Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:33 AM

652 posts, read 873,469 times

Advertisements

I was once told I had too much substance. I was always spending my time figuring out how the living world worked from a death perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 04:57 PM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Supposedly we are an "evolved" species yet we consistently do things that go against that. We constantly kill/rape/take advantage of each other and yet we really think we are more evolved than dogs.

It's anthropocentric premise.
Dogs may consider us being totally backwards and barbaric.
Also, I have seen dogs do just exactly same. Including homosexual rape. I don't think, humans do anything much different from animals. Animals simply take it all as is and mindlessly, humans turn same actions into philosophical discussions.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
To be "evolved", you would have to progress from one point to another. So the question is: where is the scale, how many points does it have and in reference to that, where are we on the scale?
No. Evolution does not have a goal, a direction, or a scale. Natural selection is a process that is driven entirely by one statistic: the characteristics of creatures more or less likely to cause one to survive long enough to reproduce. Evolution is not about quality of life, emotional well being, happiness, peace of mind, peace vs war, ennobling personality characteristics, or any other thing. And it is SLOW. It is unresponsive to rapid developments on the ground. It's no help to us really even on the scale of recorded history, much less our generation.

Evolution does not even "care" about survival of the fittest, as it does not constitute agency. It is simply an emergent property of biological activity, a description of a biological dynamic, an explanatory framework for how and why life tends to be pervasive and tenacious and diverse despite its relative complexity and vulnerability.

If we imagine evolution to "care" about anything it certainly should not be about things like beating swords into plowshares. Evolution would be "happy" if humanity's future were Borg-like, hive-mind, totalitarian and violent, so long as more of us would survive that way. It would be "happy" if humanity's destiny was to devolve into knuckle-dragging, mindlessly rutting beings, as red in tooth and claw as the rest of nature, so long as more of us would survive that way. Happily, that is not our trajectory, but not because evolution drives it that way. We have evolved as social creatures with a need for community, acceptance, approval, validation and safety. Evolution always acts upon what is already there. We cannot thrive subjectively in the absence of those things, and too much subjective angst and deprivation translates to poor biological survival. Now that we are self aware, evolution has to "act" within that constraint. Our destiny now is to either evolve in a direction that we consider "upward", or go extinct. And that is why we talk about "progress". But evolution isn't providing that impetus. WE are.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:20 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,391 times
Have dogs created massive steel buildings, discovered quantum mechanics, come up with modern medicine? No.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Have dogs created massive steel buildings, discovered quantum mechanics, come up with modern medicine? No.

But they have an unconditional love that humans aren't usually capable of.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I quite often think we are de-evolving.
That is not far from the truth. More and more children are being born to parents who are less qualified to be parents, less physically and emotionally and intellectually healthy, and pass on their inferior genes to future generations. Positive evolution occurs in an environment in which the offspring are predominantly parented by those with the best survival skills, not the worst.

That is not new. For millennia, the strongest and healthiest males have been culled out shortly after adolescence, and before they can reproduce, they are sent off to be killed in war. However, that favors intelligence, because the most intelligent of boys figure out a way to dodge the draft -- then as now.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-16-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is not far from the truth. More and more children are being born to parents who are less qualified to be parents, less physically and emotionally and intellectually healthy, and pass on their inferior genes to future generations. Positive evolution occurs in an environment in which the offspring are predominantly parented by those with the best survival skills, not the worst.

That is not new. For millennia, the strongest and healthiest males have been culled out shortly after adolescence, and before they can reproduce, they are sent off to be killed in war. However, that favors intelligence, because the most intelligent of boys figure out a way to dodge the draft -- then as now.
Another factor, too, is that we as a mass are becoming less resourceful and less skill-full, and technology has not helped us. Sure, we can find information easier on the net. But if the world was suddenly without power for a very period of time ~ or forever ~ then the ones who would know how to survive on basic resources would be those who still live on those skills. That would be indigenous people.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
No animal can be more cruel to its own kind than the human being! Evolution? No possible! Show me some examples of that changing! Ever!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Supposedly we are an "evolved" species yet we consistently do things that go against that. We constantly kill/rape/take advantage of each other and yet we really think we are more evolved than dogs.
why are you killing and raping people?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:21 AM

703 posts, read 446,333 times
Quote:
Assuming of course that one believes in evolution. I don't, and I think there is precious little evidence to show that evolution as generally accepted has taken place at all. Yes we may have changed within our species due to the effects of natural forces around us, but it would have taken something quite different to change us from something that crawled out of the sea to what we are now.
It's worth remembering that Darwin's theory is just a theory and a long way from being proven, as well as being contrary to Christian belief.
This is the situation as far as I understand it but I'm happy to be corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy