U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 AM

10,829 posts, read 4,140,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I have responded of every single one of your points.
Wrong.

Are you still claiming that the entire Bible was written in the Iron Age?

Quote:
I stated a very obvious fact that ever since religion evolved there has not been much improvement observed in the behaviors of humans worldwide in the name of religion.
So what?

Humans don't behave well in any case.

Quote:
Then you try to dispel this ugly truth by stating that I should go and ask children with cancer who go to hospitals with money funded by churches or ask people who receive help from Catholic Charities.

Your answer clearly failed to address the point I made. Churches or any other non-religious persons or entities that helps people had NOTHING to do with my point.
Wrong.

To listen to you talk, religions are pure evil.

I pointed out some good things they have done -- and you still can't deal with that.

I guess haters are gonna hate.

Quote:
We have not seen much improvement at all in human behavior since the evolution of religion.
And your evidence that things would have been just hunky-dory without religion?

I've already pointed out atheistic societies that have murdered tens of millions of people.

Quote:
Here again you are showing narrow minded perspectives. Do you realize how many people have been killed in the name of Christ, Christianity and Catholicism? Until the fall of Akkon 1291, roughly 20 million victims.
Communist Russia, Communist China and Communist Cambodia -- all atheistic societies -- killed many, many more than that.

About 70 million people.

And they did it in a much shorter period of time.

Quote:
You fail again to make a valid point. Wars are carried out by humans regardless of their religious affiliations.
Uh, that WAS my point.

Quote:
No actually the Bible plays the race game. The Bible in both the Old Testament and the New Testament doesn't recognize slaves as human beings.
The Jews were slaves of the Egyptians.

The story of their liberation is a key part of the Old Testament.

And you're saying that the Old Testament doesn't regard the "Chosen People" as human beings?

Really?

As for "racism," in Biblical times, the great majority of slaves were the same race as their masters.

Black Africans had black African slaves.

Asians had Asian slaves.

South American Indians had South American Indian slaves.

And so on.

Slavery was universally practiced -- by Pagans and by the religious alike -- and it had nothing to do with race OR religion.

Quote:
The Bible also in both the Old and the New Testaments encourages slavery and enslaving people.
So the Old Testament disapproved of Jewish slaves being freed from Egypt?

Don't think so.

Quote:
I find it interesting and not a little ironic that simply questioning some Christian supporter brings about storm of abuse on the questioner.
What abuse?

Virtually all the name-calling here has been done by you.

I even posted a digest of it above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
Why don't deistic gods ever get mentioned in this threads?
They don't fit into the "religion is evil and ignorant" narrative that some here like to promote

Old 08-31-2015, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
What about those deistic gods? What is so special about them?
Why don't you look into it?

I thought you had investigated all of this stuff already.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
What exactly in the link can you not take seriously?

Perhaps you could define what you mean by deistic gods?
Dictionaries -- they're your friend.

Start there.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 AM

380 posts, read 161,382 times
@dechatelet

OK. Let's re-cap.

Post 192.

Quote:
hutennis Have I ever made this claim of knowledge ((God does not exists)?
dechatelet Nope
hutennis That's what I'm really saying. Do you have a problem with that?
dechatelet Nope
hutennis What is your justification for such a bizarre condition? I see no reason for it what so ever.
dechatelet That's fine.
Post 200.

Quote:
hutennis As soon as this straw man is exposed they have nothing more to say except "Nope", "Nope", That's fine"
dechatelet Brilliant. You don't address a single thing I said.
Who would say something and then on the same page it was said would deny ever saying that?
1. Someone who is fool.
2. Someone who is intellectually dishonest.

Post 192.

Quote:
hutennis Have I ever made this claim of knowledge (God does not exists)?
dechatelet Did I ever say you had?

Post 200

Quote:
dechatelet all beliefs are irrational -- including your unproven belief that God does not exist.
Who could be so blatantly inconsistent?
1. Someone who is fool.

One more.

Post 200

Quote:
hutennis Either creates itself, or is created"is not ... "either / or".
dechatelet Logical statements are "if-then" statements that have no direct bearing on the empirically-experienced world or with belief.
Who, while discussing "either / or", would bring about "if-then" as "if-then" is what is being discussed?
1. Someone who is fool.

Well, it became painfully obvious, that you are either fool or intellectually dishonest.
As a matter of common sense I don't argue neither with fools nor with intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by hutennis; 08-31-2015 at 05:35 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
@dechatelet

OK. Let's re-cap.

hutennis Have I ever made this claim of knowledge ((God does not exists)
dechatelet
Huh?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:32 AM

380 posts, read 161,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Huh?
I would read the whole post.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 PM

176 posts, read 126,511 times
Quote:
What exactly in the link can you not take seriously?

Perhaps you could define what you mean by deistic gods?
I can't take the left wing equivalent to "Conservapedia" seriously.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:34 PM

11,038 posts, read 4,774,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
I can't take the left wing equivalent to "Conservapedia" seriously.
Can you tell us your definition of deists gods so we can have a discussion?

Old 08-31-2015, 01:55 PM

11,038 posts, read 4,774,838 times
Quote:
Are you still claiming that the entire Bible was written in the Iron Age?
It's a fact not a claim.
Quote:
Humans don't behave well in any case.
Bingo! That's the point...religion is a failed institution. Look at your own behavior...a person who beats loudly on the drum supporting religion.
Quote:
To listen to you talk, religions are pure evil.

I pointed out some good things they have done -- and you still can't deal with that.

I guess haters are gonna hate.
Wrong on every thing stated.

The only one hating is you.
Quote:
And your evidence that things would have been just hunky-dory without religion?
When you take an uncivilized population and try to control them with religion you can clearly see it's a failure. Instead of early man inventing religion to control the masses a much better system should have been invented. Even a system of spirituality (no religion) would have lead to a much better outcome.

Your narrow perspectives will never understand this.

Quote:
I've already pointed out atheistic societies that have murdered tens of millions of people.
Communist Russia, Communist China and Communist Cambodia -- all atheistic societies -- killed many, many more than that.
Odd how you missed World War II fatality estimates of total dead ranging from 50 million to more than 80 million.

You again fail to make a valid point. Wars are carried out by humans regardless of their religious affiliations.
Quote:
Uh, that WAS my point.
Right I suppose that is why you mentioned "atheistic societies". You can't even follow what you post.

Quote:
As for "racism," in Biblical times, the great majority of slaves were the same race as their master.
Since European artists and Bible commentators painted and described all biblical characters, including God, as white. This had the effect of excluding blacks from being a part of Scripture.

These are some of the difficulties of trying to determine if people in the Bible are what today we consider black. It is therefore irresponsible to draw superficial conclusions against a black presence in the Scriptures. But this did not stop scholars and theologians (who surely should have known better) from suggesting that all people in the Bible were white, and that the Bible record excludes the Asian and "Negro" races, a conclusion that is not true.

But suppose it were true? What difference would that make?

The Bible in both the Old Testament and the New Testament doesn't recognize slaves as human beings.

The Bible also in both the Old and the New Testaments encourages slavery and enslaving people. It doesn't encourage nor command Christians to fight for others' rights and to liberate them from slavery.

Quote:
What abuse?
Your attacks based on utter ignorance. Your inability to engage in intelligent discussions without blaring your emotions.

You are a drain in this thread due to your lack of forum skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy