Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
And again, I'm ignorant of the show because I refuse to watch it the way it is advertised. From commercials the sense I always had of the show was that all of the protagonists secretaries are throwing themselves at him and other men in the office or what have you. Which as you already pointed out, the real scenario was glaring sexism and objectification by guys who didn't look like the protagonist or anyone else on that show while the rest of the working class are struggling.

And also, I'm guilty of nostalgia. I grew up in the nineties in the middle class. No one will relate to this, but for me the nineties was a rock driven youth movement with principle. I remember we couldn't bring tapes or CD's to school but we could bring lyrics. And I remember getting together with friends reading over lyrics trying to figure out the meaning, the subtle meaning, the references and what have you. So, music was kind of this intellectual discovery. Now as a crotchedy thirty something year old, I say the current music is superficial and meaningless without direction, cause or movement and plain commercial. I try to temper that nostalgia by comforting myself with sixties music is good, seventies music good, and eighties music sucked. So, maybe there will one day be a new youth movement producing great music and I'll be like a kid again. I don't know.
There's still great music, it just hasn't been filtered out of the rest like music in the past has. I'm really diggin Jerry Cantrells solo albums now for instance.

Anyways, nostalgia is a subset of memories. Our memories come to us by context, and sometimes the context is emotions. I believe that nostalgia is recollecting memories with strong serotonine? effects: those of peace, happiness, contentment, hope... Pure excitement memories dopamine? are different and aren't really nostalgic. Fear grouped memories can exist too, and that would be part of PTSD IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,626 times
Nostaligia simply means if you have enough money, you can afford to live like a cave man. That is what it means. But you need enough people on your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy