U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,733,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
I
Thoughts?
Nietzche went insane with despair. He died while seeing a horse being flogged.
I hope he has found peace. Other than sympathy, I have no assessment of
his thoughts that I consider worthy of repetition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 03:40 PM

11,038 posts, read 4,774,838 times
Quote:
Thoughts?
I took philosophy courses as electives in college way back in the day and I recall us reading about Nietzsche.

I only recall that he used this concept to explain Déjà vu.

I have not read much of Nietzsche's work but I have to say he did have some very insightful views...such as this.
Quote:
Christianity as antiquity -- When we hear the ancient bells growling on a Sunday morning we ask ourselves: Is it really possible! This, for a Jew, crucified two thousand years ago, who said he was God's son? The proof of such a claim is lacking. Certainly the Christian religion is an antiquity projected into our times from remote prehistory; and the fact that the claim is believed - whereas one is otherwise so strict in examining pretensions - is perhaps the most ancient piece of this heritage. A god who begets children with a mortal woman; a sage who bids men work no more, have no more courts, but look for the signs of the impending end of the world; a justice that accepts the innocent as a vicarious sacrifice; someone who orders his disciples to drink his blood; prayers for miraculous interventions; sins perpetrated against a god, atoned for by a god; fear of a beyond to which death is the portal; the form of the cross as a symbol in a time that no longer knows the function and ignominy of the cross -- how ghoulishly all this touches us, as if from the tomb of a primeval past! Can one believe that such things are still believed?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:18 AM

94 posts, read 61,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I only recall that he used this concept to explain Déjà vu.
This makes no sense to me. If eternal recurrence implies that every action, every act, every thought will be repeated then how is it possible, that you are aware of the recurrence itself? Cause, you know, deja vu is a part of thinking, no?

Old 11-12-2015, 11:10 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,083,823 times
I can't fully explain this, though I would assume that's the point; most of this/these sorts of thoughts/thought experiments are unsolvable/unfathomable...

That being said I believe that we are constantly being reborn and dying all at once. Whether you want to say that this is happening in multiverses or parallel worlds or even after/before death, then that's what I believe.

Our life is just one part of a journey. We don't remember before life, but we do not know after death.

It is quite possible that our consciousness carries over to another vessel; its also possible that we go dark for thousands of years before we're needed again.

But given the age of the universe and given our very, very, very brief time on a floating rock, which is essentially a half blink of an eye, to think we are significant due to our perceptions, is eternally laughable.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:01 AM

11,038 posts, read 4,774,838 times
Quote:
This makes no sense to me. If eternal recurrence implies that every action, every act, every thought will be repeated then how is it possible, that you are aware of the recurrence itself? Cause, you know, deja vu is a part of thinking, no?
Have you ever been in a new situation where you've thought...hey this seems very familiar...like I have been here before?

Nietzsche used his time is circular idea to explain this phenomenon that all of us experience in our lifetime at one time or another.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:16 AM

5,792 posts, read 9,256,148 times
Quote:
Interesting posts above. The eternal recurrence used to be viewed as some sort of pseudo-scientific explanation, but according to current Nietzsche interpretations he was after something else entirely. The idea that everything might repeat itself endlessly (good quote from The Gay Science--there is a similar thought in Thus Spake Zarathustra, with the path leading to the gate) struck Nietzsche as horrible. It's meant to be depressing. He had a pretty sad life according to modern standards, being sick all the time, and losing friends because he couldn't put up with their idiosyncrasies. But his vision was not of a deja vu, or an actual endless repetition of the same--it is a "what if"-idea. What if you found out that everything repeats itself endlessly--then what would you do? Would you be crushed under the horrible realization? Or would you become a nihilist and shrug it off, and claim that nothing matters? Or would you be strong enough to choose the only life-affirming option: accept the recurrence? It is, according to Walter Kaufmann and other Nietzsche scholars, intended to be a test of whether you really, truly love life. Even when life behaves at its worst, would you be willing to say, Okay, let's have it one more time? Nietzsche is not making any predictions about Big Bangs/Big Crunches, or reincarnation, or deja vu's. He's asking us if we love life enough to accept a hypothetical, endless repetition of the same hurts and pains. That's quite a challenge.

By the way, he didn't die while watching a horse being flogged (post #11), he had a severe episode of mental collapse.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:30 PM

2,550 posts, read 4,633,861 times
And why do you think that would be so terrible?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:24 PM

94 posts, read 61,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
And why do you think that would be so terrible?
I don't know. I'm not a philosophy major so I'm not used to this kind of stuff. It's just that, the idea of living the same life, doing the same stuff over and over again for an eternity without realizing it is f*cking terrifying, to be honest. What's the real purpose of all of this anyway?!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 AM

2,550 posts, read 4,633,861 times
Quote:
I don't know. I'm not a philosophy major so I'm not used to this kind of stuff. It's just that, the idea of living the same life, doing the same stuff over and over again for an eternity without realizing it is f*cking terrifying, to be honest. What's the real purpose of all of this anyway?!
And why things should have a purpose?

Old 12-04-2015, 01:55 PM

11,628 posts, read 7,199,518 times
I would be fine with it.

I often wish that I could sit down, write a series of changes I would make, go back, and live a bit differently. Or rather, I wish that I could upload all of the information from my brain, along with all of the history of the world as it exists, into a magnificent computer of some kind (as theoretical a machine as Deep Thought) and then make tweaks to the program, using "if, then" logic, to see...if I had done this thing differently, what would my life have looked like at this later point?

I wish I could do that. Peer into the collapsed probabilities left behind by my choices.

But in general, I have loved my life. And continue to do so. And I don't see how it would matter, as I would have no awareness of the repetition. And I don't see how it would matter, as we have no real guarantees that in fact our lives have any meaning at all. We have faith...beliefs. But no sound way to know.

I personally think that the entirety of the Self is nothing but the functions of mind and body, that the soul is naught but a form of living energy, and that when we die it simply disperses to feed the life energy of everything around us. In a manner that perhaps one day we will measure scientifically. Not in a direct one soul to one living thing ratio, such that we could be reincarnated into the life of a sloth or a fish...but simply energy scattering to be picked up and reused in other ways. But this is only a theory, and no more or less valid than that of a Christian who believes in Heaven and Hell, or someone who believes we become ghosts, or someone who believes in reincarnation.

I don't see any reason to despair at this thought. But again...I love life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or