Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes, how did you come to be so emotionally immature and completely uniformed about the world we live in?
I see. You are an example of mature and informed Life? Is that it? Do you credit yourself or some non-living DNA that for some reason made you feel this way? Is it real or simply a silly chemical reaction? Maybe your chemical reactions have gone awry and I am the smart and mature one. Consider the possibility that you are just a bad chemical reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Fine. I'm am saying that my philosophical notion is that the Schrodinger equation is simply describing the manner in which Intellect evolves. Like it or not, that is my notion.

1) Any interpretation of the Schrodinger equation is strictly philosophical. Science has nothing to say beyond the equation itself

2) Any scientific obfuscation about evolving organism, DNA, chemicals or such is exactly that, obfuscation. There is one and only one " thingamajig" evolving and that is quanta.

Now somehow you have to insert life in there somehow unless life is an "illusion". Where is that Life coming from. I'm saying the Elan Vital or Creative Intelligence is fundamental. If it is not fundamental, then you have to pull it out of a hat somewhere. Exactly which hat are you going to pull it out of? Our scientific friend considers DNA non-living making us all dead and Life simply an illusion created by dead DNA. Care to share that same opinion?
1) We are not past "Schrodinger equation", we are at it. It has components working together. Even if they are various forms of quanta, which they are actually, it is emerging intellect, not fundamental. But if we are past it the answer is we don't know. We say "Probability pure energy" which nobody even knows what that stuff is or means.

conclusion: so the claim "Schrodinger equation" shows this quanta intellect being fundamental is not the best conclusion with the data we have to base a philosophy on.

2) maybe. But it is not intentional. We just are not allowed to make sit up like philosophers. In the end we can't ignore that we are the way we are because of the fundamental nature of the universe. And we don't know what that is yet. But it doesn't imply that "intellect" is fundamental. everything we know points to it being emergent.

You making it fundamental makes it a nice packet for you. I get that. I call them mental strings.

3) I kind of agree with you again with life. The monist view has real merit in the science world. Boundaries and objects become fuzzy. It is looking like there really is no boundaries as much as there is energy densities, field densities, or whatever density. So the distinction between life on non life really does get blurred. The implications and/or predictions are becoming simple; isn't it?

I totally agree with your "no more single life", but rather we are a series of events. Again, what predictions can be made from that understanding. REMEMBER, that is a seprerate issue tho.

You are going to have to get specific with this "dead" DNA. given I understand that DNA has things that make it up at a deeper level than atoms...

if its not dead, what is it? then where does "dead end" and "life start"?

Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
1) But it doesn't imply that "intellect" is fundamental. everything we know points to it being emergent.
What evidence is there?? There has never been a single observation of intellect emerging from quanta. This is more of a desire by those who wish to maintain a materialistic outlook thus magically pulling intellect out of a non-intellectual quanta. Of greater interest though is how is that your quanta thinks that it's intellect emerges out of it while my quanta believes that its intellect IS quanta. More mysteries of quanta.

Quote:
3) I kind of agree with you again with life. The monist view has real merit in the science world. Boundaries and objects become fuzzy. It is looking like there really is no boundaries as much as there is energy densities, field densities, or whatever density. So the distinction between life on non life really does get blurred. The implications and/or predictions are becoming simple; isn't it?
Intellect creates material but creating greater and greater energetic density by spiraling in on itself. Everything is a spiral. The Daoists had this one figured out thousands of years ago.

The spark of this whole process, the impetus, the beginning, is Creative Intelligence.

Quote:
You are going to have to get specific with this "dead" DNA. given I understand that DNA has things that make it up at a deeper level than atoms...

if its not dead, what is it? then where does "dead end" and "life start"?
Exactly. For the answer to this question we must turn to our scientist friends who by some alchemy are able to turn the non-living into the living. I personally have no idea how they do it.

The key to life is the ability to organize against entropy. The self-organization capability is Creative Intelligence. Everything else emerges from it, just as a child's curiosity builds castles out of sand.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I cant comprehend either of these...

I was born and raised Christian/catholic...yes 12 years of catholic school
and I still go on occasion so my daughter will have the same foundation I had

But I cant comprehend what happens after death...
heaven...ghost...hell...nothingness

I seem to lean towards nothingness...no consciousness or awareness...once the human brain dies and all those connections lost, YOU are gone...of course its hard to imagine this...

what do you think about the afterlife...
The YOU that is the current YOU will not exist, since that body and brain will not exist. But physics tells us (if I recall correctly) that everything in the universe has energy. That includes you. So when you die, your energy goes somewhere. Energy doesn't die in the universe. The same amount of energy is constant. It just transfers from one form to another.

You burn a piece of paper. The paper no longer exists. But the energy that was contained in the paper becomes ash. You blow the ash into the air, and it floats through the air and lands on the earth. It then becomes part of the soil and is recycled. The paper's energy has become different kinds of energy. But the paper itself, in that form, no longer exists.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Matadora asks...
Quote:
Yes, how did you come to be so emotionally immature and completely uniformed about the world we live in?

Quote:
I see. You are an example of mature and informed Life? Is that it? Do you credit yourself or some non-living DNA that for some reason made you feel this way? Is it real or simply a silly chemical reaction? Maybe your chemical reactions have gone awry and I am the smart and mature one. Consider the possibility that you are just a bad chemical reaction.
Thank you for proving my point.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:31 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Can you have self-awareness when there is no more self?
Sure, if thought can exist independent of a body.
Water filled gas processing meat bags are fun - for awhile.
Then it's time to move on.

One of my favorite travel guides - Robert Monroe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Monroe
“According to his own account, while experimenting with sleep-learning in 1958 Monroe experienced an unusual phenomenon, which he described as sensations of paralysis and vibration accompanied by a bright light that appeared to be shining on him from a shallow angle. Monroe went on to say that this occurred another nine times over the next six weeks, culminating in his first out-of-body experience (OBE). Monroe recorded his account in his 1971 book Journeys Out of the Body and went on to become a prominent researcher in the field of human consciousness. Monroe later authored two more books on his experiments with OBE, Far Journeys (1985) and Ultimate Journey (1994). Out of body experience is akin to astral projection, although it may or may not involve that.”
. . . .
MY TAKE ON IT
I found Mr. Monroe’s story to have more credence since he spent some effort at discovering how it worked, and had measurements of his brain waves. In the course of research, built up a menu or sequence of frequencies during his “out of the body” jaunts. Unfortunately, the brain wave frequencies were below audible threshold. He developed a patented method of heterodyning two frequencies to induce a subsonic wave into the brain. (HemiSync)

Having used some of those HemiSync audio tracks, I was pleasantly impressed.

WHY INCARNATE?
(Why entrap spirit into water filled gas processing meat bags?)
  • To learn.
  • Experience opposites and polarities.
  • Experience pain and pleasure.
  • To manipulate energy.
  • To learn and acquire intellect (analytical ability).
  • To experiment outside of instantaneous thought manifestation.
- - - - -
“Your destination in the heaven or hell of Locale II seems to be grounded completely within the framework of your deepest constant (and perhaps non-conscious) motivations, emotions, and personality drives. The most consistent and strongest of these act as your "homing" device when you enter this realm. I am sure of this because it always works this way when I have traveled non-physically in Locale II. It works this way whether I want it to or not. The least stray desire at the wrong time, or a deep-seated emotion I wasn't aware of, diverts my trip in that 'like’ direction.”
- - - Robert Monroe, Journeys out of the Body

Old 08-18-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Can you have self-awareness when there is no more self?
Sure, if thought can exist independent of a body.
Water filled gas processing meat bags are fun - for awhile.
Then it's time to move on.

One of my favorite travel guides - Robert Monroe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Monroe
“According to his own account, while experimenting with sleep-learning in 1958 Monroe experienced an unusual phenomenon, which he described as sensations of paralysis and vibration accompanied by a bright light that appeared to be shining on him from a shallow angle. Monroe went on to say that this occurred another nine times over the next six weeks, culminating in his first out-of-body experience (OBE). Monroe recorded his account in his 1971 book Journeys Out of the Body and went on to become a prominent researcher in the field of human consciousness. Monroe later authored two more books on his experiments with OBE, Far Journeys (1985) and Ultimate Journey (1994). Out of body experience is akin to astral projection, although it may or may not involve that.”
. . . .
MY TAKE ON IT
I found Mr. Monroe’s story to have more credence since he spent some effort at discovering how it worked, and had measurements of his brain waves. In the course of research, built up a menu or sequence of frequencies during his “out of the body” jaunts. Unfortunately, the brain wave frequencies were below audible threshold. He developed a patented method of heterodyning two frequencies to induce a subsonic wave into the brain. (HemiSync)

Having used some of those HemiSync audio tracks, I was pleasantly impressed.

WHY INCARNATE?
(Why entrap spirit into water filled gas processing meat bags?)
  • To learn.
  • Experience opposites and polarities.
  • Experience pain and pleasure.
  • To manipulate energy.
  • To learn and acquire intellect (analytical ability).
  • To experiment outside of instantaneous thought manifestation.
- - - - -
“Your destination in the heaven or hell of Locale II seems to be grounded completely within the framework of your deepest constant (and perhaps non-conscious) motivations, emotions, and personality drives. The most consistent and strongest of these act as your "homing" device when you enter this realm. I am sure of this because it always works this way when I have traveled non-physically in Locale II. It works this way whether I want it to or not. The least stray desire at the wrong time, or a deep-seated emotion I wasn't aware of, diverts my trip in that 'like’ direction.”
- - - Robert Monroe, Journeys out of the Body
While a bit more literary than the way that I would put it, I would agree with the essentials, I.e. 1) we exist to witness and create and 2) our emotions guide us.

And through this process we all evolve.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Matadora asks...

Thank you for proving my point.
More brilliant scientific thought. Between patting yourself on your back and spinning your yarn about chemical reactions talking to each other, when do you have enough time to raise funds for your "research"?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
More brilliant scientific thought. Between patting yourself on your back and spinning your yarn about chemical reactions talking to each other, when do you have enough time to raise funds for your "research"?
More nonsensical rants.

Why not spend all this wasted energy here on CD and go find out about the world we live in.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:46 AM

My suggestion is go back to your lab and keep working on your Life potion. I think you are really on to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy