Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:45 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times

Advertisements

You left out the poor Fruitarians!

I really think that it isn't really a philosophical decision to eat only veggies (or fruits LOL) even though it may seem that way because it is actually more natural for the body to crave veggies. It is only the ongoing cultural practice of eating meat that causes most people to eat it.

Science shows that humans are herbivores by design...
"There is no more authoritative source on anthropological issues than paleontologist Dr. Richard Leakey, who explains what anyone who has taken an introductory physiology course might have discerned intuitively--that humans are herbivores. Leakey notes that "[y]ou can't tear flesh by hand, you can't tear hide by hand.... We wouldn't have been able to deal with food source that required those large canines" (although we have teeth that are called "canines," they bear little resemblance to the canines of carnivores). In fact, our hands are perfect for grabbing and picking fruits and vegetables. Similarly, like the intestines of other herbivores, ours are very long (carnivores have short intestines so they can quickly get rid of all that rotting flesh they eat). We don't have sharp claws to seize and hold down prey. And most of us (hopefully) lack the instinct that would drive us to chase and then kill animals and devour their raw carcasses. Dr. Milton Mills builds on these points and offers dozens more in his essay, "A Comparative Anatomy of Eating.""

So really a vegetarian or vegan is just doing what is natural for the human body by design whereas a meat eater is just conforming to cultural norms.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
While I am also a strict vegetarian, I do not share that view 100%. Ancient humans just like gorillas had insects hidden in their plant food stuff, maybe they even ate insects deliberately, like chimps do. Some even say insects are the food of the future

But I do agree that mammals, fish etc. were not natural food for early humans.

Nor do I think it was necessary for our development as some keep suggesting. Compare gorillas and chimps for instance. They are equally intelligent and sophisticated, but the former are almost vegetarians (except insects), while the latter hunt and eat a lot of mammals. If anything hunting has made us more aggressive and hideous, but not more intelligent.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,812 times
Unless you are a strict hedonist or nihilist then there is no ethical justification for eating meat.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:21 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
I have observed vegans and vegetarians who were quite healthy and similarly those who looked quite wretched.

Inuits may have a very hard time pursuing a vegan diet and I would never suggest that they were in any manner morally deprived for eating fish or animals - it they are even able to find them.

Dogmatism of any time is usually quite unhealthy and I try to avoid one, instead I seek a path of moderation. If I was dogmatic I would have lots of problems with anyone who kills plants for their own selfish desire to live. But I am not dogmatic and recognize in some manner or form all humans must consume life in order to maintain their own life. Vegans are simply drawing a different line, but still they are required to consume life. To each his own, but I know of vegans who ultimately gave up the practice because it proved unhealthy for them.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I have observed vegans and vegetarians who were quite healthy and similarly those who looked quite wretched.

Inuits may have a very hard time pursuing a vegan diet and I would never suggest that they were in any manner morally deprived for eating fish or animals - it they are even able to find them.

Dogmatism of any time is usually quite unhealthy and I try to avoid one, instead I seek a path of moderation. If I was dogmatic I would have lots of problems with anyone who kills plants for their own selfish desire to live. But I am not dogmatic and recognize in some manner or form all humans must consume life in order to maintain their own life. Vegans are simply drawing a different line, but still they are required to consume life. To each his own, but I know of vegans who ultimately gave up the practice because it proved unhealthy for them.
It isn't about consuming life, it is about not torturing and slaughtering sentient beings.

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 09-19-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
It isn't about consuming life, it is about torturing and slaughtering sentient beings.
I for one am not about to tell someone to live an unhealthy life. Feel free to do so if you wish, but I hope you are entirely upfront about the nature of your advice.

You may be comfortable arbitrarily drawing the line at sentient beings but I am not so comfortable. Given that plants also have feelings, I cannot think of a more torturous manner to treat plants than by putting them through a Vita-Mix. Of course crushing them with my teeth, chewing them up with saliva, and then chemically destroying then in the stomach must also be quite excruciating.

But since life consumes life in order to continue its journey of life, I have accepted it all as part of the cycle of life. Drawing arbitrary lines as part of a new game really adds nothing other than the ability to form a new group around an arbitrary moral code. It's great for creating new Meetup groups. Vegans are very active, especially single vegans.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I for one am not about to tell someone to live an unhealthy life. Feel free to do so if you wish, but I hope you are entirely upfront about the nature of your advice.

You may be comfortable arbitrarily drawing the line at sentient beings but I am not so comfortable. Given that plants also have feelings, I cannot think of a more torturous manner to treat plants than by putting them through a Vita-Mix. Of course crushing them with my teeth, chewing them up with saliva, and then chemically destroying then in the stomach must also be quite excruciating.

But since life consumes life in order to continue its journey of life, I have accepted it all as part of the cycle of life. Drawing arbitrary lines as part of a new game really adds nothing other than the ability to form a new group around an arbitrary moral code. It's great for creating new Meetup groups. Vegans are very active, especially single vegans.
There is zero evidence than plants are sentient, hell there is zero evidence that clams are sentient. If you want to believe in stuff without evidence, that is your choice.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
There is zero evidence than plants are sentient, hell there is zero evidence that clams are sentient. If you want to believe in stuff without evidence, that is your choice.
Of course, anyone who raises plants knows that they are quite aware of c what is going on. Science has provided some additional evidence.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...m-the-sentient

However, vegans will redefine or deny just to maintain their moral charade. No different than meat eaters who might deny that animals have feelings. Of course all life forms have some sort of feelings. That is how they survive! Pretend if you wish and enjoy your moralistic Meetup groups if you wish.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Of course, anyone who raises plants knows that they are quite aware of c what is going on. Science has provided some additional evidence.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...m-the-sentient

However, vegans will redefine or deny just to maintain their moral charade. No different than meat eaters who might deny that animals have feelings. Of course all life forms have some sort of feelings. That is how they survive! Pretend if you wish and enjoy your moralistic Meetup groups if you wish.
That isn't sentience. You are the one that is trying to redefine terms.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That isn't sentience. You are the one that is trying to redefine terms.
Sentience is the ability or capacity for sensation.
It is derived from the Latin to feel.

Think about that the next time you crush the life out of a living plant.

As for me, I just advise people to try to live a healthy life. I leave the moral high ground games to others, since there is no such thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy