U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:27 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,701,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I am curious, how do we determine what kind of energy we form into? Or where we fall as we transform into another form of energy.
Energy is energy, isn't it? That was a law of physics, as I recall, in a Physical Science class I took. That the universe has a set amount of energy. Energy cannot die. It merely transforms from one thing to another.

You mean what object or thing or being we might become part of? I don't know.

But people are energy. Their brains are like electrical circuits, aren't they? I'm getting into shaky territory here, since I'm no science expert.

But the energy law made a big impact on me, so I remembered that. If the essence of you is energy, then it cannot die. But you would not be aware of it, since you would no longer have the brain and the physical part of who you were. But your energy would go on. That's the physics, law, as I recall.

I also remember that everything has energy. Even a rock just sitting there is energy. The particles are held together by energy. If you smash it, it disperses the energy, but the energy does not cease to exist. It just becomes something else.

When you boil water until it goes away, the energy in the water becomes part of the air, as it dissipates into the air. So the energy in the universe is set. There is no new energy getting formed, or old energy dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 PM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Quote:
As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
The world is ever-changing. I'm not talking about global warming and the like; I'm talking about major shifts in geology and even atmospheric composition. The atmosphere used to have a lot more oxygen once; that's why insects were once so big.

What species could survive an ever-changing world if the species itself did not evolve? And how could species evolve if they were not subjected to the continuous task of rebuilding through rebirth?

All life would still be in the ocean if not for evolution. Got created. Stopped.......Makes no sense.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:27 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,963,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think a more interesting question is why didn't we Evolve with the ability to live 1000's of years with the attribute that the older we get the more beautiful we become?

The oldest Redwood is 5,000 years old.

The answer is that it's all about our genetic makeup.
Very interesting thought Matadora.
Could it be that we burn our candle brighter, and the trees just watch over us with mild contemplation and see our dubious mistakes?
Not trying to get mystical, just wonder what those old forests think of us. I think all living things have a certain amount of ability to sense and feel.
it shouldn't be all about us.

Last edited by TerraDown; 10-09-2015 at 12:36 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 12:35 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,963,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think you misheard the song, actually we are born to run.
I think he's/she's right. Born to run. Enjoy yourself while you can, and do as little harm as possible while doing so.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,239,673 times
Death is simply the complete breakdown of the body. Biological entities are simply machines - extremely complex machines in need of regular energy input and internal maintenance. Machines break down or wear out or are destroyed, especially unusually complicated and delicate ones.

Now, the ultimate driver behind the nature of biological individuals is evolution, and there are no significant evolutionary pressures in favor of biological immortality because all evolutionary pressures come down to hindering or favoring an individual's ability to make copies of its genes, and this is readily accomplished within finite lifespans for individuals.

Note:
There are a few species in which individual specimens appear to be able to exist indefinitely. However, that does not preclude deaths by accident or predation or denial of sustenance. Also, these species tend to be non-animals (ex: plants) or animals without brain (ex: sea urchins) or animals in which biological immortality is gained by regression to larval stage (ex: some beetles) and then redevelopment into mature specimens, in which the brain regresses and is redeveloped, thus even were these beetles sentient, their 'selves' would not survive throughout the duration of the lifespan of the individual. None of these species offer immortality for a mind or a self-awareness of any sort.

That's it. It's just biology.

Also, the ultimate fate of the universe inevitably means that nothing could live forever.

What exactly is the heat death of the universe and where can I find out more?

Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 AM

1,247 posts, read 1,090,177 times
That is because society do it to us on purpose and our parents are not educated enough to protect us from problems in the future. Right now some idiot is getting a kid high on SUGAR WATER ( kool-aide) right now. Some kid is playing too much videogames or reading too close to the book. Some old person is buying garbage

Old 10-20-2015, 10:07 AM

94 posts, read 61,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Death is simply the complete breakdown of the body. Biological entities are simply machines - extremely complex machines in need of regular energy input and internal maintenance. Machines break down or wear out or are destroyed, especially unusually complicated and delicate ones.

Now, the ultimate driver behind the nature of biological individuals is evolution, and there are no significant evolutionary pressures in favor of biological immortality because all evolutionary pressures come down to hindering or favoring an individual's ability to make copies of its genes, and this is readily accomplished within finite lifespans for individuals.

Note:
There are a few species in which individual specimens appear to be able to exist indefinitely. However, that does not preclude deaths by accident or predation or denial of sustenance. Also, these species tend to be non-animals (ex: plants) or animals without brain (ex: sea urchins) or animals in which biological immortality is gained by regression to larval stage (ex: some beetles) and then redevelopment into mature specimens, in which the brain regresses and is redeveloped, thus even were these beetles sentient, their 'selves' would not survive throughout the duration of the lifespan of the individual. None of these species offer immortality for a mind or a self-awareness of any sort.

That's it. It's just biology.

Also, the ultimate fate of the universe inevitably means that nothing could live forever.

What exactly is the heat death of the universe and where can I find out more?
Who's to say that the whole fundamental of biology is correct and/or objective?

Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 PM

5,084 posts, read 8,039,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Not necessarily. The universe is infinite, as far as we know. There is no end.
That depends on how you define the Universe. Apart from pure speculation, what is the basis to assume whether the universe is infinite or not in terms of size or longevity? Keep in mind the involvement of entropy.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 PM

569 posts, read 369,711 times
Quote:
As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
You really should quit from assumptions. I say you will get 0 for the today's math exam. So will you really do what I say?

However, assuing the worse is wise. But you could keep your bad assumptions to yourself. There are some people who always think they are on a ship of lolipops to a candy shop. Let's build them one.

Whether there is HIM or not, we should always assume we are always ready to perish. Welcome to my club.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,889,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
Who's to say that the whole fundamental of biology is correct and/or objective?
Exactly! Someone in the past discover Biology, and now it becomes the standard that we follow. Yet, we don't know if that's the truth or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy