Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:41 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,318,637 times

Advertisements

That word has been thrown around a lot here recently.

What do you think intelligence is?

Einstein said, "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

Socrates said, "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."

My pc is really good at storing and retrieving things. Is it very intelligent in its own way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
That word has been thrown around a lot here recently.

What do you think intelligence is?

Einstein said, "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

Socrates said, "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."

My pc is really good at storing and retrieving things. Is it very intelligent in its own way?

I think what Einstein said is very significant. He's basically saying that it's about the gift of being able to see into problems and coming up with original solutions.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,662,183 times
Howard Gardner:
The ability to create an effective product or offer a service that is valued in a culture;
A set of skills that make it possible for a person to solve problems in life; and
The potential for finding or creating solutions for problems, which involves gathering new knowledge

Old 08-20-2015, 10:53 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,407,810 times
Quote:
Intelligence has been defined in many different ways such as in terms of one's capacity for logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, emotional knowledge, memory, planning, creativity and problem solving.
If you subscribe to evolution, then Problem Solving is probably what it all comes down to.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,621,617 times
A short note relating to intelligence in relation to the intellect from wiki;

---------------
Intellect is a term used in studies of the human mind, and refers to the ability of the mind to come to correct conclusions about what is true or real, and about how to solve problems. Historically the term comes from the Greek philosophical term nous, which was translated into Latin as intellectus (derived from the verb intelligere) and into French (and then English) as intelligence.

Discussion of the intellect can be divided into two broad areas. In both of these areas, the terms "intellect" and "intelligence" have continued to be used as related words.
  • Intellect and Nous in philosophy. In philosophy, especially in classical and medieval philosophy the intellect or nous is an important subject connected to the question of how humans can know things. Especially during late antiquity and the middle ages, the intellect was often proposed as a concept which could reconcile philosophical and scientific understandings of nature with monotheistic religious understandings, by making the intellect a link between each human soul, and the divine intellect (or intellects) of the cosmos itself. (During the Latin Middle Ages a distinction developed whereby the term "intelligence" was typically used to refer to the incorporeal beings which governed the celestial spheres in many of these accounts. Also see: passive intellect and active intellect.
  • Intellect and Intelligence in psychology. In modern psychology and neuroscience, intelligence and intellect are used as terms describing mental ability (or abilities) that allow people to understand. A distinction is sometimes made whereby intellect is considered to be related to "facts" in contrast to intelligence concerning "feelings". Intellect refers to the cognition and rational mental processes gained through external input rather than internal.
A person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical reasoning in either a professional or a personal capacity is often referred to as an intellectual.

I believe intelligence is fundamentally in reference to the intellect, while its subsets, e.g. emotional intelligence and other intelligences [Gardner] are a combination of the intellect with other faculties in various degrees.

Besides intelligence and the intellect, one crucial faculty is wisdom [the fundamental of philosophy], i.e. the ability to translate knowledge acquired via the intellect from various sources into actions and practical results that are optimal to the well being of the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.

PC - that's part of artificial intelligence as with the majority consensus.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,471,807 times
best to stay with the definition(s) on this one I think. Like the post above.

I Think it has levels and rows. I also think of it more like identifying rocks for me. I can't be sure what it is, but I see some minerals I know in there. I can rule out many types of rocks but I would not put money on my final guess.

The same goes for intellect for me. I can rule out some interactions the entity is partaking in as intellect but I recognize some them as the same kind I have. But even that stance is limited to being earth.

In the end, watch the particle interactions. I think you will see "patters".

Old 08-21-2015, 07:12 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,599,440 times
I subscribe to Bergson's idea that Creative Intelligence, what be called the Elan Vital, is the fundamental essence of human (living) existence. It is That that is creating, learning, and evolving. It is not quantitative. It is qualitative since everyone is learning and evolving in their own way.

All learning is stored as Memories. Memories form the basis of our experience of Life and Time. Together Memories and Creative Intelligence create (for themselves) existence and the desire to survive - to evolve and learn more.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:44 PM

18,775 posts, read 27,204,822 times
First sign of intelligence is being aware that you are aware. Your pc is not aware of itself as itself. Cogito, ergo sum.
Intelligence is manifestation of Consciousness in a mind. The Light of Consciousness is everywhere and in everything. Everything is functioning as it is due to presence of Consciousness in it, to a certain degree. On nature side, everything is conscious only as its function. On intelligent side, everything is conscious that it is conscious, to a various degree of progression. Btw, that's what true masons degrees are for. As it all starts from a point, then through a line, then through a circle, until circle completes, and then that entity becomes Consciousness, as circle is symbol of fully complete entity.
In a human, Light of Consciousness, or Light of Intelligence, is clouded by physical and dimmed. When you think on a subject, you concentrate that Light on the subject of your thought, and The Light reveals it to you. This is why meditation(aka thought concentration) is the only way to find The Truth about anything and everything, as The Light reveals it to one that thinks.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:52 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,599,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is why meditation(aka thought concentration) is the only way to find The Truth about anything and everything, as The Light reveals it to one that thinks.
My experiences are different.

Each person discovers their own beliefs in their lives. I guess in the extreme, might suggest that their beliefs are Truths, but Truths is not in my philosophy bag.

I have found that meditation is a reasonable practice to learn more about oneself and life but it is just one tool. I would advocate a broad set of activities to further understanding via a multidimensional view of life. Exploring and understanding patterns across many different activities exercises Creative Intelligence and nourishes ones feeling for Life.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 AM

Lots of definitions for intelligence on the Urban Dic.

Urban Dictionary: Intelligence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy