U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM

9,534 posts, read 7,829,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And we could do without comments like yours.
Perhaps so, but IMO, somebody needs to say it!
I am fed up with these "Oh, poor me, I will have to actually WORK for a living!" children.
I lived with a potential suicide for several years, so I am fed up with them, also!
If you want to do it, just do it, don't talk about it.
Very few people really care, and they will forget about you very shortly.
suck it up and get to work.
It is YOUR life, make it the way you want it, or just give it up.
Whatever. It is YOUR choice!
Choose wisely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 04:45 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,186,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it
Sorry but while the means of survival are different, maintaining life has ALWAYS required work.

10,000 years ago, men had to go out, hike for hours to find an animal, kill it and drag it back home. Then even more hours were spent turning the carcass into useful stuff like food, clothing, tools, ect. and repeated the process again until they died. After hunter-gatherer living died out, a farmer had to work even more to tend to the crops/livestock.

If you live, you must work to ensure your survival, unless you are one of the lucky 1% that is living off the work of their ancestors. They may be freeloaders, but the work was still done by somebody. And those self-made millionaires were/are among the hardest workers of all.

Here's the truth... the universe doesn't care whether you live or die. Life is as meaningful or pointless as YOU make it.

So if it's up to you, why decide life is meaningless? Yea, you've gotta work 40 hours a week doing boring repetitive tasks to maintain your survival but there are 168 hours in a week... not a bad trade if you ask me.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,618,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am fed up with these "Oh, poor me, I will have to actually WORK for a living!" children.
I lived with a potential suicide for several years, so I am fed up with them, also!
Choose wisely!
I side with your comment more. A lot of people seem spoiled these days and seem to have missed the point that most of life is hard work and not that much fun. By the great mercy of God there has been a time period now when a decent percentage of people have been able to enjoy a whole lot of the luxuries that an average person's life across much of time has never experienced. And now they've somehow come to the conclusion that this is the norm. God may continue to be merciful to us, but He may not and we may soon be back to the hard life that most of the world through centuries past has known. Enjoy what you can of it if you are so fortunate to have much joy and good things in your life. Better yet, serve Christ and look to the better world where there is no pain and no more tears to be shed; for most people yet this life is one of much pain and sorrow.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:34 PM

6,652 posts, read 18,667,875 times
For a comfortable rewarding life best is to be in business for yourself......no 7-4 or 8-5 for me......4 day vacation every 3 months...self owned/started 6 different enterprises over a 36 yr period and none were a loser.

I would like to start another business today but my days here are numbered besides too many loafers are around.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,415,041 times
Most people work 40 hours a week and are awake 110+ hours a week, leaving 70+ hours a week for other stuff. But you seem to have major depression, anxiety, pessimism, stress, hopelessness. That isn't entirely normal, though you aren't the only one who feels that way. Has there been any part of your life that you've been happy & relaxed?

Sometimes a person who has emotional problems that are lifelong has a physical problem that has never been diagnosed. When I was about 50, a doctor suggested I may have a neurological disorder. Yes, half a century to get a diagnosis! This was essentially confirmed when about that time I had occasional access to a particular type of cannabis. It could make my body numb and when that happened, it made my anxiety and depression go away. Now, I haven't been able to get that type.

I did much research on the web & on webmd they had about 18-20 symptoms for multiple sclerosis and it seems I have all but 1 or 2 of the listed symptoms. My state has started the most restricted medical cannabis program in the country, allowing only 9 conditions of hundreds it can help. Fortunately, MS is 1 of the 9, but it's nearly impossible to find a medical person willing to sign, so I may have to die to enhance the income of scum, or move far away & never see friends & family again. So it makes me feel like I'm on death row.

Nobody should feel as bad as we do, but millionaires & billionaires can often become rich by doing almost nothing. Greedom, a situation where wealthy have more freedom.

If unending misery leaves you unable to work, major depression qualifies as a disability where the govt will send you some money. There is govt subsidized housing, too, so if you can't work, you should be able to get some $$ for a bare subsistence living. There's food stamp help, too.

Do you have any hobbies you can really get into that help you forget stress sources? Best wishes.

Quote:
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it

Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 PM

60 posts, read 90,269 times
I understand the necessity of work for life. I've been working to support myself since I left home and came to college. I understand that people have had to work since the beginning of time to survive. But why do we care so much about living? There's nothing good about it. Way too much time is spent at work for lif to be worth living. Working 5 days a week so I can enjoy 2 of them and have 2 weeks of vacation a year isn't a good life. Driving hundreds of miles to look at a bunch of rocks in the grand Canyon doesn't make up for the months of work I had to do to get time or money for that. Humanity as a whole puts too much emphasis on life l.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:45 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,349,730 times
Dear OP

You sound clinically depressed and should talk to a counselor at college. It is normal to be worried about graduating and what will happen but you are projecting very sad life that most people do not live. If your family has this dynamic then you need to talk to some happy, well-adjusted people.

Perhaps you don't like the career you have a degree for. Take a year off working at something you really like even if it is low-paying. When you enjoy what you are doing then money is less important. Like they say "When you love what you do you never work a day in your life".

I became a professional photographer and made very little money for years and years until I eventually became successful. But I loved what I did even while worried about money constantly. Some people choose the opposite--they are paid well but dislike their job. Its possible to get paid well at a job you love, I know some people like that. They are incredibly lucky.

Find out what you love. Until you do you will not be happy. Some people work at boring jobs but have incredibly happy family life. That takes a whole different search for someone who wants that too and will be a partner to create that together.

But talk to a mental health counselor ASAP. You need more help than this forum can give.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 PM

13,636 posts, read 8,559,902 times
Quote:
"Embrace the suck"
Military saying, but I've always bought into it.

It means, sometimes you can't control it, whatever "it" is to you, so you may as well make friends with it. You may as well knuckle down and give it the best effort and find something enjoyable about it.

At your stage and at your age you get to create whatever life you want. You don't have to work in a cubicle if you don't want. You can create a way of life that fits you. So if you take one of those jobs you describe and then declare yourself to be unhappy, then shame on you.

But I gotta tell you, the first step to unhappiness is college loans. Welcome to slavery, if you have done that to excess..

Old 10-16-2015, 08:30 PM

13,457 posts, read 4,976,974 times
ask a blood cell the same thing. we are not special.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:47 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,597,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Choose wisely!
And yet you're posting on this thread. You must not be as tired of it as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or