Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I have a very old book, written by Ben Franklin. One of his essays is about death. He believed that we souls are on a continuum. We all are on a journey. We are born to live on earth to gain wisdom and contribute something, then our bodies wear out and we are called back. We should not be afraid of the journey, because those who have gone before us are waiting for us there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:57 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.
What other choice is there? Every single living being dies. We reproduce precisely because of this fact: To keep the species going, its population has to give birth to others.

In this regard, I'm curious about why there's always been this natural need to pass our genes to the next generation. Why did it get ingrained as a primary need for every organism? To the universe it shouldn't matter whether life exists or not but we're pushed towards procreation.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
As the title might sound negative, but is meant for discussion of why we were born and left with no choices but death.

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
I think you misheard the song, actually we are born to run.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:47 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:

This is not a religious matter, but if that's what you believe, that's fine with me.

I thought of this topic when I was listening to a radio music, and the album has like "Born to die", and that's where it triggers me to think about this. I started thinking why bother the cycle of life when we all know that we have to die some day.
You can live freely not worrying about the cycle of life , but society and bankers wont allow you to do so.

"Life is a wonderful dream, Death is the painful truth"

We are unconsiously marching towards death, if it becomes consious , we wouldnt bother too much when we live.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think you misheard the song, actually we are born to run.
haha, nice try.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
What an interesting topic! Some of the comments here are quite profound and thought-provoking. I tend to agree with Buddha, that we die because we lived.

A few years ago I had my telomeres tested. I volunteered for a study on the subject at UCSF Medical Center. Volunteers could choose either to learn their results or not to be told. I chose to be told. There's quite a bit of longevity in my family, so I was confident I'd have good results.

What a shock it was when a letter arrived in the mail announcing that my telomeres were in the lowest 20th percentile for my age group! (I was in my early 60s.) It was like having the rug pulled out from under me. Even though the researchers emphasized that the study is in its early stages, that there's still a lot to learn, and that we shouldn't make any assumptions about our health or our life spans based on the results, it still felt almost like a death sentence.

The knowledge that I might not have a lot of years left has made a profound change in my thinking. For one thing, I am grateful for being alive as never before, and I am kinder and more generous to myself because being confronted with mortality makes me realize it's important to make the most of whatever time I have left. For another thing, I decided to defy conventional wisdom on the subject and take Social Security benefits earlier rather than later!
Thank you!

Here's what I found interesting. I feel like there's a chain reaction that we cannot see or predict, yet, is in place. Change in perception change the way how we do things and react to certain situation. So, is very hard to make logical sense.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Me me me

Quote:

It's not about a person, it's about the greater whole. Life/death must be viewed in context.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Everything dies. Nothing lasts forever.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
because there is no real death. Only the ego thinks that. think of your skin or your blood, they are not the same as they were even a year ago, but you still have skin and blood. conservation laws apply everywhere as far as we know.
Until proven otherwise, our individual consciousness' are one of a kind occurrences whose ending is quite real, quite final, and very dead.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Here's what I found interesting. I feel like there's a chain reaction that we cannot see or predict, yet, is in place. Change in perception change the way how we do things and react to certain situation. So, is very hard to make logical sense.
You are right in your feeling. It's Destiny. Everyone has one. Everyone feels it, no one can fathom it.
Reason being, a human is limited to a perception of a single life. Human naturally thinks and makes assumption based on immediate environment and some other information available to that human. Human may acquire some "historical" knowledge.
But from the stand point of eternity, this is nothing. It's non existent. Only one that access to the real chain of existences, Self goes through, may see how the Law of Destiny operates.
Fortunately, not a single human has this power, and those that finally acquired that knowledge are not humans anymore.

Of course, there is this point of view:
Until proven otherwise, our individual consciousness' are one of a kind occurrences whose ending is quite real, quite final, and very dead.
But following this philosophy, you are dead the very moment you were born. Time in-between is null from the eternity perspective. So what's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy