Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times

Advertisements

People are free to do what they want, however personally I find the dietary restrictions to be too much of a pain to ever want to deal with vegans around meal time. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to agree on what to eat only to have the vegan limit the options to only the one place that has good vegan food.

I also find it similarly frustrating when people refuse to eat any other type of food and subject a group to follow their choices. The guy at work who refuses to eat anything "Asian" such as chinese, sushi, or thai is also on my list of annoying diatry restrictions.

In general, I just oppose overly picky eaters in group situations. But on your own, eat what you want.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Just saw a little report on the Indian city of Palitana, the world's first vegetarian city, where meat is illegal because of the Jain history of that place.
There is some trouble, though, because unfortunately 20% or so of the population are Muslims, who don't care about Jain people and their beliefs.
It was interesting to hear both sides' arguments, the difference in people's mindset is like day and night. The Jain people seem so much more sophisticated and kind, probably too much so for our current world And they have been for more than 2 millennia. To normal people they do come across as radical when they wipe the floor before every step they take so they don't crush an insect.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

I have a different question though. How come, it is vegetarian, vejiˈte(ə)rēən/ but it's vegan,
vēgən,ˈvejən/?
Because the G is followed by an E in 'vegetarian' an by an A in 'vegan'. English language rule about hard-consonants and back-vowels, violated only by "margarine" (a made-up word) and the British spelling of "gaol".

Like "rigid" and "rigor". It's all about front- and back-vowels.

===

If you're ever wondering if plants are "sentient", ask yourself why they turn to face the sun. Same reason you turn over in bed -- Because they "feel" uncomfortable when they don't.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-13-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Margarine can be vegetarian or vegan, though

Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
My opinion on this is... I don't really care if something's sentient. Just doesn't bother me. Sentient things kill other sentient things all the time, it's not nice but that's just nature. And we're not outside of nature no matter how complicated/sophisticated we get. The death part isn't what bothers me, it's the **** lives that intensively-farmed animals have to suffer.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
My opinion on this is... I don't really care if something's sentient. Just doesn't bother me. Sentient things kill other sentient things all the time, it's not nice but that's just nature. And we're not outside of nature no matter how complicated/sophisticated we get. The death part isn't what bothers me, it's the **** lives that intensively-farmed animals have to suffer.
But they only suffer BECAUSE they are sentient, which you say, though, you don't really care about. So I don't quite get your post...

Old 09-13-2015, 11:49 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
But they only suffer BECAUSE they are sentient, which you say, though, you don't really care about. So I don't quite get your post...
No no, I meant that I'd have no problem whatsoever with animals being killed for their meat if it wasn't for the disgusting way they're raised. If a cow or something has had a happy life and a quick, clean death then I've got no issue whatsoever.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:01 PM

Anyway, I am against eating animals altogether. Being an atheist I don't have religious reasons like Jain or Buddhist people. It is simply the abomination of nature I reject, I don't live in nature, nor do I want to behave as if I did. I have come to really dislike nature, it is one big genocide and I don't want to be part of it. I don't see a difference between eating a cow and eating a human.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:24 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Anyway, I am against eating animals altogether. Being an atheist I don't have religious reasons like Jain or Buddhist people. It is simply the abomination of nature I reject, I don't live in nature, nor do I want to behave as if I did. I have come to really dislike nature, it is one big genocide and I don't want to be part of it. I don't see a difference between eating a cow and eating a human.
That's my reason for being a vegan too.

After a while the concept of eating meat becomes so foreign that it really is similar to eating human flesh.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
That's my reason for being a vegan too.

After a while the concept of eating meat becomes so foreign that it really is similar to eating human flesh.
How often have you had human flesh that you can say eating a steak is similar to eating human flesh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy