Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:29 AM

167 posts, read 167,883 times

Advertisements

there are hundreds, if not thousands, of religions and gods. How do you know you have chosen wisely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
People believe their religion is true because they've "drunk the coolaid" and have personally invested themselves into it. Denying one's religion means denying oneself to some extent... so they desperately cling to it with all they've got.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:04 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
It's a clear indication that most don't question their indoctrination or are not open minded enough to study world religions.

It also depends on a persons desperation to find answers, hope or healing. You can believe in almost anything when you are desperation mode.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times

Old 08-31-2015, 02:13 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
Religion is a platform for philosophy, and mine is the correct one because it's the one most pragmatically beneficial to me.
That's a good reason. Automatically dismissing other people's religions as being stupid, ridiculous, or outlandish while assuming yours is the absolute truth just because it's your belief system is illogical. Choosing your religion as the one which is most beneficial for you because if helps you trudge the Road to Happy Destiny a little easier, while accepting that others may choose differently, is more sensible.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's a good reason. Automatically dismissing other people's religions as being stupid, ridiculous, or outlandish while assuming yours is the absolute truth just because it's your belief system is illogical. Choosing your religion as the one which is most beneficial for you because if helps you trudge the Road to Happy Destiny a little easier, while accepting that others may choose differently, is more sensible.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
There's no pragmatic benefit in questioning ones beliefs unless said beliefs are causing some type of pragmatic harm.
Sure there is a benefit...it gives you clear insight as to what you are dealing with.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
My success rate looke at my social security wage print out after I joined the church

Old 08-31-2015, 02:24 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
I know my religion is right because..
if my child is born with a horrible disease and only lives for 7 days in a pain you can't even begin to imagine only to have all his organs fail and eventually die, he should have to spend all of eternity in hell for original sin because we didn't get the chance to have an old man sprinkle magic water on his head before he died.

To say everything happens for a reason is one of the most selfish thing's I've ever heard. You're assuming everything happens for a reason and you are the center of the universe. What about the poor people it happens to. That little baby, that is now spending all of eternity in hell.. please explain their reason.. and don't say "there can't be joy without suffering blah blah blah" I'm saying that child, explain to them that there was a reason for 7 days of painful life and now all of time spent in hell.

Religion spreads hate, war and money waaaaaaaaay more than it spreads love, help and understanding.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:52 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
Spirituality, in itself can not be true or false. It is bounded on belief or a somewhat more sense of faith. A personal belief is just that.

What creates havoc, is a more dogmatic, organized beliefs and faiths that often (but not always) characterize religious institutions, which eventually morph into money making enterprises, which actually describes most large institutional endeavors including atheist organizations and scientific institutions.

For me, I am comfortable with my spirituality and encourage others to find their own, especially as they grow older. But suggesting one belief or religion is superior to another, for me, just raises a red flag that someone is trying to make money, and this goes as much for medical and scientific enterprises as it does for organized religions.

Observe how all money making enterprises insist they have the True Path to the Truth. It has always been so.

Last edited by richrf; 08-31-2015 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy