Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:54 PM

60 posts, read 142,797 times

Advertisements

Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
Well you need to work in order to have things in life. Like go places and do things with the opposite sex. Like for example you go to a bar and have money to buy drinks, then you can take a taxi home. You go to an sporting events. You buy good food for your body and clean water that is not hard on your throat. Things like that.

Right now I gave up my life and spent my money on garbage, and selfish things. I ran into the most beautiful vagina the other day and she said to me. "I need money". I did not have any. That is why, you need to work.

Working is also healthy. You need to keep working to have things to do. Without work your just like a freelance employee. You go from job to job.

Work is work. Even if you do not get paid. For example a home maker vs the house wife. House wives could basically do nothing all day long and not even clean or cook, but the home maker makes the place livable.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
You're just in the wrong country. There are many places around the world that people are not constantly working M-F, 9-5.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it

Did you come on here to find validation from similarly depressed people equally unshakeable in the "truth" of their logic? If so you'll find them.

On the other hand, if you have an open mind - you might want to consider that your mind is currently sick (and may have been for some time). Professional help is the best way to resolve this - but of course you have to motivate yourself to want to resolve it. I'd recommend getting help.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:44 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
The purpose of life is to experiment and learn.

I totally understand how life nowadays, especially for younger people, can feel like living like a serf. It is nothing like my generation.

Still hopefully there is an opportunity to learn to live a simple life that you may enjoy, meet and be among people that you might enjoy, and learn what you need to learn.

My life has always been a series of ups followed by downs followed by ups. It is the way of life. In time hopefully it turns for you. Good luck! And disregard those who do not understand. What they say it's not important. What matters is what you learn in this life.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:04 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,155 times
Quote:
Without knowing more particulars about you, ie. your major, post graduate asperations, economic situation, social situation, etc. its difficult to give any sort of advise or answer to your post. On a surface judgement of your post you seem to be lacking in the ability to find beauty and humor in your life. Perhaps your priorities need adjustment.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
My coworkers work 7-3:30pm and many of their wife's are SAHMs. That's not that bad.

Just have to choose the right job ...

Or move to Europe. My friends in Germany have 26-30 vacation days, sick days (unlimited but dependend on doctors note), paid maternity leave, and holidays. Some companies consider 35 hours/week full time. Full benefits. If you work overtime, you can take more leave whenever it is convenient. The weather there sucks though.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I'd say, it all boils down to what your life philosophy is. What is your goal in life. Any work can be very rewarding, as it provides you with opportunity to do something useful. Of course, if you chose a "Corporate account payable, Nina speaking, just moment" all day long job, that may be tough, but you still can do good.
Ever watched Peaceful Warrior? Main character asks his mentor, why he works at gas station. Response is: Serving others? What can be a better job?
It really boils down to the life philosophy. If you go like some posts here, you destined yourself to a lifetime of disappointment.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Believe it or not there are jobs that people like to do.

There are also jobs that have very generous benefits and time-off packages.

You also have the freedom, in most of the western world, to do what you want to do. You could make enough money to travel from city to city by boxcar and live a transient life.

You can meet up and couch surf and have great experiences.

Point being, I was like you at your age. Probably not as depressed, but I still had the same concerns. What you need to do is find something you're passionate about and do it. Chances are you can make some money doing just that. Depending on what it is you can make more money than you think. It just takes a bit of drive.

After you get out of your funk, you'll start to see that even though life is pretty tough, it is also amazing and awesome.

Most people ARE blind to our basic existence because they are providing for their families, and there's nothing really wrong with that. Just realize that everyone sees that differently and does think about "life" from time to time, but we also need to survive in this world as well.

It's just about finding balance, and you can't really have one without the other.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:58 PM

112 posts, read 130,590 times
Life is pretty much about just going on and on. Nothing to it. You make life bearable with hobbies & interests, but there is nothing to it really. Basically, you live because of not dying. You work to pay for the things to make your life bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy