Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 01:10 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
That makes no sense to me.

If anything the numbers would tilt more on the side they wish they weren't born. In my view many are either too ashamed to admit it or they don't want to come off as a negative person.

I'm a bit surprised at some of these posts as well but I agree and can relate.
I was just trying to figure out why the answers were so lopsided in favor of not being born. All I could think of was that there wasn't as much to say about the other position. "Yes, I'm here, I like it, or I've liked enough of it that I'm glad I've gotten to experience it." pretty much sums it up. The other answer, just because it's not something you hear people say every day for whatever reason, might give someone more to write a post about. Don't know, just speculating. I agree there are people who wouldn't want to admit they feel that way, but more so in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:32 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
And going back, it looks like it was pretty close to even, not lopsided at all. I guess it's more that there were more votes for no than I would have expected, that made them seem to stand out more. Close to 50/50 is a lot more votes for no than you'd probably get in real life, that's for sure anyway.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:08 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
And going back, it looks like it was pretty close to even, not lopsided at all. I guess it's more that there were more votes for no than I would have expected, that made them seem to stand out more. Close to 50/50 is a lot more votes for no than you'd probably get in real life, that's for sure anyway.
Don't be so sure about that. There are more "no" votes than I expected as well.

I only had one other conversation about this and that was a good friend of mine who tried to commit suicide several months ago. He is clearly on the side of life not being worth it.

As much as I (for the most part) do not enjoy living I know there are a few people who care about me so for that reason only I will keep going, unless I get sick or disabled.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Should be pretty obvious, hence why I suggested you talk to someone. The natural urge to survive and live should be very strong, when the opposite is the case it tends to mean something isn't quite right.
To quote Forensic Pathologist Janis Amatuzio on the Born Bad episode of Deadly Women; "With depression, the will to live just simply trickles away."

Old 10-01-2014, 03:17 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I would not change a thing. I have loved every minute of my life and I was born at the perfect time in history ( grew up in the 50's and 60's). I, too , am surprised that so many people have reservations about being born or into what circumstances.........life is so precious and short, we need to enjoy it to the fullest while we have it.

But I would bet good money on one thing. If those same people were laying on a hospital table and the Dr said he wasn't sure if he could save them or not, I know the vast majority would suddenly realize how much they wanted to live.

Don
You may count yourself blessed, but I don't think you should pass negative judgement on people who have suffered tremendously in life with things you have no experience going through. Those who had miserable, abusive childhoods, for example - I can understand why they would choose to avoid that pain - I had a pretty miserable one myself. However, now that I have my own children who I love dearly - I'm glad to be here - most of the time -- and YET - I sometimes REGRET bringing my beautiful children into such an awful world and I weep over the situation we are in on a world scale and how that could easily dash all their lives right as they are heading toward their 30s - - it makes me so sad to realize they are teetering on the edge of disaster because of so many selfish and cruel leaders running all the nations. It makes me sick that they live in a time when their representatives in Washington do not give a damn about any of our youth and they are all selfish to the hilt and corrupt through and through - both parties - their is only really ONE party - the WAR PARTY. This is what my children are facing! I really do hate that.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
You may count yourself blessed, but I don't think you should pass negative judgement on people who have suffered tremendously in life with things you have no experience going through. Those who had miserable, abusive childhoods, for example - I can understand why they would choose to avoid that pain - I had a pretty miserable one myself. However, now that I have my own children who I love dearly - I'm glad to be here - most of the time -- and YET - I sometimes REGRET bringing my beautiful children into such an awful world and I weep over the situation we are in on a world scale and how that could easily dash all their lives right as they are heading toward their 30s - - it makes me so sad to realize they are teetering on the edge of disaster because of so many selfish and cruel leaders running all the nations.

It makes me sick that they live in a time when their representatives in Washington do not give a damn about any of our youth and they are all selfish to the hilt and corrupt through and through - both parties - their is only really ONE party - the WAR PARTY. This is what my children are facing! I really do hate that.
It's not only the youth that they don't give a damn about...

Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
I would not change a thing. I have loved every minute of my life and I was born at the perfect time in history ( grew up in the 50's and 60's). I, too , am surprised that so many people have reservations about being born or into what circumstances.........life is so precious and short, we need to enjoy it to the fullest while we have it.

But I would bet good money on one thing. If those same people were laying on a hospital table and the Dr said he wasn't sure if he could save them or not, I know the vast majority would suddenly realize how much they wanted to live.

Don
You would lose if you bet on me.

But you would get to keep your money as I have no one to leave it to.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 AM

324 posts, read 294,445 times
Quote:
Nope, I would gladly make my seat available to someone else on the planet. It would be so pleasing to die peacefully and not have any worries anymore.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:27 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
To the same mother? No. No child should ever have to go through what I did with that woman.

Otherwise, yes.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Yes, definitely. My life has been filled with tremendous joys and tremendous pain, but overall I find this planet, and most of its inhabitants, to be beautiful and fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy