Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:34 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,122 times

Advertisements

Miss Hepburn -

Again, it all just seems based on a feeling of 'woooo!' That seems like a really flimsy basis for such absolute and significant convictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Who is we? I personally know there is a God.If you are searching for a meaning in life then you have way to much time from not living life while you can.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:49 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
You can only know god exists if you can specifically, coherently, and definitively answer these questions:

- Where is god located? Again, be specific. 'In heaven' (or some other undefined location) is not a real answer, unless you can specify where this is exactly. Everywhere is also not actually an answer either as it has no practical usefulness.

- What is god composed of? Again, specifically. Carbon? Nitrogen? Beryllium? Stating it (god) is anything and everything is also completely useless in practical terms.

If you can provide clear and definitive evidence-based answers for these question, then, and only then can you know god exists. If you can't then you can only intuit that it exists; intuiting is not equivalent to knowing.
God's location so that we can see Him/ Her/ It for yourself?
Third Eye, pure and simple...I don't like to quote verses ...but may I say this is what
Jesus meant when he said ...If thine eye be single thy whole body will be full of light.
He meant it, I've seen 'It"...ha and so have many NDErs...a Light, a Divine Light at the center of
Reality within each atom...and we can see It within inside.
(I learned an esoteric Eastern meditation technique...and wowsa...it is brighter than 10,000
Suns as it is written in all scriptures from every culture.)

No practical usefulness to feel/ sense/ drink in the Divine Presence all
around you and in you?
About as useful as lovemaking or love Itself.

What's God composed of...you tie our hands. He created science; He is made up of
the full Element Chart...and beyond...
I was shown or it was revealed to me ''He" created RED!!! GREEN!...the Creator is Light slowed
down to look like, appear as everything!

The Cosmic Shapeshifter..haha, now I'm talking to myself getting high remembering...
makes no difference what the logical, worldly intellect thinks...doesn't matter at ALL!
It is a matter of Spirit, not intellect...gosh, to try to understand with
this little pea brain is funny.

To talk about spirit to one that only sees this silly 3rd dimension is impossible, period.
There is a leap that must happen...otherwise it is truly like being 'trampled by dogs'.

We have been out of the Platonian Cave, those that are not relying on blind faith and
speaking from a book...
From a world of seeing shadows...it
is impossible to comprehend there is a world of Sun and sky outside the Cave...
unless you can see it for yourselves...but you must leave the Cave of the
limited mind or intellect.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Miss Hepburn -

Again, it all just seems based on a feeling of 'woooo!' That seems like a really flimsy
basis for such absolute and significant convictions.
It is always the case of looking into the window...of course, you think it is wooo.
I understand.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:08 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Is that you, Richard Dawkins?
Dawkins would never say: "We don't know if there is a God..."

Personally, I see no evidence of a god therefore I conclude that there isn't one. Based on what I observed which is so much ugliness in many forms on the planet, there can't be.

The idea of any possibility there could be one should be ridiculed. But those who want to believe go ahead and have at it.
IMO this god character is not worthy of any praise whatsoever.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:51 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
We do know this: you cannot know the meaning of life if you haven't accepted Christ as your Savior.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:12 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
We do know this: you cannot know the meaning of life if you haven't accepted Christ as your Savior.
True. You do know that. But unfortunately, those who have higher standards of what it means to know something, don't know it.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:53 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
You can only know god exists if you can specifically, coherently, and definitively answer these questions:

- Where is god located? Again, be specific. 'In heaven' (or some other undefined location) is not a real answer, unless you can specify where this is exactly. Everywhere is also not actually an answer either as it has no practical usefulness.

- What is god composed of? Again, specifically. Carbon? Nitrogen? Beryllium? Stating it (god) is anything and everything is also completely useless in practical terms.

If you can provide clear and definitive evidence-based answers for these question, then, and only then can you know god exists. If you can't then you can only intuit that it exists; intuiting is not equivalent to knowing.

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:18 (NIV)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...18&version=NIV

"For we live by faith, not by sight."
2 Corinthians 5:7 (NIV)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...A7&version=NIV

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...A1&version=NIV

"For in this hope we are saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have?"
Romans 8:24 (NIV)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...24&version=NIV

Old 12-28-2014, 03:53 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
We? LOL.

Wrong. Make that you, not "we." Not everyone subscribes to the meaning of life according to you. Personally, I think it's nonsense.

Furthermore, there are many religions that do not include this invisible being named Jesus. Your meaning is the right one for you (and some others).

Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times
Quote:

Excuse me for butting in, but since I too would write that I know God exists, I'd like to answer your questions, if you don't mind.

If I met a stranger in a crowd and we chanced to speak, interact, shake hands, and then go our separate ways, I would know that the stranger exists. I may not know where the stranger lives, but I know that he does live.

Not having memorized the periodic table of elements, nor dabbled for long in biology, I may not know the physical composition of the stranger I met. I would know enough to tell you that he is a carbon-based life form, but that may be the extent of my knowledge of what he's 'composed of.'

God, on the other hand, is composed of tangible energy that I do not know the name of. Sometimes the dominant feeling when He 'shows up' (as Forrest Gump would say) is a peace beyond human peace and there are no words to describe it, except perhaps to suggest that if one were to multiply their deepest experience with human peace by a thousand - one might be only light years away from the neighborhood.

Sometimes God gives me visions, and instructions in those visions, and He always touches me in a tangible way. At times He has soaked me with mist, as from a cloud. At other times Jesus has placed His hand on my head. Words are usually unnecessary, but sometimes words are audibly spoken in English, as that is the language I use most often nowadays. Most often, God speaks to one's spirit in unspoken words, usually in answer to a prayer that requires an immediate response.

Because the stranger spoke to me, I know that he is real. Because the stranger held my hand, I know what it is to be touched by him. Because the stranger left his 'tangible energy' (call it kinetic, if you like) within me, transmitted via his voice, his presence, and his touch, I carry him with me, and within me - as one would do with someone one loves.

You wrote this post, so I know you (a stranger) do exist somewhere, though I don't know where. You exhibit the power of reason, so I know that you are intelligent. I don't know what you are made of, but I can assume you are human and give a scientific answer based on that assumption, but I do not know that you are human. You have never touched me, so I don't know what your energy feels like. You *could* be a computer program and this interchange could be unintelligible to you because of your limitations. At present, I can't know the truth of you.

Not so with my experience with God and our ongoing tangible relationship. God is not a 'stranger' to me.

Ultimately, I believe (please note that I did not say *know*) that 'For those who believe in God, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not believe, no explanation is possible.'

But it's worth a shot now and then.

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy