U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 PM

174 posts, read 133,580 times

Advertisements

Here we go.. my thread transformed into a dispute between a blind believer referring to faith and rational non-believer.

The point of religion is morality.

YOU DON'T NEED to have faith to be a good person!

And there is no point in this argument if we could leave it at that.

And by the way, why would "god" have a gender? Does "he" have sex with something?

Fellow Atheists, save yourselves breath...anyone who is religious apparently lacks the ability to make decisions based on logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 AM

9,763 posts, read 14,877,202 times
"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one"

That would be nice for about an hour until the looting began.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 AM

34,840 posts, read 31,890,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
Humanity on the whole is not that far ahead of barbarianism. Maybe someday in the distant future, there will be no borders, no religions dividing and retarding people, and people will exercise universal morality simply for the sake of the common good, rather than scoring points with "god" or reward in the afterlife. Peaceful, comfortable living distills to a handful of things; play your part to contribute to common resources, don't hurt others, don't steal, don't control or take advantage of others for your own gain, respect the availability of resources, respect common living space by not littering. My, what a lovely world that would be.
You've just outlined why we do indeed have a border.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:29 AM

12,652 posts, read 9,887,470 times
Quote:
Humanity on the whole is not that far ahead of barbarianism. Maybe someday in the distant future, there will be no borders, no religions dividing and retarding people, and people will exercise universal morality simply for the sake of the common good, rather than scoring points with "god" or reward in the afterlife. Peaceful, comfortable living distills to a handful of things; play your part to contribute to common resources, don't hurt others, don't steal, don't control or take advantage of others for your own gain, respect the availability of resources, respect common living space by not littering. My, what a lovely world that would be.
I agree. Just because something seems unrealistic at any given point does not mean that no efforts to move in that direction are worthwhile. Even if it doesn't succeed, it's still better than where we are today, I'd argue. Or to quote Aerosmith, "dream on, dream on, dream until your dreams come true!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZfZ8uWaOFI

Old 07-28-2015, 07:45 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,281,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Ah there is a problem with your analogy. First off I assume that you believe GOD to be all powerful. If he is all powerful why would he waste his time leaving incredibly vague clues for believers. Not to mention a God that expects unquestioning loyalty and subservience with no evidence is incredibly disturbing in my opinion.

I'd list a hundred verses that are clear as a sunny day, but this isn't the religion forum, and you wouldn't believe them anyway.

Back to the philosophical, how do we enforce this human goodness in a universal manner?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:53 AM

4,318 posts, read 1,776,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I'd list a hundred verses that are clear as a sunny day, but this isn't the religion forum, and you wouldn't believe them anyway.

Back to the philosophical, how do we enforce this human goodness in a universal manner?
The bible doesn't count since it was written by humans. I could claim the Time Machine written by HG Wells proves time travel exists.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 AM

3,271 posts, read 3,085,386 times
Lightbulb America's Second Continental Congress got it right in 1777

Quote:
But--I think laws should be uniform across the world.
I disagree. I think laws should be even more varied, both across the USA and across the world, with some basic protections of human rights and human dignity. The 1777 Articles of Confederation stemmed called for a confederacy—placing sovereign power in the hands of the states: “Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.

People can then move to the venue where the laws best fit them. If you want to live in a nanny state where everybody is coddled and nothing is allowed to hurt you, but with very little freedom, that can be accommodated. If you would rather live in the ultimate expression of Randian Objectivism, that too should be available.

Trying to make the world more uniform and making every person the same is doomed to fail. Humans need diversity!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:57 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,281,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
The bible doesn't count since it was written by humans. I could claim the Time Machine written by HG Wells proves time travel exists.
Since everything was written by humans, what is your reference point for reality?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 AM

4,318 posts, read 1,776,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Since everything was written by humans, what is your reference point for reality?
Why the scientific process. I can't think of anything in bible that proves anything about our reality. No mention of gravity the earth orbiting the sun or how we work at a cellular level. It is a series of assertions written by mystics and it is a terrible tool for determining truth. In fact it has been an obstacle to truth for thousands of years as the believers have attempted to slow scientific progress.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 AM

198 posts, read 206,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Ohh, barbarism. I thought you were leaning more towards a "one earth" type deal like with Star Trek's United Federation of Planets.

A documentary mentioned "type II civilizations" and how they're permanent. I don't think we'll get to that point, but one can dream
Michio Kaku describes the 3 type of civilization pretty well. I think that once we reach Type I civilization (around 2100..?) and start to transition into a Type II civilization is when you will start to legitimately see an Earth without borders. The rise of a controlled AI and Interstellar travel will have the biggest effects to create a borderless world.

https://youtu.be/6GooNhOIMY0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or