Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 05:20 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I'm having the opposite problem. What's the point of life when you're not at all financially independent?

Work should give you a sense of purpose...whether you're working for someone or working for yourself. If you are able to land a job, that's one step closer to freedom. The only requirements are just be smart with your money and have sensible expectations. When it comes time that you can't take your job anymore, you can move forward towards that by saving money to relocate get certification etc. for a job that would be comfortable for you.

Many of those people that don't have enough time most likely lack ambition. If you know what you want take steps to go after it and don't delay because then you're going to sit at home regretting that you did nothing with your life.

The hours don't matter that much at first. What matters is getting into a job that you would be okay doing. Sometimes you'd have to go through many jobs to get to one that is manageable in all aspects. Do not be consumed by greed. Wealthy people aren't always happy either. I'd rather be in a job that I'm comfortable doing making decent money than a job I don't feel right at making lots of money. That's not fair to me or the employer.
The bolded sentence above is very wise. A lot of high paying jobs cause insane levels of stress, just so people can come home and "relax" in fancy houses, then start the grind all over next week. They were born into the system and assume it's OK. A certain amount of comfort is worth the effort but I don't understand obsessing over luxuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 05:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Sort of. But if you have a commute of even just 30 minutes, you can cross off another 5 hours of your week. Another few hours a week are spent just getting ready to go work. Then, when you have "time off", you have to go grocery shopping, do your laundry, clean the house, do the dishes, get your oil changed, help kids with their homework, cook dinner, etc. Time spent doing things you actually enjoy or with people you enjoy can feel very limited.
Most of these things take less time than in the past...maybe not the commute, but a lot of people have less than that, depends on the place you pick to live. At least we don't have to grow our food in a garden and feed/butcher the livestock to eat! We do have appliances that wash the dishes and clothes while we do other stuff...same with cooking. "Youngsters" are so proud of their ability to multi-task - well, that's what you do with laundry, and cooking, and cleaning! You don't stand by the washer waiting for the cycle to end, do you? jeeeeeezzzzz.....

Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Clinically depressed or just clinically realistic?

Maybe OP is too rational and sees life for what it likely is: an ongoing struggle in which most people have to become wage slaves in order to have a comfortable existence. You have to work to finance the basic necessities of life.

Many studies seem to suggest that depressed people are simply not good at wearing rose-colored glasses; therefore, they often see life and life circumstances in an unfiltered, accurate way, which can be very depressogenic. Ignorance is often bliss, and folks who excel at deluding themselves into believing that their lives are better and more fulfilling than reality are often happier and more productive.

OP was brought into this world by someone else and forced to play the game of life. He has every right to feel as he does. He didn't ask to be here. The so-called 'gift of life' was given to him. But as he's gotten older and become more aware, he's realized that the so-called 'gift of life' comes with many strings attached -- not the least of which requires him to pay to play, to work and toil in order to fully actualize this gift. The gift isn't free at all.

Obviously every person who ever lived can make the same appraisal and can, therefore, rage against the unfairness and misery of life. But he has a right to say what he feels. To all the people who feel as if OP is a complainer or looking for sympathy -- you are not in his shoes, you don't have his particular mindset and personality, don't know much of anything about him or his experiences, so you can't accurately judge him. If you want to be some supposedly morally superior, John Wayne-esque, pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps tough guy/macho man, good for you. But one size does not fit all.

Life is and has been tough and uncaring for most people since the beginning of human history. People are at least entitled to rail at the capricious, indifference of life.
I think conservatives tend to be happier because of their "Just World" mentality. They can rationalize the cruel things that happen to people by convincing themselves they deserve it, which gives them a perverted sense of inner peace.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think conservatives tend to be happier because of their "Just World" mentality. They can rationalize the cruel things that happen to people by convincing themselves they deserve it, which gives them a perverted sense of inner peace.
Knock it off. My post said nothing of the sort, and I'm Conservative. Take your broad brush and paint yourself with it next time.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:57 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Most of these things take less time than in the past...maybe not the commute, but a lot of people have less than that, depends on the place you pick to live. At least we don't have to grow our food in a garden and feed/butcher the livestock to eat! We do have appliances that wash the dishes and clothes while we do other stuff...same with cooking. "Youngsters" are so proud of their ability to multi-task - well, that's what you do with laundry, and cooking, and cleaning! You don't stand by the washer waiting for the cycle to end, do you? jeeeeeezzzzz.....
This may come as a big a shock to you, but there are literally millions upon millions of people in the US alone that don't have a dishwasher. There are millions more who don't have washing machines in their homes. For others, going to the grocery store involves multiple bus transfers. I'm not sure what appliances you have that completely cook for you, but for most people I know cooking is still manual labor that requires thought, attention and time.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 PM

60 posts, read 142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Clinically depressed or just clinically realistic?

Maybe OP is too rational and sees life for what it likely is: an ongoing struggle in which most people have to become wage slaves in order to have a comfortable existence. You have to work to finance the basic necessities of life.

Many studies seem to suggest that depressed people are simply not good at wearing rose-colored glasses; therefore, they often see life and life circumstances in an unfiltered, accurate way, which can be very depressogenic. Ignorance is often bliss, and folks who excel at deluding themselves into believing that their lives are better and more fulfilling than reality are often happier and more productive.

OP was brought into this world by someone else and forced to play the game of life. He has every right to feel as he does. He didn't ask to be here. The so-called 'gift of life' was given to him. But as he's gotten older and become more aware, he's realized that the so-called 'gift of life' comes with many strings attached -- not the least of which requires him to pay to play, to work and toil in order to fully actualize this gift. The gift isn't free at all.

Obviously every person who ever lived can make the same appraisal and can, therefore, rage against the unfairness and misery of life. But he has a right to say what he feels. To all the people who feel as if OP is a complainer or looking for sympathy -- you are not in his shoes, you don't have his particular mindset and personality, don't know much of anything about him or his experiences, so you can't accurately judge him. If you want to be some supposedly morally superior, John Wayne-esque, pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps tough guy/macho man, good for you. But one size does not fit all.

Life is and has been tough and uncaring for most people since the beginning of human history. People are at least entitled to rail at the capricious, indifference of life.
I do think most people walk around with rose colored glasses. "I have to work 60 hours a week but at least I have 10 hours of free time a week and 2 weeks of vacation a year. I could be starving in africa". Sure you're better off that someone starving in a third world country but that doesn't mean life is great. I don't think people ever actually think about why we work so hard to live. They just assume life is worth living because that's what we're told.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:52 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
This may come as a big a shock to you, but there are literally millions upon millions of people in the US alone that don't have a dishwasher. There are millions more who don't have washing machines in their homes. For others, going to the grocery store involves multiple bus transfers. I'm not sure what appliances you have that completely cook for you, but for most people I know cooking is still manual labor that requires thought, attention and time.
That's true about cooking. The only one that would qualify is a microwave but you can't microwave all your food.
As for dishwashers, I'm not even sure they do much of anything. You still have to rinse off the food particles well and place it in the shelves in an organized fashion. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to just do it manually because I feel like all it does is make the dishes wet. I swear if I ever get my own house I'm not getting a dishwasher because it seems like an inconvenient convenience.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:46 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
I do think most people walk around with rose colored glasses. "I have to work 60 hours a week but at least I have 10 hours of free time a week and 2 weeks of vacation a year. I could be starving in africa". Sure you're better off that someone starving in a third world country but that doesn't mean life is great. I don't think people ever actually think about why we work so hard to live. They just assume life is worth living because that's what we're told.
I know exactly what you feel!

I myself feel it a lot of times... then I just knock it out of my head and go on. "I have a child to raise - once that is done, we'll see!" It helps. If you can't stand anything, just postponing life/or death may help to get you over the hump, when everything may fell different. Because, life as everything else - is truly what we think of it!

My solution to this particular problem is to view work as "temporary", until you get the financial freedom where your business earns your living, and you can do whatever else you want.

Now, there could also be a problem of simple inability to STILL enjoy anything... just because one's brain is wired like that. (Do you feel that way?) There are medical solutions for that. Because, seriously, once you start thinking like that, it's hard not to sink into thinking that nothing really has a point and purpose, as we'll all die, anyway. I keep myself from thinking that way because, like I said, for now I have a goal and purpose.

But yes, if you really can't enjoy anything (what if you didn't have to work?), it's best to check in with doctor (actually, several would be more like it): who'd look at this problem each from their side - chemical misbalance, biological wiring, psychological issues, etc... If one of them happens to strike a right diagnose, you may find your life worth living again!

Old 10-18-2015, 03:46 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
That's true about cooking. The only one that would qualify is a microwave but you can't microwave all your food.
As for dishwashers, I'm not even sure they do much of anything. You still have to rinse off the food particles well and place it in the shelves in an organized fashion. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to just do it manually because I feel like all it does is make the dishes wet. I swear if I ever get my own house I'm not getting a dishwasher because it seems like an inconvenient convenience.
Agree 100%
They don't save you any time in the long run and they don't get the dishes as clean as doing them the old fashioned way.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:12 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,313 times
Quote:
I used to feel the same way: too much trouble, might as well wash by hand!
And it took me forever (like a year or two) to get used to dishwasher after I've lived someplace without one. But! Once I was tired and just stuck the dishes in the way they were - no big food particles, of course, but no scraping off and def. no rinsing. Surprise!!! They came out just as clean!!
I wish I had written down the brand of that machine - that way, in case if I don't have the same luck (maybe, they are all like that nowadays, who knows?), I would know exactly what to get next time! When it's like that, then it's truly makes sense.

Also, some people like that dishwasher sterilizes the dishes. And saves water. And your hands, especially if, like me, your skin can split into lizard's scales and crack all the way through skin layers if dried out by touching dirt, dust or water too much. I know, gloves would help but I always "forget" to put them on, because when I wash by hand, I like to wash right after eating - and who wants to waste time putting on those gloves for just one plate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy