Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,021,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Because of racism, the "inferior" races of the world were largely subject to exploitation, humiliation and/or even enslavement by the "superior" and "civilized" Western nations of the world.

Because of racism, there have been double standards between the way that "inferior" races especially non-whites and whites have been treated. If it is unacceptable for Japan to conduct whaling practices on grounds of the preservation of endangered species, why is Australia not saying anything about the conduct of European whaling nations like Norway and Iceland?

Because of racism, anti-Muslim sentiments (especially after 911 and even today) in the world have pushed more Muslims into the terrorist war and be brainwashed by extremists.

Because of racism, many people in the West have criticized countries like Japan and South Korea for their strong xenophobic sentiments and policies when even their own countries (especially the US) still experience consistent racial profiling and stereotypes to this day.

It would be especially great to know what those, who have good friends of other races or experienced a different culture, think about this.
Yes, White people and only White people are the perpetrators of great evil in this world. Maybe one day we will be rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,494,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes, White people and only White people are the perpetrators of great evil in this world. Maybe one day we will be rid of them.
Thank you for helping me to make my case, though positioning your tongue so firmly in your cheek MUST have been terribly uncomfortable...

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM

723 posts, read 865,937 times
What? No.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:08 PM

4,178 posts, read 4,420,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have trouble narrowing it down to a single factor. I think that our problem lies in human nature when it's not restrained or mitigated by cultural influences or by our own.

The Seven Deadly Sins (Call them tendencies, if you don't like the word 'sin'.)

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.
Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.
Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.
Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.
Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.
Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.
Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

It isn't a problem that they are our baser tendencies. The problem lies in letting them control us.
Thanks for reminding me of this....

Vanity - Devils Advocate - YouTube

Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,868,512 times
I don't know about evil (that's a somewhat ambiguous term) but greed and differences in religion have been the source of all the killing and wars.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,764,091 times
Seriously????

No one thing is the 'root' of evil.
Evil, though subjective, enjoys an unusually easy consensus of opinion.
Unfortunately, its sources are many and its causes diverse.

And it will always exist.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,255,040 times
In addressing the question in the title of this thread, since you did include a well known Biblical phrase, my answer is this: When the Commandment were summed up in a nutshell, Love God, Love Each Other, I think racism is the epitome of disobedience. It's an easy "barometer" for God to see the condition of our hearts.

But I can't disagree with scripture that says "the love of money is the root of all evil". You have to agree, that's a huge factor behind most of the world conflict today.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:47 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,537,368 times
Quote:
Because of racism, the "inferior" races of the world were largely subject to exploitation, humiliation and/or even enslavement by the "superior" and "civilized" Western nations of the world.

Because of racism, there have been double standards between the way that "inferior" races especially non-whites and whites have been treated. If it is unacceptable for Japan to conduct whaling practices on grounds of the preservation of endangered species, why is Australia not saying anything about the conduct of European whaling nations like Norway and Iceland?

Because of racism, anti-Muslim sentiments (especially after 911 and even today) in the world have pushed more Muslims into the terrorist war and be brainwashed by extremists.

Because of racism, many people in the West have criticized countries like Japan and South Korea for their strong xenophobic sentiments and policies when even their own countries (especially the US) still experience consistent racial profiling and stereotypes to this day.

It would be especially great to know what those, who have good friends of other races or experienced a different culture, think about this.

Racism is simply not liking or being afraid of anyone who is different. I would add to that problem the lack of religious tolerance which includes the anti muslim sentiments you mentioned. More hatred and wars have been fought over religion than for any other reason in history. And it leads to horrible ethnic cleansing and genocide like the holocaust.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,843,083 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: Off topic

I think this is a very limited view of history. HOW were Muslims "inferior" in world history?

When Muhammad died in 632, his followers were stuck with no leader and so began the caliphate. Which would expand far beyond the Arabian peninsula east into the Persian empire, north into Byzantine territory, and west northern Africa.

Do you realize that the US's first international incident was with Muslims and our founders were DUMBFOUNDED as to what the heck was going on?

The US is guilty of "Consistent racial profiling"? Oh, so you mean Affirmative Action?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-07-2014 at 06:53 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 07:39 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,410,956 times
I am man who means what I say, so I'll get to the point. I used to think, "first you get the money, then you get the power".

I've changed some what over the years, it's about a choices, good vs. evil, that simple. In any language, in any people, in any country.

Our mettle as a people will always be tested, yet again. We have different factors to go around, no one factor gets a pass, we have some smarter people here then me, so you would know better then me, but, I know this much, evil comes in many forms, always deceptive, always cunning, it's only purpose in life is to take life. Treat human beings like ants, only to be stepped on and crushed. It doesn't care about your race, it doesn't care about your oil, or your power, it needs more evil to promote more death.

All is not lost, for their are good and decent men and woman out there, who run into the chaos instead of running away. They don't debate, they don't sit in the stands, they defend us, as long as their out there, confronting evil at every turn, willing to step up to the firing line for the betterment of all people. Then we're in good hands.

And racism, is only a word, in some circles, the only color, religion and belief is in each other.

Thanks,
Knight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy