Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

If that is what they do in public hat at home? I did the bathroom. wham! but actually lip service was goven when the boys got to be pre-teens where taller than me. Its been yes mam' since. but a little kid no as a mom I would have yelled HEY HEY. and then if she responded to me, would have read her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
LOL, no wonder so many English guys are such wimps. Hard to believe your country used to be an Empire.
Yeah, like Beckham?
Hard to believe what's happened right here in America...

I come from the school of thought that you don't slap ANYTHING in the face. Not a child, nor a dog, nor a horse, etc. I think I'd have to say something if I saw that. Slapping in public is so low class anyway.

I used to see moms carrying switches around the store with them but I never saw the kids misbehave or the parents use them.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Stay out of it, white knight.

It's none of your business.
The wellbeing of children is everyone's business. That's why we have CPS.

If you're so proud of your violence, why are all the abusers in this thread talking about how they save it for private? I discipline my child in public all the time. I also discipline friends' children and strangers children. No one ever has a problem with it, because it's not abuse.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM

112 posts, read 130,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Discipline is up to the parent, not some stranger in Wal-Mart.
This is the same mentality people had back when murdering your own child was not against the law.

Children have rights too, and slapping the kid across the face is abuse, not d"discipline" :/

How do you know that the kid wasn't "misbehaving" BECAUSE the mom was a mean, abusive beyotch? Wouldn't you "misbehave" if someone wasn't treating you right?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM

323 posts, read 499,626 times
I was spanked in the normal way when I was a child, slapped, belts, switches, hands. Do you know what? It just made me sneaky. Now, what they did would then be considered child abuse. I do not hold it against my parents, it was the way it was then. But I wish they had used the time out or restricted to your room method. Because it did not just hurt terribly, it hurt my feelings deeply. Now, I can see spanking a toddler a swat on the butt for running into the street. Now days, if someone in public grocery store swats a kid more than once, at least one person will go up and talk to them. I see it all the time. And this a Texas.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM

112 posts, read 130,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I come from the school of thought that you don't slap ANYTHING in the face. Not a child, nor a dog, nor a horse, etc. I think I'd have to say something if I saw that. Slapping in public is so low class anyway.
^^This.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I try not to get involved in other's people with their kids but my wife is less reserved and will sometimes voice her opinion. I remember riding a train in China and this lady was just beating the crap out of her son. I had trouble watching it and was hoping my wife wouldn't get involved....because we don't know the language, laws or customs there. So we sat quietly and felt anger at that mother and the Chinese watched and showed no emotion to this display.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Smack on the face is over the line, but on the butt is fine as far as I am concerned. I was raised that way and so were my two Sons, and we all turned out fine.

Every day at work I see Parents who have zero control over their kids and who don't give a damn what they are doing. Loving Parents care enough to teach their kids right from wrong and sometimes that takes a firm hand.

Not saying to beat them, but a swat on the butt makes your point and gets their attention. This might not be your way of Parenting, but allow others who do think this way to raise their kids as they see fit.

Don

Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Havent any of you ever heard one of these parents who hit out at kids... theyre usually big mouth aggressive losers who cant communicate with a child to stop misbehaving, jeez a switch in a shop.. Ive never heard of anything like it in my life.. A good parent listens to a child.. communicates, lets the child know and learn manners early on so that they dont create in shops or have tantrums.. Ive heard some mums in shops shout louder over a child having the trantrum.... oh yes that gives out a great message to a youngster.... doesnt it....

Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
The other day I was shopping a Walmart. A young mother with a misbehaving toddler in a shopping cart first slapped her daughter's face, then lifted her up and spanked her through her thin panties. I started to say something. My wife elbowed me. Looking at her she shook her head saying, "Don't you dare get involved."

Should we get involved? How?
No it is not your business === and it did not hurt the child that much.

Most parents today let their children do what ever, and the child has no discipline.

I have seen children tell their parent to shut up,
and they are tied of hearing the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy