Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 AM

163 posts, read 138,782 times

Advertisements

The above is a quote from a TV show and was curious if you would agree with it. Again: When children learn to devalue others they can devalue anyone including their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Ingratitude is a multiplier and provides guaranteed poverty

Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
One of my major critique of modern society is how selfish we've become. In order to become so self absorbed, you must devalue others by placing yourself as a priority far above them. Absolutely can this devaluing of individuals be extended to one's parents.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:25 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
one of the most disturbing views I ever heard expressed is
"since peace is not possible, then..."

because it opens the door to justifying any and every atrocity

it is proven time and time again in psychology, in history, in family systems, in personal relationships, that "devaluing others" is the first step down the slippery slope that inevitably leads to committing and rationalizing abuse, violence, brutality in every arena.

Hate begets hate, and spreads like cancer.
Peace is possible. And it is imperative. That is the most powerful teaching we can give our children.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-04-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 03:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
The above is a quote from a TV show and was curious if you would agree with it. Again: When children learn to devalue others they can devalue anyone including their parents.

I thought devaluing parents was a prerequisite for being a teenager.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:51 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
I think we are all normal until we go to college. College seems to be the tie breaker with disrespect. I think people who do not go to college are more normal. College is where we learn the devil was made by the Romans in replacement of Hades/God of war.

We make laws that also divides families. I do not want to go far back as slavery so I will start with age of consent. By allowing women to run wild and think they are men we have created an spinster problem in the USA. Church girls from days past are now womanist-mongers with man hating vaginas. We have further allowed the problem with non-heterosexuals mixing in with feminist and disarming our men with the ability to provide and defend themselves in the law.

It think the bigger problem is with 2001 where many people took advantage of the law and made a bunch of new anti-privacy laws. The ACLU/ALCU have been fighting for internet freedoms for a long time but with the 2004 outbreak of non-heterosexuals in the ranks of Catholic Churches and the Americas Most Wanted Son Killer being magically ( I say magically because we all know it is a patsy ) being found. We now waged war on people who have relationships with an age difference. Now everybody is an hoarish spinster in the USA.

As with Jerry Seinfeld remark about his daughter bringing up topics she has no idea about to Hollywood Hulk with his personal feelings about his daughter with an black man. It is very clear that the nation is devaluing it's internet privacy and calling the LITTLE WORDS THAT DO NOT HURT LIKE I AM TYPING RIGHT NOW to be more real then you or me.

If you ever read that chick book about how the teacher is a witch and the future of taddle telling you would understand.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:21 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
True. This is why patriarchal families put very much so different values into children. Instead of grandparents stowed into SNFs, they are in the family. So from the very beginning, children absorb the value of their parents taking care of their parents. As child is tabula rasa - you can write it with anything you want to - or nothing at all. Nothing writes it better though, than observed example in the family.
And because the country was brainwashed into " to become so self absorbed, you must devalue others" you get what you deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy