Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:38 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
Would like to hear from people who are fed up with the status quo and feel like "checking out" of modern society. Living more simply, rejecting modern values such as materialism, Hollywood, TV, constant eating out, too much overhead (big cable TV bills, big houses, big cars), expensive trips...I would like to hear how you manage to find friends who are like minded and whether you have any issues getting along with family members or people in work who don't share these values. Do you get treated like a "weirdo"?
We chased the latest and greatest when we were younger, but I think it is natural to push away from these things as you get older.
We enjoy living simply and do not need or want any of the things you mention. Any time I can find a "work around" for things like cable, phone or internet (which sometimes includes opting out) I feel like I'm "sticking it to the man". It becomes like a game sometimes. We are pretty close to dumping our home phone, because it seems like a waste, but we hate cellphones so much its hard to pull the trigger.
Friends in our age group are the same as we are. We're all comfortable, have downsized, and we don't waste money. We'll still splurge on things like theater tickets or premium bourbon sometimes, but it really needs to be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
A good movie is still an entertainment bargain. Two hours of feel good for $10-20 depending on locale. Still treat myself to that...and a few lite beers/week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We chased the latest and greatest when we were younger, but I think it is natural to push away from these things as you get older.
We enjoy living simply and do not need or want any of the things you mention. Any time I can find a "work around" for things like cable, phone or internet (which sometimes includes opting out) I feel like I'm "sticking it to the man". It becomes like a game sometimes. We are pretty close to dumping our home phone, because it seems like a waste, but we hate cellphones so much its hard to pull the trigger.
Friends in our age group are the same as we are. We're all comfortable, have downsized, and we don't waste money. We'll still splurge on things like theater tickets or premium bourbon sometimes, but it really needs to be worth it.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 06-22-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 12:15 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
Would like to hear from people who are fed up with the status quo and feel like "checking out" of modern society. Living more simply, rejecting modern values such as materialism, Hollywood, TV, constant eating out, too much overhead (big cable TV bills, big houses, big cars), expensive trips...I would like to hear how you manage to find friends who are like minded and whether you have any issues getting along with family members or people in work who don't share these values. Do you get treated like a "weirdo"?
I don't. Find friends. Matter of fact, "friends" as plural is rather an over statement anyway. You may have multiple acquaintances, but a true friend is a rare find. I had one, I know.
Otherwise, solitude is normal state to me. I fulfilled most of points in your post. I wish I could retire.... Take care of property, small farm we have. Hopefully, few more years.
See, you need spiritual friendship. Not physical. Well, corporeal, as in - with someone in corpore. Truly though, the only proximity you really need is with your true Self and with the Light of Intelligence. As mundane passes very fast, I do know - but eternal comes.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
I don't think you need to live like an ascetic to be happy, or to feign humility.

I think its just relative to our culture. Being labeled a hypocrite for enjoying earthly goods and pleasures is more the fault of the other than you.

If you think you need to live like this, then go ahead; for some it does make them happy. However we in the western world, aren't monks, and I believe if you are to "drop out" completely then you really do need to go all the way and sever those ties, that is, if you are to live authentically.

With absolutely no attachments your true self may start to take shape, however unless you join a convent or monastery living in the regular world will be extremely taxing on you and others.

I've known a few self-righteous people that say..."Oh I don't watch TV, but can I come over and watch the game?" or, "I really need a place to crash man," or "Can I get a few bucks to bail my car out from the impound lot?"

Sure they had their "convictions" but really, they were a burden to themselves and to others.

So my suggestion is, if you're going to do it, do it all of the way. And if you don't or so it half-way, then be prepared for some push back.

Ironically those with certain convictions are some of the most self-absorbed people; believing that all are sheeple and ignorant.

No, people are people. We all have issues, and families and responsibilities to those families. Either way: normal or weird isn't easy. People try their whole lives to fit in, people also try their whole lives to tune out. The only real advice is to do what you feel is right, and live authentically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy