Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times

Advertisements

What would you do and just as important why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:50 PM

19,986 posts, read 13,466,622 times
I try to live such that nothing much important is left unsaid or undone, so that if I drop dead without notice, there wouldn't be much in the way of loose ends. Which is fortunate because if the entire human race knew that it had 30 days left to live, the world outside my four walls probably wouldn't be terribly safe to venture out into. Too many people would be looting and pillaging, and otherwise acting out, and most business would probably close anyway. What is the point of earning a living with only 30 days to go ... might as well live off the pantry and take it easy.

Some people would be doing positive things, gathering to encourage each other and such, and if I could find my way to gatherings like that I would probably do so.

There's an old (1959) movie, On the Beach which explores a similar scenario.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:26 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
The movie Impact was what triggered the thread but yes, On The Beach was along that line too.

I think that once you realize that in 30 days the entire planet ceases to exist, no matter how well you've lived and thought nothing was left unsaid a lot of things would suddenly come up.

Agreed, many would act less than human in short order, if nothing more than knowing the consequences of doing so would probably never come to pass. Imagine then, the 30 days going by and by some reason, the calamity was averted. The reconciliation with the previous 30 days would probably be a consequence worse than original ending would have been.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:05 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
What would you do and just as important why?
. I hope it's a cool ending. being eaten by ants or a sharknado doesn't sound fun but watching an asteroid would be cool. I will assume fast. I have a young kid, so I probably would just keep going as we are until the 29th day then decide what we are doing on that day. I don't want it to die afraid

Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,821 times
OP brings up an interesting point: assuming there's some sort of final days like in the movie Last Night then I would be more scared during those 30 days then I would on the 30th.

There would be anarchy and bedlam and it would be the scariest 30 days on Earth. One would probably hope for death.

I'd like to be with family in a remote place, or to travel someplace really nice, but logistically I don't think that would be possible.

Now if it were just my last days, then I'd travel, eat awesome food, and see the rest of the world with my wife before I go.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:13 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Given that most people would turn into looting, raping aholes, all I can imagine I would get to do is hide and defend myself.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM

19,020 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The movie Impact was what triggered the thread but yes, On The Beach was along that line too.

I think that once you realize that in 30 days the entire planet ceases to exist, no matter how well you've lived and thought nothing was left unsaid a lot of things would suddenly come up.

Agreed, many would act less than human in short order, if nothing more than knowing the consequences of doing so would probably never come to pass. Imagine then, the 30 days going by and by some reason, the calamity was averted. The reconciliation with the previous 30 days would probably be a consequence worse than original ending would have been.
And exactly how do you know what will happen next to you? How do you know it will be 30 days? Why not 3 or 3 hours? Here's a suggestion. Find Master and Margarita by Bulgakov. At the beginning, there is a great passage, when Berlioz meets Voland (Satan) and has some religious conversation with Him, trying to convince Him that He does not exist and neither did Christ.
At some point, Voland asks Berlioz - What are your plans for tonight? Berlioz goes saying that he will go to a famous restaurant where he will have supper and meeting with writers. To what Voland chuckles and says: But this is quite impossible, as Annushka already spilled the oil.
Read. Also has the most beautiful story about Jesus I have ever read, and I read A LOT of books.
Bet will make you thinking.
But to answer youe question. Nothing different. Why would I?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Default The world as a habitable planet ends in 30 days, you do what?

Call my friends and ask if they can give me a ride to Alpha Centauri?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Party like hell and get wasted.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
If I were given warning on the 35th day, I would pack up my family and drive to my friend's house in northern Idaho, as this strikes me as a very safe place to wait out the end of days. And if I were warned on the 31st day, I would go to my brother-in-law's house in western Michigan, as where he lives is a saner part of the country than where I do.

But if I got the same warning as everyone else, I would gather my family at home as quickly as possible, then stay there. Maybe I would try to get to the grocery store right away, in order to stock up before the shock of the announcement really set in, and thus before the looting and rioting and raping and pillaging kicked in. But otherwise, yeah, we won't be going outside again. I'd rather die by whatever natural calamity was on the way than at the hands of a bloodthirsty mob.

And while we were hunkered down in the house, counting down the days, I would be reassuring my kids with stories of God's love and how we will be much better off, once we're in heaven. Granted, I already tell them these things; but I suspect it would have special resonance with The End staring us in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy