Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:58 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
My thoughts exactly. I served two tours of combat in Viet Nam and worked 40 years as an LAPD officer. After a two days in 'Nam, the thought of death didn't bother me and it still doesn't. How I get there, however, is another matter!

If Hell does exist, I'm really in trouble.
Maybe the powers to be will cut you some slack for your service to your country and community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 12:15 PM

1,386 posts, read 998,369 times
I'm not so much afraid of death, but afraid of the idea that there is nothing after death. I've been the center of my universe for 52 years, so the idea of my consciousness just winking out gives me the willies.

As to manner of death, I think I'd rather go from a bullet to the head than to die from cancer. I saw my father die of lung cancer. Not a good way to go.

If I had the choice, I'd like to die an 85 year old man, in bed, on my back, with a blonde, 19 year old young woman, straddling me, on her cell phone, saying, "This old man was boning my brains out and he just died!"

--

Old 07-10-2016, 03:43 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
People fear dying because of the absolute finality of it.

Science, or anything else for that matter, has never proven any existence of life after death (including near death experiences).

Just imagine that one day, you will never again experience the joy of what it is to be alive.

One day, you'll fade away into darkness as your body organisms fail and your brain shuts off electrical activity.

When that happens, it's all darkness. It's like, as some who have experienced near death relate, going to sleep but without any conscious awareness. That itself doesn't sound as bad as an afterlife existence of pain and suffering.

But just imagine that when that happens, you'll never experience the joy of what makes you happy. No more passionate kisses. No more sunny days and cool breezes. No more taste of that favorite slice of pizza. No more enjoyment from movies, TV, video games. No more relaxation from sporting activities.

The list goes on and on. Why wouldn't people be afraid of that?

I can see those who believe in religion and an afterlife to not have as great a fear of dying. But for many of us non believers, the reality can be sobering.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 PM

343 posts, read 316,424 times
We are unfamiliar with the feeling of death and being dead itself, we know what it is like to be alive and breathing, thinking, feeling, etc.....but to have all of that come to an end someday, not being able to wake back up, everything gone...the very fact that the world keeps spinning and people keep living without your own existence...especially people close to you, that is all something we are unable to identify with.

How does anyone in this forum feel about asking people who have had 'near death experiences' on how there views on dying and being dead before their experience and after? I'm sure they would provide some insight on what to look forward to.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:24 PM

594 posts, read 698,134 times
Default Life comes from God

God has always been. Never had a start. Since God gave you a peice of him ( life ) , you will live forever too. YOU currently live in these bodies which were created as an avenue so death CAN occur for God to pay the penalty for sin in his children ( US ).
We all know we weren't born on this planet just to hang out and die, we all know there is a creator and we all know that we will to that creator.
People fear death because the consequences of not following the mandates and statues of that creator is eternal.
We can lie to ourselves and come with a million alternatives but no one will stand before the creator with an excuse. He already knows what excuse you're going to try to use. It will not work.
This life is the only chance WE have in eternity to get it right.
Whether you like it or not God gave a peice of him ( life ) to you and you will be alive as long as God is alive.
When you go to the bathroom today, look in the mirror. That person who is living in that body you're looking at.....lives forever.
Please people, don't listen to these evolution and other nonsense , you will stand alone when you die and face your creator.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
We really don't know what happens after death. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what happens when we die.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
But just imagine that when that happens, you'll never experience the joy of what makes you happy. No more passionate kisses. No more sunny days and cool breezes. No more taste of that favorite slice of pizza. No more enjoyment from movies, TV, video games. No more relaxation from sporting activities.

The list goes on and on. Why wouldn't people be afraid of that?
Why WOULD you be afraid of it?

I could see people being sad about the party going on without them -- assuming they enjoyed life in the first place and didn't suffer too much, such that they could regard it as a party and not a torture session.

But afraid? There is inherently nothing to fear from ... nothing.

Personally my life has been a mixed bag, somewhat biased towards suffering, grief, loss, and disappointment -- so being rather the worse for wear, I regard it as a feature, rather than a bug, that life is finite and has an endpoint. Also when you think about it, we are not built for eternity. We are story telling creatures, and stories need beginnings, middles, and -- yes -- ends. To me, all eternal lives would eventually become their own hell. I'm glad there's no reason to think we are obliged to have new experiences indefinitely, whether or not we actually want them.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 AM

914 posts, read 765,471 times
Death doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is the possibility of dying young or middle-aged and not being able to do all the things I want in this life b/c it's been cut short. I want to live to see my children grow up and have children of their own. And, I want to be able to have a comfortable retirement and travel with my wife and grow old with her. I know that one can never predict what will happen in the future, but this is what I want. Dying before say, my 70's or even late 60's, would cut a lot of that out. But, death it self isn't scary at all. How can one be afraid of nothing? There's literally nothing to be afraid of. It's like being afraid of what it was like before you were born.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm in my middle 50's - the reality of my mortality is real to me now.

I don't fear dying. I am a Christian and a believer. I believe in a higher power. I don't fear getting older that much either - I have kept myself in good physical shape. But I do fear regretting how I use the time I have left. I fear not getting to do things I want to do still, of not squeezing enough joy out of this journey. Time, and how I spend it, and my family, have become so much more precious.

I guess I have pretty much described what the "middle aged crisis" is - haven't I.
What is it about being in your middle 50s that aroused awareness of your mortality? Just curious, as many people ponder their mortalities at vastly different ages.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
meh..Been there done that....Resuscitated me 3 times before it stuck... The thing I ponder is why the human body works so hard at staying alive? This is a question I have for my Christian friends. Why do we fight so hard to stay alive when we know that we are guaranteed a better place???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy