Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

I know the universe is endless because I've never seen the end of existence. But I can close my pointer finger and thumb together and witness a closure in space.

Whats your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I think it depends on what unit of measure you are using...

Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I know the universe is endless because I've never seen the end of existence. But I can close my pointer finger and thumb together and witness a closure in space.

Whats your take on this?
First of all, there's no evidence that the universe is endless, although it is vastly larger than we can ever see. We're limited to what can be observed or detected. That's called the observable universe.

Second, closing your finger and thumb is not a closure of space. There's still more space (a lot more) in a simple hydrogen atom between the proton (nucleus of an atom) and the electron. See the link below for a comparative example.
Questions and Answers - Why are electrons so far away from the nucleus of an atom?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Depends on what you mean by "infinitely small" If you mean having a dimension of 1/∞, then it is larger than zero, and therefore it exists, even though it is infinitely small.

There are geometric examples of things that have a dimension of zero, which is less than 1/∞, but still exist. A straight line, for example, has a width of zero. but exists as a real thing.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I love the thought ... and reality that we are 99.99999% empty space
according to quantum physics...so what are we really looking at when we
see our fingers at all? Ha!

I love the PBs show I saw that placed a bell...similar to that Liberty Bell that
is cracked in Philly...and placed it under an electron microscope for us to see
the atoms of copper and something else...talk about squeezing space together.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Yes. But you stop dealing with physical objects and start dealing with concepts.

More specifically, in Euclidean geometry, a point is a primitive notion upon which the geometry is built. Being a primitive notion means that a point cannot be defined in terms of previously defined objects. That is, a point is defined only by some properties, called axioms that it must satisfy. In particular, the geometric points do not have any length, area, volume, or any other dimensional attribute. A common interpretation is that the concept of a point is meant to capture the notion of a unique location in Euclidean space.

Point (geometry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Point is infinitely small. Yet, if you want to go metaphysical, first there was a Monad, then Diad, then numbers, then point, from which developed line, from which developed design in shape, that gave birth to everything out of substance. Actually, not even metaphysical. It's Pithagorian.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A straight line, for example, has a width of zero. but exists as a real thing.

Well, these are concepts, not necessarily things that exist in real life, in the physical universe. If you draw a line on paper it doesn't actually have a width of zero.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Actually, a definition of a line is "zero thickness". Or breadth. Line is a concept connecting 2 points. Demension of a point is zero. So is dimension of a line.
Point is beginning of everything. Everything is created by line, extending from point. Then as designed by thought that created this point, line starts moving at the angle, creating curve. This creates surface. Then line completes a curve. Complete curve is circle. Circle is symbol of completion and symbol of everything. This is how everything starts from nothing, or point.
This is why true masons have degrees, as symbol of their progression. As they rebuild immortal body, their level of progression is changing, that being expressed in "degrees".
Drawing a line on paper has very little to do with concept of the line, or point, itself. Drawing a line on paper is like building a great wall of China, just to say that it represents something that has no dimension.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, these are concepts, not necessarily things that exist in real life, in the physical universe. If you draw a line on paper it doesn't actually have a width of zero.
You can't "draw" a line, because the marker gives the symbolic "line" width that is >0. But you can still "make" a line, by folding the paper. The folded "edge" has no dimension, it just an interline between the two folded sides. Under magnification, that folded edge would become curved, but a curve has a point tangent to a plane crossing the planes of the two folded sides. That line of tangency between the curve and the plane is a true line, in that it is a series of points without width.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
First of all, there's no evidence that the universe is endless, although it is vastly larger than we can ever see. We're limited to what can be observed or detected. That's called the observable universe.

Second, closing your finger and thumb is not a closure of space. There's still more space (a lot more) in a simple hydrogen atom between the proton (nucleus of an atom) and the electron. See the link below for a comparative example.
Questions and Answers - Why are electrons so far away from the nucleus of an atom?
I was under the impression that based on the evidence we can currently gather, the universe is (maybe, probably) infinite. Unless some new information has come to light than I am not aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy