Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:49 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,118 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the saying ''If you can't make yourself loved, make yourself feared'?
Does it have any sense in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:50 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
kinda. If I am such an unpleasant person and feel so miserable about myself that I think I am unworthy of being loved, then I might turn into a dick and hurt people around me, getting a kick out of being feared and avoided.

Uhm. yeah.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:08 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
I don't think that quote is about relationships though so much as it's about leadership/power. Seems like people follow leaders out of love and respect for them (like Eisenhower, Ghandi, Geroge Washington, Madela, etc) or fear (like Stalin, Kim Jong Il, Pol Pot, etc). On the surface, it seems to work.

If you are talking about romantic relationships, it's crap advice. The only people who will love you out of fear are pretty badly broken themselves. Sounds like a lot of drama.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
It sounds like a derivative of Machiavelli's, "It is better to be feared than loved ..." idea.

He believed that the outcome of being feared would be more reliable, given human nature. He argued that people would ultimately betray you if it served their advantage, although he also said that it would be best to be both loved AND feared.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:15 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It sounds like a derivative of Machiavelli's, "It is better to be feared than loved ..." idea.

He believed that the outcome of being feared would be more reliable, given human nature. He argued that people would ultimately betray you if it served their advantage, although he also said that it would be best to be both loved AND feared.
Interesting thought about being loved and feared. I think love and fear leaders would be Patton, Eva Peron, Julius Ceasar.

It's an interesting topic.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
kinda. If I am such an unpleasant person and feel so miserable about myself that I think I am unworthy of being loved, then I might turn into a dick and hurt people around me, getting a kick out of being feared and avoided.

Uhm. yeah.
What's the use of it? In this case you lose even the small chance you have to be loved.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
The only people who will love you out of fear are pretty badly broken themselves. Sounds like a lot of drama.
A Stockholm syndrome? any other exceptions?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

And he was also talking about leadership and politics, not romantic relationships. I'd wonder about anyone using Machiavelli as as dating manual.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And he was also talking about leadership and politics, not romantic relationships. I'd wonder about anyone using Machiavelli as as dating manual.
Yeah, I certainly am not suggesting it.

I don't think this quote has anything to do with romantic relationships either.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
What do you think of the saying ''If you can't make yourself loved, make yourself feared'?
Does it have any sense in your opinion?
I guess it makes sense... if you're one of those people that are constantly getting picked on and harassed.

If people leave you alone, then I don't really see the point.

My philosophy for the ones who are left alone...

If you want to be Loved, show that you Love yourself.

Now, this is not about going around thinking; "I'm the s---!!!

This is more along the lines of taking care of yourself, taking care of your body. Making yourself look as good as possible, etc.

That's right, looking good is also a sign of loving yourself.

I'm not saying you have to be Brad Pitt to love yourself so don't even go there. I'm saying you just have to look YOUR best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy