Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I totally agree again with you. The question is "why do we remember negative events with more clarity the "positive events" generally.

First it starts with how the brain works. Then we can talk about how to modify the brain based on how it works. or seems to work, you get that I am not sure how it works. Nobody is. Every reason we give people to try a technique should be linked back to how the brain works. Use its plasticity to "rethink" your "thinking". close one "pathway" or make another "easier for the electron flow". Well, actually the electron is "passed down". The net effect will be changing your dreams.

And we can address, "how you can, in your daily life, change what dominates your thoughts." that's all great stuff right there. all based off of what we know.
I think we remember negative event and not positive event has probably something to do with our expectation. When we are expected of something, is like simply it fits in, and we don't need to go through the struggling state. When it comes to negative events, we tend to remember it because we expected certain way and it didn't go the way how we wanted, so that itself might created a mark. For example, if you assembly a desk and you do exactly what the manual tell you to do, the draw will fit perfectly into the desk without any problem, and if we don't, then it will not fit, and we will notice that we didn't do something right. It is all in the brain. Now we have the question, where did the brain get the concept or idea or the notion of something is wrong? I think most of us would agree that is from the mind, and now, what is mind? The question keeps going on and on until someone can really explain it, but most of the time, we can't because we don't have an answer, and when that happen, we tend to say, is just there. Really? Is it really there or is it our illusion of the sense that it is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I had a traumatic incident in 1995. When under stress later I would have one of these alternative reality dreams alluded to above from 1998-2001,eventually went away.

Yesterday I had a Twilight Zone like dream where I was trapped in my bedroom and the door was sealed. I pulled away the curtains and people were watching me from outside. They were in their cars like watching a drive-in theater presentation(me). I fought myself to awaken thinking I would go insane as this is what insanity is like, an alternative reality. Finally I awoke in a sweat.
Very true, it happens to me from time to time too. One time, I had a dream that feel just like my daily work, and at one point of time, I realize is a dream, and I was happy it was a dream because I did something wrong in the dream. On top of that, sometime we wish reality is the dream because we did something wrong or something didn't go the way how we expected to be, and is simply not a dream because there's no another state of mind that you can wake up to and say, oh I am so happy that it was only a dream.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
I think we remember negative event and not positive event has probably something to do with our expectation. When we are expected of something, is like simply it fits in, and we don't need to go through the struggling state. When it comes to negative events, we tend to remember it because we expected certain way and it didn't go the way how we wanted, so that itself might created a mark. For example, if you assembly a desk and you do exactly what the manual tell you to do, the draw will fit perfectly into the desk without any problem, and if we don't, then it will not fit, and we will notice that we didn't do something right. It is all in the brain. Now we have the question, where did the brain get the concept or idea or the notion of something is wrong? I think most of us would agree that is from the mind, and now, what is mind? The question keeps going on and on until someone can really explain it, but most of the time, we can't because we don't have an answer, and when that happen, we tend to say, is just there. Really? Is it really there or is it our illusion of the sense that it is there.
Yeah, true. There really is no single answer to be sure. So what you say is fine. think of the amount of "brain" that turns on in a dangerous situation vs. how it turns on when your mom tells you she loves you. Time slows down when you are thinking faster.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yeah, true. There really is no single answer to be sure. So what you say is fine. think of the amount of "brain" that turns on in a dangerous situation vs. how it turns on when your mom tells you she loves you. Time slows down when you are thinking faster.
I'm not sure if I should agree with you about time slows down when we think faster. I thought time slow down when you have control on your mind with what you perceive on every moment of life. When we were little, we nearly look at every little action that people do, it could be a small gesture, it could be something that someone did without even being aware of, and kids simply enjoy everything they perceive, excluding yelling at the kids of course.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
I'm not sure if I should agree with you about time slows down when we think faster. I thought time slow down when you have control on your mind with what you perceive on every moment of life. When we were little, we nearly look at every little action that people do, it could be a small gesture, it could be something that someone did without even being aware of, and kids simply enjoy everything they perceive, excluding yelling at the kids of course.
again. you are right. too funny. There rarely is no "one" answer.

Think about the ways "precieved time" can slow down for a person.

It can slow in their heads by thinking less. that easy enough to see, I think

It can slow down but having more thoughts than normal. Like 10 thoughts per second as compared to 5 thoughts per second. If you are used to 5t/s and you are "excited" to 10t/s and asked to tell us when a minute has gone by you will actually be short. to cool. same with old people.

There are few more I should think, but I bet they'll back to those two. I only store the "bottom line" stuff. I only have two brain cells and one is for my name and ss number. More thoughts = more electrons = burned in pathways. It loosely relates to "muscle memory". Also, concentrated/focused thoughts can burn them in. Add in the discussion "focused" vs. "time" to "pathway thickness" it becomes crystal clear why negative events are remembered. Or more precisely, "learned" so very darn well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy