Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times

Advertisements

how can i stop being a fatalist,i believe in fate and probably always will but sometimes it overwhelms me. like tonight i was talking to this girl online we spoke for hours,very deep conversation,havent had such a great conversation in a long time.Anyway we ended up talking again,and we were talking and i felt she was kind of being vague for a second so i disconnected without really thinking what i was doing,and could'nt reconnect again,its a chat thing.

the rest of the night i kept thinking why did i do that,now i've changed the whole fate of my day/night,i probably would have talked to her all night,had some huge revelation about something,learnt something,discovered something important about myself,became friends,etc etc - my whole fate is different now cause i suddenly disconnected,ill do different things tonight and my fate is completely changed from the fate if i had kept talking to her.

anyway its driving me crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times
Be a fatalist. Drive your own.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Your *fate* is exactly as it should be since you consciously chose to end the conversation.
It is in the past and cannot be changed and there is nothing accomplished when one wastes one moment of their life on
*what if*

Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
thats just what i want to hear,good advice,but i felt like i didnt even know what i was doing when i disconnected,i was not really thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Your *fate* is exactly as it should be since you consciously chose to end the conversation.
It is in the past and cannot be changed and there is nothing accomplished when one wastes one moment of their life on
*what if*

Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
thats just what i want to hear,good advice,but i felt like i didnt even know what i was doing when i disconnected,i was not really thinking.

Apparantly you were thinking or you would not have chosen to disconnect.
You have already wasted too many moments on this non issue.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:37 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Maybe your fate is to go through life without really thinking?

If that's OK, then learn to accept it, if not then unlearn it...

Old 12-09-2015, 11:26 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times
There is no consensus yet in the subject of "free will", if it really exists or not...

Old 12-09-2015, 05:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
how can i stop being a fatalist,i believe in fate and probably always will but sometimes it overwhelms me. like tonight i was talking to this girl online we spoke for hours,very deep conversation,havent had such a great conversation in a long time.Anyway we ended up talking again,and we were talking and i felt she was kind of being vague for a second so i disconnected without really thinking what i was doing,and could'nt reconnect again,its a chat thing.

the rest of the night i kept thinking why did i do that,now i've changed the whole fate of my day/night,i probably would have talked to her all night,had some huge revelation about something,learnt something,discovered something important about myself,became friends,etc etc - my whole fate is different now cause i suddenly disconnected,ill do different things tonight and my fate is completely changed from the fate if i had kept talking to her.

anyway its driving me crazy?
ignore reality and make it ok for yourself. Maybe you would have went down on her ship. What the truth doesn't matter anyway. good luck, I mean that.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
What you are referring to is habit not fate.

We do things repetitiously in life (relationships are often filled with co-habits). This is not fate, but rather a repetition of past habits though no two repetitions are ever exactly the same, though they may seem very much alike.

There is no define future. Life just manifests based upon all events that are continously created. What happens happens. What could have happened is just another creation of a creative mind and again it is what happens.

We have a choice to change direction, i.e. do something different than our habits would imply, but results are always uncertain. It may feel worse or better than we had imagined it would buy we learn and choose different directions if we choose.

Your post is a new direction which is affected by all that you are reading. Life is about choices, observation, learning and then make new choices.

If you choose to remain a fatalist, then this is an example of a habit.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:29 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Apparantly you were thinking or you would not have chosen to disconnect.
You have already wasted too many moments on this non issue.

I don't think she is wasting time to examine her actions if it will help her future life. If she dwells exclusively on this moment and learns nothing then yes it's navel-gazing and not good.

Her actions came subconsciously so if it were me I'd try and figure out why my subconscious did a "disconnect". Sometimes a similar situation will happen to me and a thought will pass through my head about something that happened and I will mentally wince and ask myself "Why did I say that?" or "do that?"

Others go through their lives never thinking about what they do or self-critiquing but some of us are more aware, just the way we are born.

After I re-examinewhat I did or said I will sometimes change my behavior for the better (I think) and sometimes even apologize to a person I said something to unintentionally that might have been hurtful. Small things do matter and add up to big things. I am an artist and maybe I see the world differently.

OP: I don't think you are a fatalist, there is another word I cannot remember but maybe will later

Last edited by imagardener; 12-11-2015 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: add-on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy