobs. I'm talking real-life essential, satisfying occupations. The lost arts like handiwork, carpentry, gardening, good old fashioned babysitting. These things are satisfying, useful, and teach essential life skills.

I'm just so wary of seeing kids plugged into computers all the time, or loitering with nothing to do but have alcohol, sex, and drugs on the brain.

If we give kids useful things to do, boosting their sense of purpose, they will mature well before age 18.
I agree with all of your posts. I saw my job as a parent to prepare my sons for adulthood, by encouraging activities and giving them responsibilities that would build who they would become. They both became "mature" and responsible early on more so than many adults. My younger son has Down syndrome and when he attended the day center, he was much more mature than most of the people working there, many his age. You could see that he got so fed up with their antics. An adult can be defined by age but maturity is what really counts. At what age does someone become mature? Some never do! I would define an adult as 18 years old since they can make legal contracts, live on their own, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Honestly at 18, I knew everything!!! When I turned 21, I started to think I may not know as much as I thought. At 23, I woke up and realized I had a lot of learning to do.

I was out of the house at 17 and paying rent, 18 with a car payment, 19 working and going to college full time. Being an adult is more than taking care of responsibilities, in my opinion. I don't know how to really explain it in words.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I was out of the house at 17 and paying rent, 18 with a car payment, 19 working and going to college full time. Being an adult is more than taking care of responsibilities, in my opinion. I don't know how to really explain it in words.
My father said children aren't really adults until 30. We all moved out and financially supported ourselves early on. I knew what he meant. He was right---give or take a few years. I think the word your searching for is WISDOM.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:55 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My father said children aren't really adults until 30. We all moved out and financially supported ourselves early on. I knew what he meant. He was right---give or take a few years. I think the word your searching for is WISDOM.
That's probably it.

All the while I remember thinking to myself, "when I grow up" and then thinking but I am grown up, just didn't feel like it at all.

I had my kids kind of young. Younger than my friends but I married young also. Had my first at just shy of 24 and my twins when I turned 27. I still felt like a kid myself with the first one. Not as much with the twins but then again I had no time to feel like anything when they came along!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
When they can pay their own way. As long as I'm footing the bill, I have a say. You're an adult when you are responsible for your own life.

Exactly ^^^

Age really is just a number. I've seen more mature 16 year olds than I have 30.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
I'm 56 and don't even like the thought of being a man because it means death is closer than it is. I have felt this was since I was 30. It's not that I am immature or irresponsible, the opposite is true. I just had that thought creep into my mind almost 20 years ago and I wanted to stay forever young.

I voted 18 as I was out of the house by 19 and never lived with my folks again though I did borrow $100 from them once. However, after going through what my daughter has done, I now vote "when they start to breed". Daughter is 27, unmarried and has 3 kids...by 2 different guys - I think, as I never got a straight story. She lives with her mom in another city and are basically estranged from me. (sometimes I high 5 myself)

When a boy or girl decide they can breed they have stepped on the mature platform. A mistake? You have been told by your parents and school teachers how sex works. Sure it's fun but you make babies, damnit! Yep, I got upset because it's her choice. Can't throw them to the curb but you can make sure they educate themselves and get a job because I ain't playing daddy and grandpa at the same time. I can kick the young man's A$$ as well if he doesn't provide.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 PM

506 posts, read 326,694 times
I like how more than 18% of voters have said 25 should be the age for adulthood.

Honestly, the results aren't surprising.

Though it may not exactly be an accurate interpretation of the U.S. as a whole (why would the overconfident parents who thought 16 was a good age even be on here?).

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
The scientists will tell you a 22 or 23 year-old (I forget which) is still in late adolescence, technically.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
In some 3rd world countries, by necessity, even some 12-year-old's become adults, to support their families. Hobson's choice!

In Germany, you can buy beer and wine at 16, that makes them adults?

Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
none of the above.
For me a child is an adult when he or she starts acting like one.
I know people in their 30's who are childish and don't act appropriately.
On the flip side, I know some teens that act like adults and are very responsible.
Exactly!

(Except I would stretch that to people even in their 60's.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy