U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:18 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,331,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Until proven otherwise, our individual consciousness' are one of a kind occurrences whose ending is quite real, quite final, and very dead.
We are no different than a dog, a rock or a tomato plant.

You know, That just doesn't work for me. My life has meaning. What I can't know or control, so what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:34 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,417,023 times
We die then live for eternity. The later point is difficult for those who think they can think and try to wrap their brain around eternity. Many of us default to a lock on to average life span which is really short changing Gods plan to worship Him while enjoying life whether short or long . God is selfish and want us ASAP so He designed life with a cap.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:44 PM

11,038 posts, read 4,774,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
We die then live for eternity. The later point is difficult for those who think they can think and try to wrap their brain around eternity. Many of us default to a lock on to average life span which is really short changing Gods plan to worship Him while enjoying life whether short or long . God is selfish and want us ASAP so He designed life with a cap.
There is no such god as the one you are describing.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:56 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,701,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
It's not the destination. It's the journey.

Talk about choices! Sometimes I think there are too many.

Your post presumes that "we," humans are more important than anything else in the universe. I don't hold that view. The universe was here before we were, and if the human race dies out, the universe will be here after we're gone.

All animals have parts that wear out. As we have seen, we can extend life by replacing and rejuvenating parts. But not forever. Nor would we want to, since new people keep being born.

If we don't get ourselves embalmed and we get our ashes scattered, we continue to live, in a way. We are recycled and become part of something else.

Physics says that the universe has a static amount of energy. If people are energy (and they are), our energy doesn't die, ever. It merely transforms into another form of energy, like all other energy in the universe. If you shatter a rock to smithereens with a hammer, the rock doesn't cease to be. The rock held energy. That energy is now dispersed into the parts of what the rock has become: small itsy bitsy rock, or rock dust.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,685,127 times
Personally, I look at the ability I have of pondering this subject in real time with people all over the world, and something in that tells me we are all here for a reason.

We have evolved this far out of the swamp by coincidence?

Nope.

A greater cosmic scheme, random or not, has caused us to evolve from amoebas to intellectual human beings who can fly to other planets.

Its quite amazing, really. And we are all part of it, somehow.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:38 PM

5,559 posts, read 3,661,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a very old book, written by Ben Franklin. One of his essays is about death. He believed that we souls are on a continuum. We all are on a journey. We are born to live on earth to gain wisdom and contribute something, then our bodies wear out and we are called back. We should not be afraid of the journey, because those who have gone before us are waiting for us there.
Yes. I never read this but I came to the same idea after observing Life in action.

We are born to experiment and learn. We carry Memories of our learning through one life (the small Evolutionary cycle) and through multiple lives (the big Evolutionary culture). We call these Memories inherited characteristics, in-born traits, natural abilities, etc. It is a wonder to behold.

Once one observes this for themself, life takes on an entirely new meaning. I shall make a point of reading more about what Ben had to say. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
We have evolved this far out of the swamp by coincidence?
This is a HUGE misconception about Evolution.

Quote:
MISCONCEPTION: Evolutionary theory implies that life evolved (and continues to evolve) randomly, or by chance.

CORRECTION: Chance and randomness do factor into evolution and the history of life in many different ways; however, some important mechanisms of evolution are non-random and these make the overall process non-random. For example, consider the process of natural selection, which results in adaptations — features of organisms that appear to suit the environment in which the organisms live (e.g., the fit between a flower and its pollinator, the coordinated response of the immune system to pathogens, and the ability of bats to echolocate). Such amazing adaptations clearly did not come about "by chance." They evolved via a combination of random and non-random processes. The process of mutation, which generates genetic variation, is random, but selection is non-random. Selection favored variants that were better able to survive and reproduce (e.g., to be pollinated, to fend off pathogens, or to navigate in the dark). Over many generations of random mutation and non-random selection, complex adaptations evolved.

To say that evolution happens "by chance" ignores half of the picture.
Additionally the thing folks don't seem know is that all galaxies including ours have habitable zones.

Quote:
The habitable zone is the region around a star where temperatures are just right for one of life's essential ingredients -- water -- to pool on a planet's surface.
Where there is water and the right temperature there will be the opportunity for life to evolve. We are not the only planet that resides in a habitable zone. Keep in mind it's a vast Universe out there with billions of stars and galaxies.

News | Exoplanet Anniversary: From Zero to Thousands in 20 Years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circum...habitable_zone

Last edited by Matadora; 10-07-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,685,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This is a HUGE misconception about Evolution.
No, its not.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...on_of_life.svg

Or were you going to state that God created Adam and Eve?

Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,210,495 times
I was watching some movie the other night that showed a shot of earth from space. Of course, I've seen this view many times, but this time it really affected me. There it was, this big ball, just hanging there and moving in orbit with the other big balls, one of which was ON FIRE and has been for a long, long time. I felt a bit sorry for the people on the bottom of the ball, but then I remembered the miracle of gravity. As I mentally "zoomed in", I thought about all of the different forms of life and how well they intertwine. The simple way that apple seeds become apple trees or the way that humans begin as a single fertilized egg (and how does it DO that?) and becomes a person. And how all of our parts are in the same place, but yet we are so different. And what's up with that 85% of our brain that we don't have access to? What's really in there? How do thoughts work and where do they go when I'm done thinking them? Basically, I found myself in total AWE of the world around me.

As it relates to the OP's question, I guess I would say that I simply feel that I'm in good hands. That whatever lies ahead is how it should be and I am simply along for the ride. The HYPHEN between your birth and death dates is what it's all about. To LIVE your life, to appreciate beauty, to help others, to be kind to every form of life. I'm not particularly religious, but every night before I go to sleep I say a prayer of gratitude to whomever might be listening and each night I'm ready to go...to wherever.

I have a favorite saying. "No one is actually dead until the ripples they made in the world fade away".

I try to make a lot of ripples.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
No, its not.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...on_of_life.svg

Or were you going to state that God created Adam and Eve?
Yes it is

MISCONCEPTION: Evolutionary theory implies that life evolved (and continues to evolve) randomly, or by chance.

CORRECTION: Chance and randomness do factor into evolution and the history of life in many different ways; however, some important mechanisms of evolution are non-random and these make the overall process non-random. For example, consider the process of natural selection, which results in adaptations features of organisms that appear to suit the environment in which the organisms live (e.g., the fit between a flower and its pollinator, the coordinated response of the immune system to pathogens, and the ability of bats to echolocate). Such amazing adaptations clearly did not come about "by chance." They evolved via a combination of random and non-random processes. The process of mutation, which generates genetic variation, is random, but selection is non-random. Selection favored variants that were better able to survive and reproduce (e.g., to be pollinated, to fend off pathogens, or to navigate in the dark). Over many generations of random mutation and non-random selection, complex adaptations evolved.

To say that evolution happens "by chance" ignores half of the picture.

Here is the link to the most common misconceptions about Evolution:

Misconceptions about evolution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy