U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM

94 posts, read 62,209 times

Advertisements

Life does feel absurd, doesn't it? We'll never know what's the point of all of this but we're damn sure that pizzas are delicious. Enjoy life while it lasts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:25 AM

1,021 posts, read 745,058 times
Psh, who wants to live forever anyway? You will eventually run out of things to do.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:41 PM

22,759 posts, read 16,836,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Psh, who wants to live forever anyway? You will eventually run out of things to do.
That's crazy talk! I have enough interest in so many things, it could easily last for a thousand years. Besides, by the time another 100 years goes by, I'd have even more interests.

As to the question, "why were we born?" Who knows. None of us actually know. Sure, some people think they know whether they be religious or very adamantly hateful towards religion, (which I've never understood, why does it matter to you if someone else believes in God and an afterlife? It does not affect you in any way, shape, or form, and if it provides comfort to that person, then what do you care?), the fact remains, none of us actually know.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:36 PM

2,600 posts, read 1,940,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
Life does feel absurd, doesn't it? We'll never know what's the point of all of this but we're damn sure that pizzas are delicious. Enjoy life while it lasts!
That's for sure, but make sure you don't litter your garbage around after finishing those delicious pizza (I'm just kidding, haha). Thanks for the nice comment.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
How do you know that we will eventually run out of things to do? Maybe there are tons of things to do, just that human race did not discover it yet, but it doesn't mean it does not exist. Of course, I agree that currently it does seem like the case, where we have only so much to do, and nothing more. I think is more of the limit that we human place on ourselves. On top of that, I am well aware that there are certain elements in life we simply have no control over it, such as weather.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's crazy talk! I have enough interest in so many things, it could easily last for a thousand years. Besides, by the time another 100 years goes by, I'd have even more interests.

As to the question, "why were we born?" Who knows. None of us actually know. Sure, some people think they know whether they be religious or very adamantly hateful towards religion, (which I've never understood, why does it matter to you if someone else believes in God and an afterlife? It does not affect you in any way, shape, or form, and if it provides comfort to that person, then what do you care?), the fact remains, none of us actually know.
Indeed, we live in a world with full unknown. Even though human race has made a lot of discovery in the past, but we don't know how many out there that we didn't explore or waiting to be explore.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:16 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,254,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
To feed the trees.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:18 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,402,398 times
If we didn't die (body-wise at least), the Earth would be cluttered with people. The planet cannot handle that. We already have millions(?) who aren't able to be fed properly, with the whole dying approach. It would be a mess if we all didn't go away at some point.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,752,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
When there is a beginning, there is always an ending.
Not necessarily. The universe is infinite, as far as we know. There is no end.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,752,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
We are no different than a dog, a rock or a tomato plant.

You know, That just doesn't work for me. My life has meaning. What I can't know or control, so what?
A dog's life has meaning, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy