U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 PM

72 posts, read 254,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it
I see no reason to assume that there's a "point" at all. I've never found one, and I don't really expect to.

The Buddhists say that life is suffering... and I reckon they have a point. An awful lot of it is just that. But there's some worthwhile stuff along the way- fleeting as it may be.

Personally I gave up on trying to be happy a LONG time ago- back when I was a teenager. Sure I'm happy sometimes- it comes and goes- but it's not my default setting by a long shot. But IMO 'happy' ain't all it's cracked up to be. I'd just as soon be interested. Or amused. Or feel love. Or accomplishment. Or wonder. These can be fleeting too... but so far they've been enough to get me by even when 'happy' isn't really available.

Oh, and don't kill yourself. I mean, having been a teenager I understand the impulse. But it's really hard on the people around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM

135 posts, read 115,753 times
Oh man I totally share the same thoughts as you, OP.

What I find ludicrous is that there is this agreed upon idea of success and it includes having a big house, nice car and other material possessions you waste your life for just so you can have a sense of validity in this world and gain the approval of others who don't really give a damn about your well-being anyway.

And even worse, once you've attained that or have convinced others you're on your way to it you have to produce offspring that have to jump through the same worthless hoops you did just so you can feel proud as a parent. Essentially you bring more human beings in this planet and from the get-go they are told they aren't good enough as they are, that they must become something else (this involves work and suffering, otherwise it hasn't any perceived value) and foolishly have to make their own money, buy their own house, etc while you yourself are living in a house with more empty rooms than occupied.

Take a look at the world around you. There is no compassion or love that is so mystically upheld in esteem. Because people have to spend most of their lives working they carry this dark cloud over their heads living in anything besides the present and very rarely are you able to go up to somebody with a smile and hug them and share joyous conversation and feelings. If you do that people think you are crazy or on drugs.

This is more so hell on earth than anything. It was designed this way. Your time and attention must be spent on things that don't serve your soul. Your empathy for anything must be sequestered.

The best way to keep a slave a slave is to convince them they are free.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:36 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,374,647 times
I agree and it's exactly why I stopped putting so much effort into a career because I'm not one of those people who value money and career over quality of life. Once I realized my job was hindering me from doing things I enjoy and I started to resent it, I quit. There's no point in working and you can't truly enjoy the fruits of your labor. Now that's going to vary by individual and essentially its' important to know yourself and know your limits.

Some people really enjoy their profession and love what they do which is great as it makes life a lot easier vs someone who shows up because it's contingent upon them having food on the table. Also there are tradeoffs for example, my fiancé is very career driven however that's not the case for me so I can substantially add to his life where as an equal career focused women wouldn't be able too. It's also why I understand why a lot of men do not prefer career oriented women because if he too is career oriented then it could be as though they're working at cross purposes. Both are putting their time and energy into their careers and not each other.

As for as children, I don't have any yet however like most parents I want my kids to be successful but that "success" will be defined by them and will not be my decision and I think its unfair for parents to pressure their kids to exceed their expectations. It's their life to live, not the parent and what they decide to do as long as it's legal should not be a disappointment. Not everyone is equipped to be a Doctor, lawyer, etc. and it doesn't make them any less of a human being for not choosing that route.

I have a friend that is upset because he daughter left college and came home. She wasn't happy and wanted to leave but she has found a job and is working so it's not like she came home to live off her mother. However my friend is more so disappointed because she can't brag about her daughter being in college to others when it's not her daughters responsibility to make her look good. As a mother she should want the best for her daughter and support her in her decisions even if she doesn't agree with them. She has time to decide what she wants to do and I actually think it's smart that she didn't stay in school like a lot of people and become "career students" because they really don't know what they want to do and don't want to become independent so they use school as a crutch.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

6,651 posts, read 18,610,771 times
Reckon the OP wants to starve to death. Food on the table means that someone worked to produce it...same with the house or bed they sleep in.....nothing is FREE unless a person spends their time in the open woods.

Guess they must walk around naked all the time w/o any clothes like Adam and Eve.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 AM

8,315 posts, read 9,755,560 times
Quote:
What's the point of life when we just work all the time?
The point of you working all the time to make money for upper crust. They can't play all the time if you don't work all the time.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM

7,751 posts, read 6,579,797 times
There is no 'point' to life, as a friend of mine says 'life's hard, and then you die'

Old 02-18-2016, 09:33 AM

9,014 posts, read 8,276,710 times
Literally just had a conversation about this last night.
I have also questioned the never ending insanity of non stop working....
I live in a place where the harsh reality is if you're not working you're going to be homeless
or on welfare- and honestly millions that are on government handouts don't
mind being leeches living off our taxes.

But my mindset is I'd rather earn my way through life...
Work, but not kill myself to work.....

I don't need luxuries- I've owned houses, new cars, etc. years ago.
That material stuff really doesn't mean much to me.
Having a steady income is essential for me, though, especially since I grew up dirt poor....
Something I never want to experience again.
Poverty sucks; no one understands that unless they've come through it.

I've encountered many people who have achieved 6
figure incomes here, & own the mansions, the expensive toys, etc.
Some have told me that it wasn't worth it; that they'd sell everything they own to be able to move away,
live in a tiny little studio somewhere away from the rat race & get a $10 an hour job somewhere.
Yesterday I ran into someone I worked with many years ago at a bookstore.
He came up to me, & I was pleasantly surprised to see him-
but wondered why he's still in the same position...(cashier)
Then I realized- it works for him. He hasn't aged a day in over a decade......
he's ridiculously happy & extremely positive
So if some people just stay stagnant making the bare minimum, so be it.
As long as they stay off welfare, it's all good.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:15 PM

14,277 posts, read 11,624,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The point of you working all the time to make money for upper crust. They can't play all the time if you don't work all the time.

I have always worked for myself; but not literally. I had owned my own business for five years; but thought I was working harder for the banks than I did for employers. When I said "working for myself" I mean that I work for my own good. I have always had a great work record; tackling any task that was thrown at me without complaint and trying to get the task accomplished better/faster/more reliably than coworkers. But this was all for me and not for the company. Work is my exercise program and I know that I would probably be dead if I did not have 'work'. I also wanted to build my resume to the point that I could go to any employer and tell them to ask any past employer for recommendations.

I am now 69 and still working part-time. I have had coworkers that told me I would work myself into the grave. But they are dead and I am still here. They retired and just a few years later died.

You look at human history. We were hunter/gatherers that walked/fought/scrounged and did whatever it took to survive. Sitting at the computer, laying in bed or texting on our smart phones is not exercise. If you really want to live long; you have to embrace life's challenges.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 8,829,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it
There are other ways to make money; working a 9 to 5 is just one way. I agree that it does seem depressing if your only option was a J.O.B. but it isn't. I made just over 1000 dollars today just by taking a few trades on the 6E futures. Total time spent about an hour. I DO NOT recommend this unless you are prepared to spend years studying the market.

Other people run online stores, invest in rental property, become an expert in a technical skill and charge for their time. There are probably hundreds of things you can do and not be a wage slave.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:40 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,768,083 times
To the OP, people can come up w/ more creative ways to live their lives than a mainstream 9-5 life. That drudgery could be "okay" to some, but if it isn't for another, than why do it? I can't see working some 40 odd years as a hamster on a wheel just for the "reward" of a big house or fancy car either. Alternates do exist. Some work part-time and live w/ less "stuff." Some work at a job where they can work maybe 3 longer days/week or 4 and have more "off" days. Some people choose a job/occupation they like or at least can tolerate. Doing something you despise 5 days/week for 40 odd years would be a life sentence, well, worse. Some become their own bosses, more independent.

Some people can put up w/ it if they have children that they love and find meaning in that. They work for a "reason." You can tolerate a lot if you find some "meaning" in all of it. For some it's their pets. Some find rewarding hobbies. Some find reward in their spiritual/religious practices. Some people belong to groups that give meaning (Animal protection groups, Charity groups, Car Lovers groups, Foodie groups, you name it). You have to come up w/ a package that works for you. It can take time.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 02-27-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or