Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather be blind or dead?
blind 38 58.46%
dead 27 41.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:34 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I can't see the point in this
Me neither. It's a dumb question to ask people on here that are mostly sighted.

OP, go ask a bunch of blind people and I'm sure you'd find that most of them are happy to be alive.

I have a blind friend who is also disabled (in a wheel chair) and on dialysis. He was a big wig CEO and diabetes hit him in his 30's. He wouldn't even consider wanting to die. He loves life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 05:14 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times
Being blind is one of the biggest things I fear. It would just make for a miserable life to lose eyesight all together. Blind in 1 eye is ok. it's not ideal, but still sight. But both...ugh.

My vision is already not good. I am already limited. I am only recently learning to drive, because I had to have special glasses made, and can not drive without them. Then I am also limited because I will not be allowed to drive anytime it's dark outside. Even if it's just 8:00, still can't be out then. And I hate that, far as social life goes. But better than being totally blind. So I have no room to complain.

So, I would rather die with eyesight, than without where I basically just existed without much else and too much hassle.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:24 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,817 times
Wow, I can't believe the poll is this close! This is indeed interesting and I would like to see a scientific study on such a phenomenon.

Sight is only one of our senses, and if I were to lose my sight I would still enjoy what life has to offer!

The smell of my wife's hair and fresh cut grass in the summertime. Listening to a Cole Porter album. The taste of a fresh Philly steak sandwich. The sound of my father telling the same story for the hundredth time. My sister punching me in the shoulder and calling me names.

I could literally go on and on and any one of these would be worth living for.

Very interesting.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I don't close either.

I am a deaf-blind senior who lives with two cats in an isolated community. I buried my children and outlived my friends. I have no way to collaborate or network as there is no public transportation where I live.

I am not ready to die. I want to hang around to see what comes my way next. BTW, if you are patient and kiss enough frogs your best caretaker will come to your door; it took me three years.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Me neither. It's a dumb question to ask people on here that are mostly sighted.

OP, go ask a bunch of blind people and I'm sure you'd find that most of them are happy to be alive.

I have a blind friend who is also disabled (in a wheel chair) and on dialysis. He was a big wig CEO and diabetes hit him in his 30's. He wouldn't even consider wanting to die. He loves life.
Exactly. If they actually became blind, I bet they'd change their mind about wanting to die in a trice. I know. I have many blind patients who are still alive and grateful for that

Old 12-08-2015, 11:20 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I am blind and in a wheelchair. I have been close to death many times and my family have been told over and over that I would not survive the night.

I have been seriously depressed and have landed in psych wards. My problems have been the physical pain and the fact that I feel that I am such a burden to my family.

When I went to the McDowell School for the Blind in Louisville, Ky I met some truly wonderful people. Although I was blind I still had my eyes- there were several people who had their eyes removed. I had my family while there were some that had spouses divorce them when they lost their sight.

This was a live in facility and I was there for 6 months. I was so lucky that my Husband was able to come and get me for the weekend (we lived only an hour away).

We s a group had so much fun! We made light of our mistakes (burning food, dropping things because we missed the table) the best times were when we had had group craft night. There we were with hot glue guns and there were so many squeals of pain when we misjudged where our fingers and hands were.

We made ice cream by using a coffee can and rolling it from person to person. This was supposed to help with hearing when things were near, but many shins were casualties of the ice cream wars. It was so funny because every morning after craft night there was a line for the nurse.

I knew how lucky I am to have had sight at all. I knew what colors were and how absolutely beautiful things were. My boys were older teenagers, so I have a pretty good idea what they look like as men. I wish I could know what my Grandbabies look like, but I take so much joy hearing them laugh and having them climb on my lap for hugs and kisses.

Being blind is hard, but being alive has such joyous moments; missing those moments would be more painful than anything.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:26 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
I would rather be blind but if I was deaf & blind then I would want to be dead.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:51 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53
Sorry, you can't guilt someone into changing who they are and how they feel.
No if they have a strong mind IT WONT WORK (They wont change for anyone)

Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
I think it might seem easy for a sighted person to speculate the fear of losing one's sight, but for those who live this on a daily basis (and yes, do have a wonderful quality of life) then the question is rather insulting.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:19 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,043,147 times
having been deaf for about 3 weeks before I'm not sure I'd rather be blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy