Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age a child turns into an adult?
16 12 9.76%
18 50 40.65%
21 32 26.02%
Make that 25 - our youth is so immature these days 29 23.58%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:10 PM

703 posts, read 870,486 times

Advertisements

The biological definition of an adult is an organism that can re-produce, and the last time I checked, humans are biological creatures/organisms. Mentally, they are not fit for our complex world of rationalism, however. We are a little more than just basic animals.

Last edited by lewimaech235; 06-17-2014 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
To me a child becomes an adult when they wake up. To me waking up means that they are:
  • Aware of the need for and the way money and credit really works.
  • Who they can and can't trust.
  • What relationships are healthy and which are destructive.
  • When they understand the difference between a job and a career choice.
  • What it means to stand on their own two feet and not be a burden and how to avoid those who want to use you.
I've known some 16 year old adults and far more 35 year old children.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
To me a child becomes an adult when they wake up. To me waking up means that they are:
  • Aware of the need for and the way money and credit really works.
  • Who they can and can't trust.
  • What relationships are healthy and which are destructive.
  • When they understand the difference between a job and a career choice.
  • What it means to stand on their own two feet and not be a burden and how to avoid those who want to use you.
I've known some 16 year old adults and far more 35 year old children.
Don't forget to include when their bodies can handle adult things, physically & mentally

You can have a mature 9-year-old, but you don't want it drinking.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
For me, it depends on the "child". They don't all become adults at the same age.

If you are going to assign an arbitrary statutory age, how about this idea: Legal adulthood is attained on the date of graduation from high school (but not less than 16), or at age 19 for anyone who has not graduated from high school. With schools entitled to expel any student after age 16 for conduct disruptive to the educational environment of the school. Drivers license age would be the same,and automatically suspended until 19 if dropping out of school before graduation. Drinking age the same, it is stupid to be the only country in the world that bans drinking until 21.

This would be an incentive to people 16-19 to remain in school, and figure out how to start acting like adults. Most people who remain in school would graduate and become adult at about the age of 18. Those who choose to drop out of school or who get expelled would be penalized about a year. Anyone who has graduated from high school has pretty much demonstrated that they can be trusted to begin assuming adult responsibility.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For me, it depends on the "child". They don't all become adults at the same age.

If you are going to assign an arbitrary statutory age, how about this idea: Legal adulthood is attained on the date of graduation from high school (but not less than 16), or at age 19 for anyone who has not graduated from high school. With schools entitled to expel any student after age 16 for conduct disruptive to the educational environment of the school. Drivers license age would be the same,and automatically suspended until 19 if dropping out of school before graduation. Drinking age the same, it is stupid to be the only country in the world that bans drinking until 21.

This would be an incentive to people 16-19 to remain in school, and figure out how to start acting like adults. Most people who remain in school would graduate and become adult at about the age of 18. Those who choose to drop out of school or who get expelled would be penalized about a year. Anyone who has graduated from high school has pretty much demonstrated that they can be trusted to begin assuming adult responsibility.
A very backwoods, conservative perspective. But, I'm still curious to know how our country came up with how to classify an adult.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM

398 posts, read 470,985 times
A child is an adult when they grow up.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
A child is an adult when they grow up.
Be a little more specific please. When do you consider a "child", "grown up"?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
The question shouldn't be about a number...
It should be about the maturity of the person.
I never got to have a childhood, so by the time I was 16 I was seriously
way more mature than people who were a decade ahead of me.
Conversely I know people now in their 20's who act like they're 14....
no independence from their mothers, no jobs, no responsibilities
So I never go by the numbers--
Although I do think in this country if at 18 you're considered adult enough to join the military-
Then 18 yr olds should be able to legally drink too (as they do in Germany)

Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I never got to have a childhood, so by the time I was 16 I was seriously
way more mature than people who were a decade ahead of me.
I felt the same way at that age. It can work both ways.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM

70 posts, read 96,225 times
In the Black community your child is grown when they start talking back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy