Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 04:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
When it comes to understanding of burden of proof you are on a very shaky ground, to say the least.
No, I'm not.

All I've said is that any claim that is made must bear the burden of proof -- whether that claim is "God exists" or "God doesn't exist."

Quote:
Any argument is bad until shown to be good.
I agree.

And the claim, "God does not exist" has not been proven, and therefore has not been "shown to be good."

Quote:
You are butchering logic.
Sorry.

I am well educated in logic, and I am not the one who is butchering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since man created many, many gods, I'd have to say we most certainly are 'godlike'
I've no doubt you would agree with that in all cases except you want one exception made for whatever the god is that you currently espouse a belief in.
Man made his opinions about God, just as he made his opinions about mathematics, the weather, and so on.

Opinions about something are not the same thing as the thing about which we have opinions.

Incidentally, I have not espoused any belief about God in my posts...

Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 AM

380 posts, read 201,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Some atheists, at least, positively believe that God does not exist.
Then, in a nut shell, they are not atheists. They are anti theists.

Quote:
An agnostic, on the other hand, is someone who simply says he doesn't know.
So I suspect a lot of "atheists" here are really agnostics.
Don't you understand that atheist and agnostic is not an "either / or"?
Don't you understand that it is practically always both at the same time for the same person?
I am an atheist and an agnostic. I don't believe and I don't know.

If you claim - God exists - I don't believe. I am an atheist.
If you ask - Does God exist? - I don't know. I am an agnostic.

What is there for you to "suspect"?

Quote:
Do you have a shred of evidence that God doesn't exist?
Have I ever made this claim of knowledge? Quote, please.
Or maybe in your head "I don't believe God exists" and "God does not exist" is the same thing?
Is it?

Quote:
All you're really saying is that you don't want him to exist (for whatever reason); that's not the same thing as knowing that he doesn't.
All I'm really saying is this:

"Mister theist. You claim god exists. I don't believe you and will continue to live my life as there is no god.
I will believe you though a will gladly change the way I live when

Either you will back up your claim with solid evidence

Or you will falsify a null hypothesis I have just created for you - God does not exists.

Please note, Mr. theist, "God does not exists" is not my claim of knowledge. It is simply a null hypothesis
you must falsify to prove your claim about god's existence."

That's what I'm really saying. Do you have a problem with that?

Quote:
A belief is only irrational IF you can show that whatever it is that is believed absolutely is not the case
This is completely and utterly wrong. You are butchering logic in some medieval way!

Quote:
Speaking of "making," did human beings make themselves? No. Nature made them? But what made nature? And why?
Why nature would need to be made?

Quote:
When we have all the answers to those questions, then I think we can reasonably judge whether or not God exists.
What is your justification for such a bizarre condition? I see no reason for it what so ever.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Do you know any thing about the CERN project ?
Why invest so much money into something if you don't believe in God or the spirit realm ?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 AM

380 posts, read 201,436 times
I'm sorry, I'm missing a connection over here.
What does nuclear research have to do with a spirit realm?

Old 08-29-2015, 02:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Your silly name-calling, insults, and staggering ignorance and arrogance are not even worth responding to.
I'll take that as you are not able to respond with anything intelligent, logical or worthy of discussion.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
What us humans with our direly limited intelligence call "god" or "God" or whatever - an invisible universal force which can be harnessed (prayer) but yet to be discovered.

You know, like magnets used to be.

And gravity.

Electricity

etc...

Old 08-29-2015, 09:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
What us humans with our direly limited intelligence call "god" or "God" or whatever - an invisible universal force which can be harnessed (prayer) but yet to be discovered.

You know, like magnets used to be.
And gravity.
Electricity
etc...
You are in danger of a fallacy of conflation, i.e. a conflation of perspectives.

There are two main perspectives in consideration here;
1. The Empirical
2. The Transcendental - metaphysics, i.e. beyond and independent of the empirical.

Whatever is 'empirical' is verifiable, falsifiable, testable, and justifiable by empirical methods.
Germs, viruses, gravity, electricity, energy, physical forces, mental forces, quarks, other invisible empirical things, and the likes belong specifically to the "empirical" because they are empirically testable and verifiable.

Whatever is fully verifiable is empirically real.
Whatever that is speculated in considered 'empirically possible' as long as they are conditioned by empirical properties.
Human-like aliens existing billions of light years away out there in space is a possibility [albeit very low] as long at all their properties are empirical.

Empirical God?
If any one were to claim 'God' is an empirical Being out there [like what they used to claim God as a man with a beard up there], then it is empirically possible [albeit very low]. But an empirical 'God' is limited and cannot be THE ABSOLUTE GOD, which is Perfect with all relevant Absolute properties.

Transcendental Absolute God
The ABSOLUTE GOD that people look up to as a savior is the 'supreme-most of the supremes' and the greatest in every which way. The best definition being the ontological, i.e.
God is a Being than which no greater can be conceived -St Anselm and others.
This Perfect Omni-whatever God can never be empirical.
Such a God can only be deliberated within the Transcendental-Metaphysical perspective.
Whilst such a Transcendental God can be conceived [thought of] it is an impossibility [like a square-circle].

Because God per-se is transcendental, it is not rational to conflate it with the empirical. Note the logical fallacy of conflation and equivocation.

Therefore it a deception [innocent or rhetorical] or false to equivocate gravity, electricity and other empirical [oil] invisibles with a transcendental [water] God.

Nevertheless a transcendental God [can never be real but merely thought] can be brought to thought and it can serve as very critical psychological balm to deal with existential angst, despairs, anxieties, and all its related psychological manifestations. This psychology is what is really going on with the majority, i.e. 80% of people on Earth.

Because the transcendental idea of a 'God' is merely for personal psychology to deal with existential angst, such an idea should never be translated to 'Laws' of any sort that impinge in the basic human dignity of other individuals [Islam & Sharia, etc.] nor hinder the progress of human knowledge [Creationism, etc.].

The only effective solution to the evils and violence arising directly from theism is to soften its proximate roots and ground, to demonstrate it is '100% Certainty God do not exists.'
Thus if follows, since God is fictitious there is no grounds to kill other humans beings in God's name.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I'll take that as you are not able to respond with anything intelligent, logical or worthy of discussion.
Nope.

You're just repeating yourself, not responding to my points, putting words in my mouth, and engaging in name-calling.

That gets boring to deal with.

But I'll respond below, since you seem to insist on it.

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-30-2015 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
it's you that does not read very well...Pay attention if you really want to understand what I am posting....Pretty lame that you can't even answer a simple question...You need to brush up on your bible history...Are you so gullible...WAKE UP! ...Clueless human is what you are....Very clueless....It's people like you that gives religion a bad reputation.......You don't read very well do you?...You just have a chip on your shoulder because you don't like my opinion....Too bad so sad....Again you don't read worth a darn....you really need to brush up on history...I think you bible thumpers...
I'm dispensing with the charming parts first.

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-30-2015 at 06:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy