Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Most people don't accost me asking for money. And the ones that do usually give up. I just stare at them and don't say anything. I don't smile I don't change expression. My wife says its unnerving. Seems to work well so I just do that.
Most just wait a bit then just turn around and walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 PM

38 posts, read 48,667 times
I never gave them much thought when I was in the midwest. We always viewed them as druggies and never gave them anything. They would hold the door begging at the 7/11 and I'd just go on in. When I was in Boston, I got around goody two shoed people and they said oh no we should buy them a sandwich. So yeah sometimes I would buy them a sandwih if I was going in and if I had the spare $. I only had one person complain that she hated turkey. Beggers cant be choosers I guess And there was one time I wasnt going to give, but I saw an older woman crying and everyone rushed past her. I went to the store because I was hungry and remembered her and got her a sandwich and bottled water. When I gave it to her, she didn't notice the sandwich. She was more thankful for the water as she said she was thirsty and hadnt drank anything all day. I volunteered for a homeless shelter though about a year or so after that goody two shoe nonesense. Those people have easy access to food stamps, many are on disability or on welfare programs, they sell the prescription drugs they are given by their doctors for money, they sell food stamps for cigerettes, you name it. There are places they can go to get good food, even organic stuff. On food stamps in America, you can get a lobster. I'm working and not on food stamps. Can I get a lobster? No! I haven't given money since. They know where the resources are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy