U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2015, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
11,037 posts, read 4,785,679 times
Reputation: 7066

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
Any advice for a kid in his 10s? (It's funny when I said that). I've achieved nothing at life right now and I'm baffled and struggling to find a passion. Just one passion, what I'd love to do when I'm a grown up besides working a dead-end job for twenty to thirty years like in Office Space.
What has stifled your passion?

Despite my very brutal childhood, I had so much drive and passion in my twenties, today I still have that same drive and passion.

I often wonder if you either born with it or not. I have meet so many people who just go through the motions of life without any zeal or passion. I simply puzzles me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2015, 06:26 PM
 
13,192 posts, read 4,918,014 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
Any advice for a kid in his 10s? (It's funny when I said that). I've achieved nothing at life right now and I'm baffled and struggling to find a passion. Just one passion, what I'd love to do when I'm a grown up besides working a dead-end job for twenty to thirty years like in Office Space.
I achieved nothing special myself. No need to think that I did ... raised me kids and I will die. it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 PM
 
4,984 posts, read 5,051,814 times
Reputation: 6322
If you are a male and want to lay/have relationships with marginally attractive women, you better invest your twenties into the things the rest of the male herd invests their efforts, i.e. lucrative career, upward potential. Following a non mainstream path to "discover/enlighten" yourself will cost you. You can get away with alternative paths only when you are young, society accepts that. If you dont convert your sweet rebellion/personal quest into cash when you are in your 30s, you are screwed, another bout of depression is quite likely. Follow the herd, or prepare to pay the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
11,037 posts, read 4,785,679 times
Reputation: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
If you are a male and want to lay/have relationships with marginally attractive women, you better invest your twenties into the things the rest of the male herd invests their efforts, i.e. lucrative career, upward potential. Following a non mainstream path to "discover/enlighten" yourself will cost you. You can get away with alternative paths only when you are young, society accepts that. If you dont convert your sweet rebellion/personal quest into cash when you are in your 30s, you are screwed, another bout of depression is quite likely. Follow the herd, or prepare to pay the price.
This is not a very accurate assessment...possibly just your reality.

Following a non mainstream path will not cost anyone.

I followed it and it never "cost" me. One of my best friends who is a very attractive athletic high powered attorney also followed it and it never "cost" him either.

If you are a very attractive person who is interesting it does not matter what path you follow. There will always be drones of humans vying for your attention or affection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 09:03 PM
 
4,984 posts, read 5,051,814 times
Reputation: 6322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This is not a very accurate assessment...possibly just your reality.

Following a non mainstream path will not cost anyone.

I followed it and it never hurt me. One of my best friends who is a very attractive athletic high powered attorney also followed it and it never cost him either.

If you are a very attractive person who is interesting it does not matter what path you follow. There will always be drones of humans vying for your attention or affection.
I am not sure what you are talking about. I am getting that you've successfully converted your non mainstream path into something generating comfortable amounts of cash, and your friend' path outcome doesnt get more mainstream. High powered attorneys dont make pals with paupers or blue collar types. Now, imagine your non mainstream path' outcome without cash.

As for looks, nope, young looks without cash work on younger girls. The aging male looks must have certain amount of status/money attached to be effective, it is a package that cannot be split.

Again, TS must make sure that he can convert his non mainstream path into cash at the end, if he was depressed in his teens, being broke, low status, no career, no desirable mate, semi- isolated guy in his 30s would feel like hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
11,037 posts, read 4,785,679 times
Reputation: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about. I am getting that you've successfully converted your non mainstream path into something generating comfortable amounts of cash, and your friend' path outcome doesnt get more mainstream. High powered attorneys dont make pals with paupers or blue collar types. Now, imagine your non mainstream path' outcome without cash.
You are missing the point. My friend is non-mainstream in lifestyle. You could not be more incorrect about my friend. He uses his money to sponsor high school FFA students, to donate to many who are less fortunate. He gives talks to high-school students about making the most of their journey in this lifetime, he donates to the temple of a Monk that we befriended 15 years ago...I could go on and on. He is also very handsome and never wanted to have kids or get married. He does not possess the unenlightened mind that you displayed when you said this:
Quote:
If you are a male and want to lay/have relationships with marginally attractive women..
In fact my friend would never see another human as a pauper or blue collar type. His mind is much more advanced and compassionate towards humans than that.

Sounds like you should have spent more time on an enlightened path. It does not take your suggested recipe for a young male to have relationships with women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
As for looks, nope, young looks without cash work on younger girls. The aging male looks must have certain amount of status/money attached to be effective, it is a package that cannot be split.
We are talking about people in their 20's and good looking 20 year old's who are interesting and have a personality have no problem finding attention or forming relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Again, TS must make sure that he can convert his non mainstream path into cash at the end, if he was depressed in his teens, being broke, low status, no career, no desirable mate, semi- isolated guy in his 30s would feel like hell.
Life is not all about a guy trying to get laid or date around as you suggested in your post. The sooner a young guy figures this out the better off he will be.

Now back to the real topic.

The OP is in the prime time of his life to go on his journey of self-discovery and figure out what he really wants in life and then make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 10:59 PM
 
4,984 posts, read 5,051,814 times
Reputation: 6322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You are missing the point. My friend is non-mainstream in lifestyle.
My post had nothing to do with lifestyles. One can afford a non mainstream lifestyle, if he has desirable mainstream career/financial outcomes. And the other way around.

Quote:
He uses his money to sponsor high school FFA students, to donate to many who are less fortunate. He gives talks to high-school students about making the most of their journey in this lifetime, he donates to the temple of a Monk that we befriended 15 years ago...I could go on and on.
He was enlightened just enough to avoid spending all that energy and talents to pursue something that would have resulted in him having much more intimate relationships with less fortunate, that was my suggestion to TS.

Quote:
He does not possess the unenlightened mind that you displayed when you said this:
All your alleged enlightement cannot argue that observation each and every of us can verify using our unique set of the social data points, so you resort to an argument from a spiritual authority. Cheap.

Quote:
In fact my friend would never see another human as a pauper or blue collar type. His mind is much more advanced and compassionate towards humans than that.
Who cares? Those folks are not his pals. TS will make pals with those folks unless he's to follow an enlightened path of your friend to a watering hole.

Quote:
We are talking about people in their 20's and good looking 20 year old's who are interesting and have a personality have no problem finding attention.
20 y.o. who is interesting and have personality, those are euphemisms for a guy destined to convert his personality into upward movement. Get real. Exactly the same guy, with exactly the same interesting personality will fare much worse in his 30s unless he can show some goodies by that time. Great chances are his audience will be limited to the people unable to fully appreciate all that profound richness of his personality and intellect, IF he cannot deliver something that mainstream finds to be desirable and higher status.

Quote:
Life is not all about a guy trying to get laid or date around as you suggested in your post. The sooner a young guy figures this out the better off he will be.
If TS will not be able to please mainstream expectation of success, his life will never be about getting laid, the willing women will be scary and/or fat as hell in the best case. Dont even think about using enlightened crutch to deny reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 N, 🌄W
11,037 posts, read 4,785,679 times
Reputation: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
My post had nothing to do with lifestyles.
Sure it was. Do you need me to refresh your memory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
If you are a male and want to lay/have relationships with marginally attractive women, you better invest your twenties into the things the rest of the male herd invests their efforts, i.e. lucrative career, upward potential. Following a non mainstream path to "discover/enlighten" yourself will cost you. You can get away with alternative paths only when you are young, society accepts that. If you dont convert your sweet rebellion/personal quest into cash when you are in your 30s, you are screwed, another bout of depression is quite likely. Follow the herd, or prepare to pay the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
He was enlightened just enough to avoid spending all that energy and talents to pursue something that would have resulted in him having much more intimate relationships with less fortunate, that was my suggestion to TS.
Nope wrong again. He had a very long lasting intimate relationship. He just never found it appealing to have a ball and chain around his leg. His intimate relationship wanted to marry him and start having babies. He wanted no such thing and to this day has no regrets about that decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
All your alleged enlightement cannot argue that observation each and every of us can verify using our unique set of the social data points, so you resort to an argument from a spiritual authority. Cheap.
This sentence makes zero sense. Care to try again?

This has nothing to do with spiritual authority...it has to do with your very disrespectful view of women and humans in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Who cares? Those folks are not his pals. TS will make pals with those folks unless he's to follow an enlightened path of your friend to a watering hole.
He cares and the people he helps care. It's a huge deal for those less fortunate to be helped out.

What have you got to offer? Calling people paupers and blue collar? Suggesting to the OP what kind of life they need to live in order to get laid or have relationships with marginally attractive women?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
20 y.o. who is interesting and have personality, those are euphemisms for a guy destined to convert his personality into upward movement. Get real. Exactly the same guy, with exactly the same interesting personality will fare much worse in his 30s unless he can show some goodies by that time. Great chances are his audience will be limited to the people unable to fully appreciate all that profound richness of his personality and intellect, IF he cannot deliver something that mainstream finds to be desirable and higher status.
You need to get real. The OP is a female and if you check out her other posts you will realize that she has much worry about than getting laid or viewing others as paupers or blue collar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
If TS will not be able to please mainstream expectation of success, his life will never be about getting laid, the willing women will be scary and/or fat as hell in the best case. Dont even think about using enlightened crutch to deny reality.
Again you make no sense at all.

The best thing the OP can do is to get her head on straight, figure out who she is, work on her self esteem, self respect and get a a good education in order to support herself and live the life that she envisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 11:55 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 861,391 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
I'm almost 23. I spent my teens in a great depression, but i am finally emotionally healthy now. I feel like i wasted so much time. Time is moving so fast, i feel like i'm choking. What are some things i must do in my twenties to not waste it, now that i'm still at my biological peak, as are my peers? When i hit 30, my energy, looks, cognition, etc will decline.
Lol at your last line. I'd advise you read some books to smarten up a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 06:12 AM
 
4,984 posts, read 5,051,814 times
Reputation: 6322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Sure it was. Do you need me to refresh your memory?

Nope
It seems my posts just trigger your projections barely related to the points I've made. You try to deny the obvious realities of the status driven society using a convoluted example of your friend who had enough of common sense in him to go with the status flow (while holding all those uplifting, equitable , enlightened views. What a sweet combo.)

If TS a woman, if she will avoid getting fat, nasty, opionated, intollerant, medicated for proper brain chemistry, and thoroughly indoctrinated into uber selfishness message of woman liberation, she will do good. It seems it is too late for the last one. A reasonable career wouldnt hurt ether if there is no chance for a good partnership. A new breed of millenian men adopted so many feminine qualities, among which: they tend to have relationships only with women of equal or higher status/income. Good looks, if any, no longer an assured security ticket. Self-discovery gets boring fast for most, if you are not a part of a crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top