Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

I do not blame God for man's destructive tendencies, and the result of man's rebellion, deformities, and death, is not God's doing but man's.
Because God gave you a free will, does not fault God for doing so .
Love does not come from a robot something programmed to provide a prescribed response.
Love must come from knowing the difference and choosing .
I love God because I am allowed to cooperate with Him, and He with me.
When I was dishonest God was not obligated to listen to any thing I had to say simply because my word was worthless.
I had to change and I needed God's help to do so , But I had to change so that God could take me seriously.
When I earned the value of this transparency before God and His awareness of me 24/7/365 inside and out ,that fact helped me immensely . It might terrify some of you that resent cameras on you where ever you go.
Jesus both spoke and demonstrated this feature of God to His disciples.
This is why dishonest people, with selfish motives, do not receive any thing from God at all.
It is not meditation or knowledge or luck but honest humble desperation , often time the equivalent effort one had invested the wrong direction.
This is not a band aid to get over a cut and go back to doing the things of rebellion ,
This is a change of lifestyle to desperately seek after God's approval and learning to listen to Him, and discover His love for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
there are hundreds, if not thousands, of religions and gods. How do you know you have chosen wisely?
99% of the populace don't choose religion, they are born into a religion.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
there are hundreds, if not thousands, of religions and gods. How do you know you have chosen wisely?
Because once a week me and a bunch of other folks get dressed up & meet in a big building and give money to some guy who assures us that we've all done so.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
There are many people that are "religious" that don't literally believe theirs is necessarily "right". They belong because of spiritual fulfillment while acknowledging other religions may be equally fulfilling to other people. Churches are a community and often connect people through rituals and activities who would otherwise be alone. I don't have a problem with that type of religious person.

It's only the shrinking minority of religious people who have a childlike outlook on life and belief they are "right" and everyone must submit to their beliefs no matter what that I have issues with.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I don't believe there is one right religion that humanity knows, nor do I think it'd be desirable to find one. Mine has both philosophical and supernatural components. I can't prove the latter, but they are no less plausible than any other supernatural belief unsupported by any objective science. The former appeal to me because they square with my sense of fundamental rightness in human conduct, which means that when I am conflicted, there is a reasonable possibility my religion can suggest a wise path to me.
Man is a hybrid. In the 3 main western religions, man is a hybrid of superbeing and a terrestrial mammal of the Earth whose final DNA is a bastardization of two distinct entities and created as such by a superbeing, manifesting as a kind of chimera, a mixed breed. As to what exactly is this superbeing, everyone has their own definition. Some believe that it's a race of superior aliens, some believe it's an all omnipotent force, called God.

This is found in the Koran, Torah and Bible via the garden of Eden and the tree of knowledge when man eats the fruit and is transformed and is eternally conflicted by his superbeing conscience and his instinctual mammalian ways of survival. This is also mirrored in Eastern religion.

Humans are forever pulled back and forth from one side to the other and man acts upon it in a spectrum from war to peace/order and to empathy. Humans are the only organism on Earth who are capable of such as we are essentially a "mutt" existence. Our DNA of knowledge via the fruit of eternity and the superbeing, yet conscious of our eventual terminal Earthian existence that will be the fate of every other animal and plant on Earth.

This is the religious struggle of man.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 AM

140 posts, read 188,974 times
What a ridiculous question this thread poses. My religion is the one true one because it tells me it is. Of course. Duh.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:52 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Because it's the one that I think makes sense
I respect other people's freedom to have a different religion and hope everybody goes to heaven.

I don't hate people (goes against Christianity) because they think different than I do

Old 09-01-2015, 01:01 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I don't have a religion, I have a relationship with Jesus.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:05 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
I can only speak for myself. Though I do not have a religion. I have faith, but not in religious sense.
OP, because it took me many many years of researching and every time I had doubt. But then, one night, I found what simply felt so true, so right, that yes, I am with it. It's that deep inside of me undoubtful conviction that what I found is TRUE and RIGHT. This is what made me choose and stay with it. Only one that has same conviction will know, what I am talking about.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Most of them are pretty similar if you look at them with a wide angle lens. It's when you get into details that they differ and then folks squabble over the details excessively, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy