Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were to spend eternity with millions like yourself, would it be heaven or hell?
Heaven 24 60.00%
Hell 6 15.00%
Not Sure 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:35 PM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
I have no interest in being stuck in crowds for eternity. Which is why I'm glad the lights go out when we die.
How do you know that?

To answer the question, who in their right mind would pick hell over heaven?

From what I have read (those who had NDEs), there is not "crowding" in the afterlife because there is plenty of room. Also, you are with those you choose to be... that is why it is called "heaven!"

Then there are those who choose to reincarnate and live another mortal life on earth but after a short time (in heavenly terms) they will be back home again (their true home, the afterlife/heaven).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:47 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,662,386 times
Heaven of course!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:08 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Purgatory.

Of course most people are going to think heaven!
Why do you think people would assume that? My sister, and many other religious people, seem to believe that Heaven is a place where all the good people go and spend forever in an eternal Kum-Ba-Ya with other cheerful folks, singing and praising God all the time. The idea of having to spend forever praising God for giving me an afterlife in which I must perpetually thank him for it is my idea of a true hell. I prefer the idea of no afterlife at all. I die and become worm food to nourish the worm and give it life until it dies and nourishes another creature, and so on down the food chain

Old 11-30-2015, 10:44 PM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why do you think people would assume that? My sister, and many other religious people, seem to believe that Heaven is a place where all the good people go and spend forever in an eternal Kum-Ba-Ya with other cheerful folks, singing and praising God all the time. The idea of having to spend forever praising God for giving me an afterlife in which I must perpetually thank him for it is my idea of a true hell.
Those in the afterlife sing and praise God because they want to, not because they have to. However, they do much more than that. They do much of what they liked to do on earth... hiking, bowling, dancing, etc.

Quote:
I prefer the idea of no afterlife at all. I die and become worm food to nourish the worm and give it life until it dies and nourishes another creature, and so on down the food chain
That is a very depressing idea to have.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:59 PM

281 posts, read 25,186 times
I'd like to think of it as both. Heaven because you'd be around people with similar interests as you. Hell because there would be a lack of diverse people. I mean wouldn't you get tired of hanging around like minded people for eternity?

Old 04-17-2016, 06:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,749,557 times
This thread is 18 months old and it had 14 replies in that time. I think that says it all.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:08 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,299,314 times
Adhering to biblical fundamentalism, I'd definitely wind up in hell. I don't believe afterlife exists, so the issue seems irrelevant.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,329,503 times
A heaven of hippies! Sounds perfect.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:58 PM

18,924 posts, read 14,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I've pondered this exact thought many times because I think there is some validity to the concept. Like attracts like. Since I believe no external entity will be "judging" anyone, you, yourself will be "send" yourself to wherever you fit in. You'll of course fit in with those most like yourself. While I do indeed like myself, and think I'm a good person etc...., I would hate to live in a world with everyone exactly like me. What a boring existence !

I personally think we'll be attracted to those who are at a vibratory level are "like/similar" to us. This doesn't necessarily apply to our human personalities, or tastes etc..., but rather those at our vibratory level with our level of goodness/badness/caring/uncaring/helpful/unhelpful etc.... We may still have vastly different personalities or personal tastes.

I would see heaven/hell as no one place, but rather a continuum from worst to best with millions of segments in between. Segments so small you really can't tell the difference in vibratory level between adjacent segments.....but there are huge differences between the very bottom and the very top vibratory level. Words don't really do justice to what I'm trying to describe.....but hopefully my idea is clear enough for some to understand.
You got it.

You make your own heaven or hell. If you've cultivated a personality of selfishness, disregard for others, and aggression, being surrounded by like minded entities is not my idea of heaven.

If you've cultivated a personality based on selflessness, concern for others, and compassion; being surrounded by like minded entities sounds more pleasant than not.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 AM
Status: "Before saving for a rainy evening, see your xenial lawyer!" (set 5 hours ago)

19,320 posts, read 644,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If one’s condition and companions in the after life are based on similar traits, one should strive to be a person one would like to spend eternity with, rather than avoid for eternity.

In other words, if you were to spend eternity with millions like yourself, would it be heaven or hell?

Would it be a punishment to be excluded from others?
It would be "heaven"

First off I'm easygoing and down to earth

Secondly, I do my best to treat others the way I'd like to be treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy