Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 09:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Have you ever read Bergson or Whitehead?

Don't critique that which you don't understand. Use your Intelligence to try to learn and evolve. ☺

My intelligence has 'learned' me enough so that I know who to listen to and, honey, you ain't it.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:34 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My intelligence has 'learned' me enough so that I know who to listen to and, honey, you ain't it.
Lol. Listen to who you want but critique that which you understand . honey.

It is one fabulous comment to begin by saying you don't understand what is being said and then have the chutzbah to proclaim it is not relevant. Some kind of comment ... honey.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:14 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Lol. Listen to who you want but critique that which you understand . honey.

It is one fabulous comment to begin by saying you don't understand what is being said and then have the chutzbah to proclaim it is not relevant. Some kind of comment ... honey.
To paraphrae Erkel...."Did I say that??"

Old 08-29-2015, 04:20 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
If you read what I wrote, you by now should have realized that I have always said, Intelligence doesn't arise, it is fundamental. It is intelligence that is evolving. To put it another way, my personal interpretation of quanta is that quanta is intelligence.

Of course you are free to ignore this but hopefully this makes my poison perfectly clear.

1) Intelligence is fundamental.
2) Intelligence is what is evolving.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:41 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
Oh, I think Evolution basically debunks Creation all together. It refutes it; disproves it. Renders Creation to be the stuff of Mythology.
Interesting statement. I've always been inclined to take the view that in order for something to evolve it must first exist. How does a theory for the process of evolving through various developmental stages answer this? I don't really see how it even addresses the question.

Quote:
There's too much imperfection in Nature; it took too long to arrive; and even our modern bodies have flaws that no Intelligent Designer would make. And if there was a Creator, like a God, what took Him so long? LOL.
I'm often fascinated by the enormous number of folks who fancy themselves as being as knowledgeable - if not more knowledgeable - than the God of the universe.

Judging by what you've posted thus far, I'm inclined to view your apparent self flattery as being just a wee bit over the top.

Quote:
The Earth was around for a good 1 Billion years before the first microbes appeared.
...and you did insert the "mythology" term into the discussion.

Would you be so kind as to present some sort of empirical data or evidence to back thus up - something that we would not be required to accept on the basis of blind faith alone?

Quote:
As to how DNA first was made? We still aren't sure. But of course there are some hypotheses.

One can only speculate. They could have formed from smaller molecules present on primitive Earth, either very slowly over millions of years or rapidly before the Earth cooled down. Asteroids may have brought them from outer space,” he added, thought this doesn’t explain how they would have formed there.

DNA is life’s molecular blueprint, passed from generation to generation. It’s shaped somewhat like a twisted ladder with rungs anchored by interlocking pairs of two out of four molecules, known as nucleic acid bases. The four are adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine.

But many experiments have shown that simulated primitive Earth conditions can lead to the forma*t*ion of essential compounds of life including amino acids, nucleotides and carbohydrates, the researchers wrote in their study.

Remarkably, adenine has been found to arise from highly poisonous cyanide dissolved in ammonia and frozen in a refrigerator for 25 years. A high-temperature experiment designed to simulate early volcano-like environments also produced adenine. But the question is how.

But some biologists have worked out ideas for processes in which five cyanide molecules might combine to make adenine under terrestrial conditions. The proposal was based on computer-assisted studies that involved quantum mechanics, the sometimes illogical-seeming rules that govern atomic interactions.

The researchers said the report provides a more detailed under*standing of some of the processes of “chemical evolution,” and a partial answer to the basic question of how life’s chemistry emerged. The investigation should trigger similar probes into the origins of the three remaining bases and of other biologically relevant molecules, they added.
In summary, you seem to be saying that you agree with the hypothesis that information contained in the DNA molecule came about by chance over a long period of time.

Am I understanding you rightly?

Can you list for me the instances where information has actually been ADDED through the process of genetic variation or natural selection?

Quote:
Lastly...as far as teaching Creation. I really don't see a problem with even in a Biology class, the teacher spending a couple of lessons explaining the Creationists' idea. Even reading Genesis one day in class and throwing it out to the students for discussion. As long as the teacher explains in no in certain terms that Genesis' account has ZERO scientific validity to it and is highly--almost universally--derided by Biologists, chemists, and Anthropologists. But the 6000 y.o. Earth idea by some religious zealots is just too outlandish to even deserve mention in ANY school science class. I think. Leave THAT to the arenas of the Comp Religion and the Philosophy departments! LOL
"ZERO" scientific validity for the Genesis account?

Fascinating, lead on...

Old 08-30-2015, 06:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post

Can you list for me the instances where information has actually been ADDED through the process of genetic variation or natural selection?
Ok. Easy.

One of two mechianisms; either a duplication event and frameshift or mutation in coding leading to an amino acid insertion, led to the ability of a specific strain of flavobacterium to code for a new enzyme, nylonase that allowed it to digest nylon a man made material that has only been in existence for less than 100 years.

Nylonase as a novel enzyme is a specific example of a mutation leading to new information.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:59 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok. Easy.

One of two mechianisms; either a duplication event and frameshift or mutation in coding leading to an amino acid insertion, led to the ability of a specific strain of flavobacterium to code for a new enzyme, nylonase that allowed it to digest nylon a man made material that has only been in existence for less than 100 years.

Nylonase as a novel enzyme is a specific example of a mutation leading to new information.
Bravo!

A great example that demonstrates a mutation leading to an amino acid insertion is what we see in Sickle Cell disease.

Sickle cell anemia, a common form of sickle cell disease, is caused by a particular mutation in the HBB gene. This mutation results in the production of an abnormal version of beta-globin called hemoglobin S or HbS. In this condition, hemoglobin S replaces both beta-globin subunits in hemoglobin. The mutation changes a single protein building block (amino acid) in beta-globin.

Specifically, the amino acid glutamic acid is replaced with the amino acid valine at position 6 in beta-globin, written as Glu6Val or E6V. Replacing glutamic acid with valine causes the abnormal hemoglobin S subunits to stick together and form long, rigid molecules that bend red blood cells into a sickle (crescent) shape.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 PM

Does anyone see the parallel with humans creating gods for all the things that appeared mysterious or difficult to understand in the past with what we see today? Compare it to the ID folks who are marveled about the advancement in our knowledge of the molecular world...a knowledge base that they have little to no understanding about.

No different today from the Iron Ages. Something that appears magical and mysterious to them results in them creating an ID god.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:09 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Does anyone see the parallel with humans creating gods for all the things that appeared mysterious or difficult to understand in the past with what we see today? Compare it to the ID folks who are marveled about the advancement in our knowledge of the molecular world...a knowledge base that they have little to no understanding about.

No different today from the Iron Ages. Something that appears magical and mysterious to them results in them creating an ID god.

And at the risk of citing a somewhat cliche', obvious criticism of god and religion, the more scientific knowledge advances the less relevant the concept of god is. For instance, it was once common to for someone to praise an athlete's 'god given talent' (some still do). But we now know god is irrelevant in this regard. A person's athletic aptitude is determined primarily by biological factors like genetics, and environmental factors nutrition (esp early in life), and having an effective mentor/coach to hone this potential.

This is -of course- one of many examples of explanations that were once generally attributed to 'god' that now have a more coherent and comprehensive scientific explanation, thus rendering the concept of 'god' less significant.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:52 PM

It's amazing that humans today that cling to the god delusion fail to look back in history at all the gods that have been invented to explain the "magical mysteries".

There is a clear history of these gods and now there is the invention of the ID god...same myth applied to a new "magical mystery".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy