U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,568,284 times

Advertisements

The Spectrum of Theistic Probability
Popularized by Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion, the spectrum of theistic probability is a way of categorizing one's belief regarding the probability of the existence of a deity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectr...ic_probability

Whist the above is practiced, I do not agree with its wobbling stance.

I believe to be 'not-a-theist' [my preference] or atheist, one need to have a basis to be 100% certain God does not exist. Otherwise one's view leave cracks to be destroyed by theists or at least they know the atheist is not confidence of his/her stance.

I proposed the following;

1. Develop a conceptual framework to establish 100% certainty God does not exists supported by sound arguments and addition supporting philosophical justifications. The conclusion is stated with absolute certainty within this framework. This will leave no room for any theist to argue their case.
The mainstay of this framework is from Kant's philosophy.

2. The fact is there is no certainty in reality - re Wittgenstein and others.
The framework of 100% no God is a subset of reality.
Since there is no absolute certainty in reality we will make a provision for a certain of up to 99.999..9%.

What we have is thus;

99.99..9% certainty of [100% certainty God does not exist in a real world]

What we have is a subset of 100% certainty within a common main set of reality with 99.99..9% certainty.
Note all are fallible humans, thus there is no way theists can claim with absolute certainty God exists. In this case, there is no room for theists to get into any cracks. At best what the theist can have is

99.99..9% certainty of [100% certainty God exists in a real world]
which is an impossibility as the most theist can get 'God exists' in a real is based on faith.

Agree with the push for a 100% certainty claim 'God does not exist in a real world' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:51 AM

13,044 posts, read 4,893,343 times
"we have the real truth because we are 100%correct". oopps I mean 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999999999999999999999
Haven't heard this before.

Forget the joke .... what god are you talking about?

Old 08-21-2015, 05:56 AM

380 posts, read 161,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I believe to be 'not-a-theist' [my preference] or atheist, one need to have a basis to be 100% certain God does not exist.
Wrong. Atheist does not need to be 100% certain God does not exist.
Atheist does not have any opinion on actual probability of God's existence.
This consideration is simply not a part of atheistic position.
Atheist simply does not believe theistic claim. That's it.
Nothing more. Nothing less.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,160,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
Wrong. Atheist does not need to be 100% certain God does not exist.
Atheist does not have any opinion on actual probability of God's existence.
This consideration is simply not a part of atheistic position.
Atheist simply does not believe theistic claim. That's it.
Nothing more. Nothing less.
This.^

Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM

5,464 posts, read 2,487,127 times
By definition God is outside the purview of science and probably epistemology generally, so there can't be 100% certainty about the existence or non existence of God. Atheism is forced to believe in the non-existence of God just as those who believe must do so through faith.

It seems the best we can do is weigh the truth of those who claim to be connected with God (ie: Jesus). You either believe him or you don't.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:08 PM

15,690 posts, read 26,659,739 times
If God does not exist then why does it matter to you? It would seem that you are trying to find out if God does or does not in fact exist and I would love to figure out why that is.

The existence of God would change what in your life? Would you live better? Would you stop doing something that you know you should stop doing? I want to know why you are trying so hard to prove that their is no God.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Atheism is forced to believe in the non-existence of God just as those who believe must do so through faith.
It baffles me when time after time, no matter how many times their mistake is pointed out to them, people continue to make statements like this.

Again, one more time.

Atheism is not forced to believe in the non-existence of God.
This is wrong!!!
Atheism is not forced to anything and is not a believing in anything.

Atheism is LACK OF BELIEVE, DISBELIEVING in theistic claim that God exists.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I want to know why you are trying so hard to prove that their is no God.
Who is?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:43 PM

5,559 posts, read 3,661,061 times
I believe there is no God.

I don't believe there is a God.

All a matter of seconds semantical taste, but it is disingenuous to say that a disbelief is not a belief in itself.

Do you believe there is no God?
No! I don't believe there is a God!
Huh? Are you trying to be cute or something?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:48 PM

13,044 posts, read 4,893,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
It baffles me when time after time, no matter how many times their mistake is pointed out to them, people continue to make statements like this.

Again, one more time.

Atheism is not forced to believe in the non-existence of God.
This is wrong!!!
Atheism is not forced to anything and is not a believing in anything.

Atheism is LACK OF BELIEVE, DISBELIEVING in theistic claim that God exists.

Why is that so hard to understand?
because you are assuming a level playing field. It aint.

to you and me it is just a lack of belief in what they claim. However, if someone is claiming everything that hints of a god to them is "not true" then atheism begins to take on other forms. In essence, no matter what one claims, there will be sects to atheism like there is in any other statement of belief. These sects will range from fundamental personality's to apathetic types expressing their view of what atheism is.

just like we have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy