Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Every religious person thinks they have the only "right" religion. They're bible is the right one also. Religion is a BUSINESS. These scavengers should pay taxes like anyone else. Their objective is to get as much money from you as possible. You can't believe or trust most of these pious people....
I'm wiccan. For ME I have found the right faith. But I view them all as having some inner truth. Whatever religion/faith you find works for you, fufills your spiritual needs and offers comfort/belonging is the right one for you. I have no problem with there being multiple ones. Each has something which satisfies a need inside humanity.

I also believe that if you find no faith your belief, its your right choice.

What I don't approve of is one faith claiming to be the end all true faith for everyone and worse that they are 'wrong'. They don't get to do that. Serve your own. Connect them with something/someone higher and let others do it in their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:57 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
99% of the populace don't choose religion, they are born into a religion.
Which is technically being forced.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
I feel like spaghetti bolognese

Old 09-03-2015, 11:15 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
99% of the populace don't choose religion, they are born into a religion.
I agree and then my question would be, why don't any of those people ever question whether the religion they were born into is the one true one? Doesn't the thought even cross their minds?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I agree and then my question would be, why don't any of those people ever question whether the religion they were born into is the one true one? Doesn't the thought even cross their minds?
I can't believe how some people think myself. I always start off with "what if I am wrong." So when I am in a debate I always keep in the back of my mind:

I am could right and they could be wrong
I could be wrong and they could be right
I could be right and they could be right
I am wrong and so are they.

but then again that's thinking logically. Many people have emotional needs they need supported so the idea that facts don't support that need is meaningless to to them. The facts are put in "I don't need them" box. Like the belief statement that there is "no god, gods, or any higher order of life". Everything you tell them will be rendered meaningless to keep the safety of their world view in tact. I see this in ex- religious fundies type people and religious fundies.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Some do, but the vast majority don't. It has something to do with the brainwashing of a young mind. Some are able to question it and be critical.. usually happens after the kid goes to college and takes a few philosophy courses

Old 09-04-2015, 06:26 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
It's essentially beaten in to their head not to question, further so by the preachers, thus helping lead in to the "my religion is the one, and only true religion." That's why you have those people that have no respect for other religions, and especially for christians or similar faiths, that thinks everything has to do with their belief system. Some should read up om the Byzantind empire, and the main reason for spreading christianity, was pretty much a political move, the ruler was actually pagan, but the masses liked the idea. Christianity is a take over religion, like catholicism, and the bible reflects that if you pay attention to it.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:15 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Everything you tell them will be rendered meaningless to keep the safety of their world view in tact. I see this in ex- religious fundies type people and religious fundies.
Trust me, you don't have to be a fundamentalist to have this mind set. Look at the number of control freaks out there, the ones who have to have control of everyone just to feel safe in the world. My dad was one of those and he wasn't at all religious.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If I were a faithful person, I hope I'd answer the question by saying "Because it works for me, and I have seen no evidence nor logic compelling enough to persuade me to change my faith."

Old 09-06-2015, 03:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
The question should read, what makes you think your religion works FOR YOU

I'm wiccan/pagan. I knew when I found it that it was the one. I'm not saying it should be the one for everyone. I see religion as representing energies and one is right for you if any are. But it doesn't mean its better or more right. Or, none are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy